Watchman

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I have a small home in a great location that is not a gated area.

We don`t keep much in the house other than surfboards and clothes, no jewelry or anything fancy. Even our TV is old and dated.

However, with the recent crime wave, I want to have an armed guard. What are people`s experiences with them? I have been told that Dominican Watchmen is the best, but thought I should check here to see what people have to say.

Thanks in advance!

T

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
The price is usually RD$ 60 per hour, and upwards.
Minimum contract is usually 1 month.

Minimum contract is one shift, each shift is 12 hours.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Bargin Watchman...

What area do you live in? $7k for a watchman (7day/week) is a great price. If he is armed with a 12 ga. (his own) that is an incredible price. PM me and let me know if he has a brother that will work in the Las Galeras area. gracias in advance. ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is a lot easier to get a watchman than to get one that stays awake. You have to keep the watchman moving if you want him to stay awake. If he sits in a chair with his shotgun across his knees, he will sleep much of the night. At El Neptuno, where I live, we bought a watchman clock and installed several key stations. The watchman keeps going back and forth between those key stations. At each, he puts a key in the clock and turns it, marking the time on the paper insert. Each morning the administrator checks the insert and if she sees any gaps between the entries, the watchman has a lot of explaining to do. We adopted this system after years of sleeping watchmen. It has worked very well for us.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
It is a lot easier to get a watchman than to get one that stays awake. You have to keep the watchman moving if you want him to stay awake. If he sits in a chair with his shotgun across his knees, he will sleep much of the night. At El Neptuno, where I live, we bought a watchman clock and installed several key stations. The watchman keeps going back and forth between those key stations. At each, he puts a key in the clock and turns it, marking the time on the paper insert. Each morning the administrator checks the insert and if she sees any gaps between the entries, the watchman has a lot of explaining to do. We adopted this system after years of sleeping watchmen. It has worked very well for us.

In Ecuador Watchies usually had no arms (that may have changed by now)... but a sports whistle. All night they were expected to walk the hood and whistle every couple of minutes... yes, one get's used to it and wakes up when the whistling stops, which can only mean one of four things:
  1. Watchie got whacked.
  2. Watchie took a hike.
  3. Watchie fell asleep.
  4. It's morning and time for you to get up anyway.
In most cases I experienced for more than 3 years, it was clear case of #4.
Only once we had a #3 and the Watchie got fired!
And twice we got a #5 which is the whistle going of like crazy while the Watchie was running withing the development trying not to perform a #2 or suffer a #1. Both times very successfully... neighbors all called the police and the disturbance was removed and the Watchie given a brand spanking new whistle and some shoulder clapping.

:)

... J-D.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting, J-D. Same idea: keep them moving and make it easy to check on them, a procedure they know is in existence. This is the only way to be sure watchman is awake.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
I am very interested in trying to implement a system such as this. Does anyone know the cost? Or where I can go to buy the system?