Lebanese Community in D.R.

mfrias

Jul 19, 2007
Hi everyone,

I am a student from New York, my parents are both Dominican, but I found out recently that my great-grandfather who was Arab, was in fact Lebanese. I am applying for a Fulbright scholarship (prestigious research grant) because I would like to learn more about this community in D.R. I know a little about their early immigration to the country in the late 1800s-1900s. What I would like to do is focus on a more contemporary issue that may be impacting this community. WOULD ANY OF YOU BE WILLING AND ABLE TO ANSWER SOME OF MY QUESTIONS??
---I truly would appreciate your help, thank you in advance!! :)
Sincerely,
Micheline
Below are my questions in Spanish...most people here I am assuming can read Spanish?

1.) C?al fue la ola de inmigracion mas reciente de libaneses a La Republica Dominicana?

2.) Mas o menos, cuantos descendientes libanesa viven en La Republica Dominicana hoy? Tal vez mas interesante, cuantos libaneses inmigrantes y de primera generacion viven en La Republica Dominicana?

3.) Sabes como podria conseguir informacion sobre el numero de inmigrantes libaneses a la Rep. Dom. para cada a?o? Hay una pagina de web del gobierno que podria tener esta informacion?

4.) Cuales pueblos estan mas populado con libaneses o sus descendientes?

INTREGRACION A LA SOCIEDAD DOMINICANA:
5.) Hoy en dia, cuales son las actividades economica de los libaneses/descendientes?

6.) Me imagino que han adoptado las costumbres del pa?s? Como, el idioma espa?ol, la musica latina, comida, y tambien otras tradiciones ideologicas?

PRESERVACION DE LA RAIZ:
7.) Sabes si los libaneses o descendientes en La Rep. Dom. participan en politicas del Libano o del Medio Oriento?

8.) Con que aspectos de su cultura libanesa identifican? Hablan el idioma arabe? Oyen, bailan o tocan instrumentos de la musica arabe? Cuantos de ellos son cristianos? musulmanes? (Se que la mayorida fueron cristianos lo que llegaron primero). Que mas de su cultura nativa han preservado?

9.) Los libaneses de La Rep. Dom. viajan al Libano? Vienen turistas del Libano a La Republica Dominicana? Si es cierto, cuantos y por cuales razones?

10.) Se que La Republica Dominicana has tenido un Presidente de descensia libanesa, y tambien he le?do sobre relaciones entre La Republica Dominicana y Jordan y ahora, el Emirato Arabes Unidos. Cres que hoy en d?a la comunicac?on entre los paises arabes o la cultura arabe se este afirmando en La Republica Dominicana?

11.) Como perciben en La Republica Dominicana la cultura arabe? Que piensan y como tratan a los arabes, especificamente, a los libaneses, en su propio pais?

12.) Al f?n, podr?as recomendar otras organisaciones que se tratan de los libaneses en La Republica Dominicana?

GRACIAS!!!!!!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you want complete answers, then post your questions in English. Most people on the board are not bilingual and Spanish isn't their first language.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Don't know the answers but I there is something called "Club Palestino Sirio-Liban?" in SD on the Malecon (Av. G Washington).

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My friends in POP are of Lebanese descent and they recently helped some cousins come over two years ago. We went to visit in SDQ and they did not speak any Spanish. They were in the quipe business.

As for cultural identification, my friends have a beautiful Cedar tree mural on their main wall....the grandmother is Lebanese but moved here very young and speaks only bits of Arabic. She married a man from here.

Wish I had more information for you, that's all.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While I understand all of your questions, it is presumptious of you to ask us to answer these.
Yes, there is a very sizable Lebonese population
Yes, there was a wave of immigration in the 1890s
Yes, you can find out a huge amount of information.

I suggest you get your buttsky down here--especially to Santo Domingo and Santiago, the San Pedro and San Francisco de Macor?s. figure two weeks of running from town to town just to get a feel for what you are going to be looking at if you get the Fulbright. (Good luck on that one!!)

You will be amazed!!

HB

barhanna

Aug 20, 2005
www.geocities.com
Last year I did a survey of Lebanese immigrants in the DR for my bishop (Syriac Orthodox). I met with many Lebanese populations, mostly in Santa Domingo. The majority are Maronite Christians. I would recommend that you go to Lebanese.org. Many Lebanese from the DR are registered on that site and you can correspond with them.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The Christian Syrians came as a consequence of the persecution from the Muslims at the time ot the Ottoman Empire. There has been actions in Damas comparable to pogroms or to the night of crystal...