This could happen to YOU !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This weekend marks the 2 month anniversary of Mel's false imprisonment.
It also marks the limit of my tolerance of all the false promises and BS about freeing him.
Yes it's all about money now.
We are back to the beginning, when some wise people suggested that pressure needed to be applied to US government officials, (Congressmen, I suppose?) so that they would in turn pressure the DR officials to set him free, and they are more than capable of doing so in a heartbeat, if they can be convinced that it is a righteous cause.
I am at a loss of how to proceed, so I now ask you for your suggestions and support.
But before anyone applies any pressure to US government officials, I need to investigate Mel?s work a bit further, including visiting him in jail again, ugh.
As he is in the offshore finance business, he may be considered an undesirable by the IRS, and we could land up just wasting your time and breath.
In the event that we find out that we have a clear go ahead to this approach, I will post all of Mel?s pertinent info.

Warmest regards to all, Marco.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
This weekend marks the 2 month anniversary of Mel's false imprisonment.
It also marks the limit of my tolerance of all the false promises and BS about freeing him.
Yes it's all about money now.
We are back to the beginning, when some wise people suggested that pressure needed to be applied to US government officials, (Congressmen, I suppose?) so that they would in turn pressure the DR officials to set him free, and they are more than capable of doing so in a heartbeat, if they can be convinced that it is a righteous cause.
I am at a loss of how to proceed, so I now ask you for your suggestions and support.
But before anyone applies any pressure to US government officials, I need to investigate Mel?s work a bit further, including visiting him in jail again, ugh.
As he is in the offshore finance business, he may be considered an undesirable by the IRS, and we could land up just wasting your time and breath.
In the event that we find out that we have a clear go ahead to this approach, I will post all of Mel?s pertinent info.

Warmest regards to all, Marco.

Who is Mel and why was he put in jail?
Steve

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Who is Mel and why was he put in jail?
Steve
Mel stands accused of murdering Mark Misner, former owner of the Checkpoint bar in Sosua.
No details of the ongoing investigation/criminal case will be permitted by DR1, because of the legal ramifications, and their desire to not adversely affect the outcome of this case.
In the event you would like pertinent info, you are welcome to PM me.
Thanks for your concern.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It is about TIME this re-surfaced ............. THANK you Marco. I hope that this time the thread will be allowed to continue! Keep your head down though as I believe there is a great deal of animosity to the truth of the situation coming up to the light!!

I am, of course, well away from the personalities involved in this tragic set of events, but all common sense used to read between the lines indicates a desire by many to keep the 'Status Quo' to the detriment of what are facts. I offer you my heartfelt good wishes at getting the TRUE story out & my support where I can give it. ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

This certainly had some effect in the case of Stuart Ratner. DR1 did allow discussion/notification about this case so a search can be made in the archives for 1999, 2000 & 2001. In that instance both the Senator and the Congressman (for the area in US where Stuart's sister lived) were approached by Stuart's sister to begin with & subsequently by myself & Bushbaby on many occasions. At the end of the day (14 months imprisonment later) he was exonerated of all charges by an appeal court in DR after it had gone all the way to the Supreme Court. Those charges were less serious than those facing the current detainee.

I would have hoped that the detainee's family in US had already made these overtures since this advice was given to a third party nearly 2 months ago.

You have my empathy in relation to your reaction to the jail. I was there every 2 weeks for 14 months - it is emotionally draining & soul destroying & results in putting one's own life on hold. But if someone is innocent & Stuart was, what else can one do?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It is about TIME this re-surfaced ............. THANK you Marco. I hope that this time the thread will be allowed to continue! Keep your head down though as I believe there is a great deal of animosity to the truth of the situation coming up to the light!!

I am, of course, well away from the personalities involved in this tragic set of events, but all common sense used to read between the lines indicates a desire by many to keep the 'Status Quo' to the detriment of what are facts. I offer you my heartfelt good wishes at getting the TRUE story out & my support where I can give it. ~ Grahame.
Thank you Graham.
Out of respect for DR1's wishes and need to not be involved in anything that can affect the case, much less make them liable, I have cleared this with the powers that be, and they are consenting and anxious to help anyone who is in such a horrendous unjust predicament.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This certainly had some effect in the case of Stuart Ratner. DR1 did allow discussion/notification about this case so a search can be made in the archives for 1999, 2000 & 2001. In that instance both the Senator and the Congressman (for the area in US where Stuart's sister lived) were approached by Stuart's sister to begin with & subsequently by myself & Bushbaby on many occasions. At the end of the day (14 months imprisonment later) he was exonerated of all charges by an appeal court in DR after it had gone all the way to the Supreme Court. Those charges were less serious than those facing the current detainee.

I would have hoped that the detainee's family in US had already made these overtures since this advice was given to a third party nearly 2 months ago.

You have my empathy in relation to your reaction to the jail. I was there every 2 weeks for 14 months - it is emotionally draining & soul destroying & results in putting one's own life on hold. But if someone is innocent & Stuart was, what else can one do?
I can only hope and pray, that we get similar results in a shorter time span.
Thank you for your cooperation and efforts in this matter.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Please

To those who have been following this thread, and saw Mirador's post which is now deleted...

I have no idea why he overstepped the limits of acceptability, when I made it so very clear that the details of this case will NOT be discussed on this thread.
In doing so, it may even jeopardize the very mission we are trying to accomplish.
Please respect DR1's wishes, and the life of an innocent man, rotting away in a blistering hot Dominican jail.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Marco

Find out from your friend his address back home and I will find out who his representive is in Congress in order that you guys can contact him.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I would just like to say that I have been assisting and supporting Mel's wife over the past 2 months. She is now nearly 5 months pregnant and has 4 young children to look after (10yrs, 3 yrs, 2yr old twins). She has not stopped in her relentless struggle to try and free her husband and her children hardly see her as they are forced to remain at home cooped up in the house all day every day. Both she and her children have been ill at times, but she has still not 'skipped' a visit as she has to try and get protein to Mel at weekends as he is being fed a diet of just rice and plantans (when the canteen hasn't 'run' out of food before he gets there). She has received no help or assistance from anybody here. Many of our neighbours who used to be friendly to her now snub her and turn their backs on her. I am appalled at the treatment that she has received.

Some people have (apparently) spoken badly about me and are upset with me because I have helped her. But I would just like to say that I shall continue to help her. She is worthy of help because she is a strong, courageous woman who has battled for her husband to receive justice and she will continue to do so, no matter what the cost to her health.

I knew this kind and loving family before this tragedy and they did not deserve for fate to intervene in their lives on that fateful night 2 months ago. If there is anything that anybody can do to help or assist in this matter in any way, please contact Marco who has been invaluable in ensuring that Mel does not get forgotten.

Last edited:

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Mirador's Post

To those who have been following this thread, and saw Mirador's post which is now deleted...

I have no idea why he overstepped the limits of acceptability, when I made it so very clear that the details of this case will NOT be discussed on this thread.
In doing so, it may even jeopardize the very mission we are trying to accomplish.
Please respect DR1's wishes, and the life of an innocent man, rotting away in a blistering hot Dominican jail.

Marco
Seems strange that DR1 would care what people post regarding this. You simply need to google it and the same post from Mirador can be found pretty much word for word.

Just look how much the story has changed from the get go! Just because someone post's something here on the DR1, doesn't make it factual, it just makes the site more open and interesting. I too, fail to see how the Mirador post could in any way, jeopardize the case. Just google it and there it is.
Steve

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just look how much the story has changed from the get go! Just because someone post's something here on the DR1, doesn't make it factual, it just makes the site more open and interesting.

What is interesting is that those involved in either direct help or helping from a distance have fallen over backwards to respect Marco's and DR1's wishes. Let's just leave it at that and continue to do so. This thread isn't here for gratuitous entertainment. To find out what it IS here for read the first post.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
so that they would in turn pressure the DR officials to set him free.

Which group of officials in the DR actually make that final decision as to whether Mel continues to be incarcerated or is given freedom to be with the good family that needs him at home?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Which group of officials in the DR actually make that final decision as to whether Mel continues to be incarcerated or is given freedom to be with the good family that needs him at home?
The POP courts are responsible for his case.
All major Sosua cases go to POP.
I would ask that everyone be patient until we have everything we need to get this ball rolling.
I apologize to all who feel inconvenienced by such a lack of information.
My hands are tied too, at times.
I thank everyone who has emailed and PMed.
Your concern and efforts are not going unnoticed.
Please allow for the time this needs to develop.
If we are to help, let's get it right the first time.

A

apostropheman

how can we help is we're not in the area or from the USA?

is there anything the family or Mel need that we could supply?

food, or money for food for example?
...but she has still not 'skipped' a visit as she has to try and get protein to Mel at weekends as he is being fed a diet of just rice and plantans (when the canteen hasn't 'run' out of food before he gets there).

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Mel's Incarceration

Hey Rocky, to us your rationale on so many of your posts Mel had to do something to find himself incarcerated.
Adam

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
how can we help is we're not in the area or from the USA?

is there anything the family or Mel need that we could supply?

food, or money for food for example?
Thanks for the offer, Apos.
We could pobably get him some better food, but we would need someone in place who lives there,
His wife has at least one meal per day covered.
Maybe you could PM me.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Surely the American Consulate in Puerto Plata could (SHOULD) be encouraged to assist in getting things into Mel - has anyone leaned a bit on them?? Maybe a 'quiet word' to the Embassy in Santo Domingo to ensure support from the Consulate is forthcoming ..............

From my recollections of the Stuart Ratner saga back in '99,'00 one of the biggest ways we could help was keeping him cheerful & optimistic by sending him (& replying to HIS) mail on a two or three times a week basis. Maybe letters, e-mails, PM's (printed out of course) could be collated & taken in to him. It would be nice to think that the Consulate would offer that sort of help!!

Support of FRIENDS, family & acquaintances is what Mel needs right now & the flushing out of his enemies can come later!!

Anyone know a good investigative journalist in the area the Mel came from? ~ Grahame.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Surely the American Consulate in Puerto Plata could (SHOULD) be encouraged to assist in getting things into Mel - has anyone leaned a bit on them?? Maybe a 'quiet word' to the Embassy in Santo Domingo to ensure support from the Consulate is forthcoming ..............

From my recollections of the Stuart Ratner saga back in '99,'00 one of the biggest ways we could help was keeping him cheerful & optimistic by sending him (& replying to HIS) mail on a two or three times a week basis. Maybe letters, e-mails, PM's (printed out of course) could be collated & taken in to him. It would be nice to think that the Consulate would offer that sort of help!!

Support of FRIENDS, family & acquaintances is what Mel needs right now & the flushing out of his enemies can come later!!

Anyone know a good investigative journalist in the area the Mel came from? ~ Grahame.
Lots of good stuff in what you said, Bushman.
Once we get this organized and get all the required details and info, perhaps we can enlist the help of an investigative journalist from Mel's part of the world.
I like that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.