Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing the duty free rum!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Losing the duty free rum!

A friend just told me that the duty free rum which was delivered to her plane was confiscated in Miami - she could not board the ongoing flight to DC with it in her carry on luggage! You must put it into your checked baggage- and then perhaps, just suck it out of your clothes when the bottle breaks!

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    A friend just told me that the duty free rum which was delivered to her plane was confiscated in Miami - she could not board the ongoing flight to DC with it in her carry on luggage! You must put it into your checked baggage- and then perhaps, just suck it out of your clothes when the bottle breaks!
    You know, I've been wondering how that very thing.
    I've been told by some travelers that the duty free liquor has to be in your checked luggage.
    How the heck does that work?
    Last time I was in an airport, you got to the duty free shops after checking your bags.

apostropheman

Lightbulb

i buy my rum at the colmado and pack it in my checked bag before even going to the airport. it's also cheaper at the colmado or if in Sosua, Super Super than at the duty free. if packed properly breakage shouldn't really be an issue. i've done this at least a dozen time with nothing broken.

now cigarettes on the other hand are much cheaper at duty free since the price increase of January

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In Miami you fly into terminal B international from POP or where ever from the DR. If you are getting a connection to JFK,BOS, ect. you will need to clear security before entering terminal D. Nothing over 3 ounces.

So after clearing customs and before rechecking your bags you will need to put the booze in the checked bags and pray they do not break.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    In Miami you fly into terminal B international from POP or where ever from the DR. If you are getting a connection to JFK,BOS, ect. you will need to clear security before entering terminal D. Nothing over 3 ounces.

So after clearing customs and before rechecking your bags you will need to put the booze in the checked bags and pray they do not break.
    Thanks for clearing that up, Jumbo.
    Don't like the system, but at least I understand it now.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Never had a bottle break yet. Touch wood. I wrap them in my beach towel, dirty clothes like jeans, that won't stain, just in case.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, read this:

In December, travelling to Europe (final destination: Vienna), I bought perfumes on-board duty free of Air France flight to Paris.

Everything was good, until I got to Paris to take my connecting flight to Vienna. Paris airport is so badly designed, that for EVERY connecting flight regardless if you go through customs or not, you have to clear security again. Frankfurt or Munich is much better for this point.

So now my carry-on bag with 6 perfumes gets flagged!! There is no way to put that into your checked bag in Paris, because in EU bags are checked and cleared to final destination, regardless of where you enter the Schengen zone. (In other words, you do not pick up your bags in Paris upon entering the EU, as is the case in the USA, but rather in your final destination, in this case, Vienna).

The security didn't want to let me board the plane, because, supposedly, the duty-free bag was supposed to be SEALED on board the flight, and that way could be taken past security. It took me some begging and showing purchase receipt, and "it's Christmas" please to let me through.

So at least in the USA, you have a way to put it in your bag when you get your bags cleared through customs at your first point of entry. Flying to Europe is a different thing and you should think of this!

So if you purchase something ON-BOARD the flight, get it sealed! With the airline seal! And if they don't have seals, demand that a report be written and carry it with you, and then talk to supervisors to let you board connecting flight, or make them deliver it to your final destination somehow.

The seals do not work for airport duty free purchases going into connecting flights, only for seals given on EU carriers heading to the EU airport.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlielyn View Post
    Never had a bottle break yet. Touch wood. I wrap them in my beach towel, dirty clothes like jeans, that won't stain, just in case.
    My sister brought me 2 bottles of Fernet from Europe, lots of Chocolates, and 3 kilos of Bryndza (special super-tasty creamy sheep cheese) (not sold anywhere outside of central europe).

Each bottle went packed in newspaper, then in kitchen towel, and finally put into a 2-liter (64 oz) empty plastic bottle.

Everything made it well to the DR and even the sheep cheese made it past the customs/agriculture/whatever they have here.

No spillage/breakage from bottles.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually packed 5 gallons of rum and anice in checked bags once (had a wedding I was supplying at home) and NOTHING broke.
    So........if it is well packed (padded with clothing AFTER being securely wrapped in plastic bags) it will make it no matter how rough the baggage handlers are.
    I've transported expensive crystal glassware and stemware, crystal chandeliers, delicate porcelaine tea and coffee sets, and other delicate 'breakables' from many foreign countries over the years and have only had one bottle and one teacup handle broken.
    Maybe I should start up a business teaching people how to pack!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile transporting liquor

the last 3 years travelling from PUJ they require all liquore to be packed in your luggage (not carry on) before weighing in and entering the duty free zone BUT---- once inside the duty free area you can buy liquore and carry that with you onto the plane in your carry on luggage !! Go figure!! It just seems to be a way to charge you for the extra weight on your luggage if you haven't made allowances. Can't figure out any other reason for this seemingly foolish requirement. Of course the other reason is the inflated prices in the duty free area!!.
    windrifter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast