Organic Milk & Eggs

EK07

Jun 2, 2007
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your advice/help in the past on organic food. I have visited Organica and unfortunately they do not have organic milk, eggs or cheese. Does anyone have any good suggestions where we can get this? In Santo Domingo......

Huge thanks,
Eric

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your advice/help in the past on organic food. I have visited Organica and unfortunately they do not have organic milk, eggs or cheese. Does anyone have any good suggestions where we can get this? In Santo Domingo......

Huge thanks,
Eric

Organic eggs can be gotten from a hen.

I knew a gypsy in Germany... had the fanciest trailer of'em all and a Rolls Royce to pull it! He would always dress like the mafia bosses in the 30's... it was always quite a show! As excentric as he was, he also had a faible for fresh goat milk... so, a goat soon became part of the traveling outfit... luckily he did not care for elephant milk because when they traveled, the goat got packed into the trunk of the Rolls Royce!
That's how you get guaranteed organic milk.
Goat milk makes great and healthy cheese quite easily too.

... J-D.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
eggs from a hen are organic so long the hen is organic herself and preferably free ranging which makes it even harder to determine its "organicity". Keep in mind that Dominican farmers use Roundup and other fertilizers like tourists spray mosquito repellents.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Surely Roundup is a weed killer not a fertiliser? My chickens live up in our orchard where nothing is sprayed with anything - does that make them organic?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I hope

eggs from a hen are organic so long the hen is organic herself and preferably free ranging which makes it even harder to determine its "organicity". Keep in mind that Dominican farmers use Roundup and other fertilizers like tourists spray mosquito repellents.

Hope that they are not using a herbicide as a fertilizer, kind of has the opposite effect.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Having said what I did before about the chickens which are in the orchard, that makes our milk from our cows in the homefield organic too

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004

That was my (in between the lines) point. What is going to tell you that the egg or milk sold to you as "organic" indeed is organic? The label? The higher price?
Even in the US and Europe, there has been big discussions about the "organic" hype.
If you want it, you will have to get YOUR hen, goat or whatever and feed it yourself... thats only way you will know what you eat.

And yes, RoundUp is a weed killer only. It degrades fast and becomes neutral when in contact with wood or soil (dirt). So, you can spray it around trees without harming them. It goes into the plant thru the leaves, migrates down and attacks the root and thus kills the weed effectively.

... J-D.

Last edited:

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
You might be right on the RoundUp neutrality but, if I have the choice of controlling the weeds manually or spraying them with chemicals ("officially" safe or not), I'll pick the chemical free option. It is a personal choice. Over the years, Science has often proven to contradict itself.

And yes, I agree that the proof is in the making. If you want true organic, grow your own food and if you can't, get involved with people that do so you can enjoy it as well.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Back to the OP - did you try the Mercado Ecologico in Mirador Sur? They sell 'huevos criollos' as part of their weekly list of products. These are the closest you'll get to free-range/organic eggs in the DR. They also sell quail eggs (huevos de codorniz) and sometimes duck eggs (huevos de pata) .

From time to time they also sell milk and other dairy products. If they are not currently featuring this option they would at least be able to tell you who their suppliers are, but that would probably mean a trip to the campo.

Their precise contact details can be found on a number of threads here on DR1. If you want to find out about organic certification in the DR, Andrea at the Mercado Ecologico is the person to speak to there.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I just read an interesting article about RoundUp. As I mentioned, don't always believe what the label or scientific studies (paid by the manufacturer)say:

The SunPost: This Week's News

and other links

RoundUp Herbicide Toxicity
June Russell's Health Facts: Pesticides: 2,4-D and Roundup (Gglyphosate)

Boy, am I glad I never drank it :)
No, on a more serious note, I never looked at it as something safe to spray around my food, or worse on it. it's a herbicite... I deem it toxic / poisonous, it's supposed to KILL. The reason we used it around houses and developments, was that it would not harm/kill trees as it is said to make the same "neutralizing" reaction when in contact with wood as with soil (dirt). That worked well.
Now, one of the links posted above tells a far more worrisome story: So, they genetically fumble some (food)-plant so it won't die when in contaminated with the herbicide?!?! What's wrong with these guys? And then they blame the herbicite... go figure!

... J-D.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
i would put them all in the same bag, herbicite, genetically modified crops, ...etc.

The most important aspect of those articles is the constant reference to misleading scientific studies and consequential labeling on product. Nowadays, you cannot believe what's on the label.

I live on a finca and can tell you that RoundUp has had negative effects on people and animals there. glyphosate, the main ingredient of RoundUp, does not neutralized fully and stays active, especially in contact with water. During rainy season, large quantities can travel a great distance to agricultural lands, rivers and animal toyas.

Most municipalities in DR spray RoundUp constantly along the roads which concerns me a great deal. I have seen many times RoundUp being sprayed between rows of citrus trees in the Cibao valley which worries me even more.

and then, that's what happen:
China Not Sole Source of Dubious Food
http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=24736