Geneaology resources in DR...

Lilya1

Jul 24, 2007
I live was raised in the US but my parents and the rest of my family is from the DR, (they emigrated in appr the 80s).

I have always wished that we could be like some of the American kids in my class who have written records, family trees, and so forth dating back to the American revolution and beyond.

Since Dominicans have such diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds (at least I think so) I was wondering if there are any great resources such as family centers, libraries, geneaologists and so forth in the Dominican Republic that can help me track down or put together a family tree of my own. I would like to know what and if any of my relatives came from Europe and how far back they go.

I know some surnames (maternal and paternal grandparents, maybe great grandparents) will this be of any help to me?

I have heard that the DR keeps horrible records...and my own father wasn't even born in a hospital there and they didn't sign papers for him right away. ETc.

Anyone ever research their family's heritage/ancestors and what not in DR? Any 1st generation Americans and such?

Do you have any tips, advice, or pointers?
Or the names of some resources?

I would greatly appreciate it a bunch. Thanks a mil in advance

PS: I wasn't sure the best place to post. I hope this is ok. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a genealogical society here and there is a guy called Edwin Espinal (prize-winning author) who specializes in this.
Try googling his name...

HB