Losing the duty free rum!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
A friend just told me that the duty free rum which was delivered to her plane was confiscated in Miami - she could not board the ongoing flight to DC with it in her carry on luggage! You must put it into your checked baggage- and then perhaps, just suck it out of your clothes when the bottle breaks!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A friend just told me that the duty free rum which was delivered to her plane was confiscated in Miami - she could not board the ongoing flight to DC with it in her carry on luggage! You must put it into your checked baggage- and then perhaps, just suck it out of your clothes when the bottle breaks!
You know, I've been wondering how that very thing.
I've been told by some travelers that the duty free liquor has to be in your checked luggage.
How the heck does that work?
Last time I was in an airport, you got to the duty free shops after checking your bags.

A

apostropheman

i buy my rum at the colmado and pack it in my checked bag before even going to the airport. it's also cheaper at the colmado or if in Sosua, Super Super than at the duty free. if packed properly breakage shouldn't really be an issue. i've done this at least a dozen time with nothing broken.

now cigarettes on the other hand are much cheaper at duty free since the price increase of January

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
In Miami you fly into terminal B international from POP or where ever from the DR. If you are getting a connection to JFK,BOS, ect. you will need to clear security before entering terminal D. Nothing over 3 ounces.

So after clearing customs and before rechecking your bags you will need to put the booze in the checked bags and pray they do not break.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In Miami you fly into terminal B international from POP or where ever from the DR. If you are getting a connection to JFK,BOS, ect. you will need to clear security before entering terminal D. Nothing over 3 ounces.

So after clearing customs and before rechecking your bags you will need to put the booze in the checked bags and pray they do not break.
Thanks for clearing that up, Jumbo.
Don't like the system, but at least I understand it now.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Never had a bottle break yet. Touch wood. I wrap them in my beach towel, dirty clothes like jeans, that won't stain, just in case.

Feb 7, 2007
Now, read this:

In December, travelling to Europe (final destination: Vienna), I bought perfumes on-board duty free of Air France flight to Paris.

Everything was good, until I got to Paris to take my connecting flight to Vienna. Paris airport is so badly designed, that for EVERY connecting flight regardless if you go through customs or not, you have to clear security again. Frankfurt or Munich is much better for this point.

So now my carry-on bag with 6 perfumes gets flagged!! There is no way to put that into your checked bag in Paris, because in EU bags are checked and cleared to final destination, regardless of where you enter the Schengen zone. (In other words, you do not pick up your bags in Paris upon entering the EU, as is the case in the USA, but rather in your final destination, in this case, Vienna).

The security didn't want to let me board the plane, because, supposedly, the duty-free bag was supposed to be SEALED on board the flight, and that way could be taken past security. It took me some begging and showing purchase receipt, and "it's Christmas" please to let me through.

So at least in the USA, you have a way to put it in your bag when you get your bags cleared through customs at your first point of entry. Flying to Europe is a different thing and you should think of this!

So if you purchase something ON-BOARD the flight, get it sealed! With the airline seal! And if they don't have seals, demand that a report be written and carry it with you, and then talk to supervisors to let you board connecting flight, or make them deliver it to your final destination somehow.

The seals do not work for airport duty free purchases going into connecting flights, only for seals given on EU carriers heading to the EU airport.

Feb 7, 2007
Never had a bottle break yet. Touch wood. I wrap them in my beach towel, dirty clothes like jeans, that won't stain, just in case.

My sister brought me 2 bottles of Fernet from Europe, lots of Chocolates, and 3 kilos of Bryndza (special super-tasty creamy sheep cheese) (not sold anywhere outside of central europe).

Each bottle went packed in newspaper, then in kitchen towel, and finally put into a 2-liter (64 oz) empty plastic bottle.

Everything made it well to the DR and even the sheep cheese made it past the customs/agriculture/whatever they have here.

No spillage/breakage from bottles.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I actually packed 5 gallons of rum and anice in checked bags once (had a wedding I was supplying at home) and NOTHING broke.
So........if it is well packed (padded with clothing AFTER being securely wrapped in plastic bags) it will make it no matter how rough the baggage handlers are.
I've transported expensive crystal glassware and stemware, crystal chandeliers, delicate porcelaine tea and coffee sets, and other delicate 'breakables' from many foreign countries over the years and have only had one bottle and one teacup handle broken.
Maybe I should start up a business teaching people how to pack!!

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
transporting liquor

the last 3 years travelling from PUJ they require all liquore to be packed in your luggage (not carry on) before weighing in and entering the duty free zone BUT---- once inside the duty free area you can buy liquore and carry that with you onto the plane in your carry on luggage !! Go figure!! It just seems to be a way to charge you for the extra weight on your luggage if you haven't made allowances. Can't figure out any other reason for this seemingly foolish requirement. Of course the other reason is the inflated prices in the duty free area!!. :cheeky:
windrifter

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just for the record. The "duty free" stores in the DR airports charge twice as much for the DR rum as any Supermarket or Colmado in the DR. Why buy there?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just for the record. The "duty free" stores in the DR airports charge twice as much for the DR rum as any Supermarket or Colmado in the DR. Why buy there?
It's been a long time since I've been through there, but I do remember noticing that cigarettes and liquor were more expensive there than in the supermarkets.
Way more expensive.

A

apostropheman

Bingo!

exactly!
:bunny::bunny::bunny:

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
You can't bring RUM bought in a colmado or market on the plane...that's why I shop the duty FREE. I always buy 4-5 bottles to bring home when I fly; and buy rum buy the case when I sail into port.

Barcelo was $6USD for 750 mil last time I was down there (oh me oh my, SIX BUCKS...) It was $4US in a market on CONDE....

Brugal Extra Viejo was $8USD in the duty free....and $25USD in the liquor store near my dock slip in Florida! I prefer my liquor labels in Spanish so I buy it in the DR.

Let's try something to help the Dominican economy....QUIT PENNY PINCHING, SPEND YOUR MONEY, it will stimulate growth and jobs and all the things the DR needs to GROW and the economic growth will be good for you.

Have any of you ever looked beyond the dust in your pockets and seen how good you have it??? Think about the amount of whining on this board about, TIPPING, EXPENSIVE BOOZE, DINNERS and the like....the DR is a bargin!

Spend the dime and have a good time....if you can't afford it OR it hurts you to spend an extra two dollars......stay home, burn your candles, re-use your coffee grounds, roll the lint in your belly buttons to smoke, and eat syrup sandwiches.

Some threads sound more and more like Hollywood Beach, Florida in the winter time everyday. "Eh?" Or is that "hay". Remember, "you can't take it ($$$$) with you"......ENJOY!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Quick p.s.> I always do carry on and check nothing.....DUTY FREE is allowed to be carried on........makes things easier

I have a specific backpack that holds ten pounds of coffee and five bottles of rum and stores under the seat in front of me.

You may not open a bottle on the plane, they will take it from you.

Life is fun when you know and play by the rules

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
You can't bring RUM bought in a colmado or market on the plane...that's why I shop the duty FREE.

You can buy it in the colmado, lots of it, save money yourself while giving some back to the OWNER of the colmado and NOT directly to the government, and PACK it in your bags....

Let's try something to help the Dominican economy....QUIT PENNY PINCHING, SPEND YOUR MONEY, it will stimulate growth and jobs and all the things the DR needs to GROW and the economic growth will be good for you.

Read the above statement...THAT is how you can help the Dominican economy...

Some threads sound more and more like Hollywood Beach, Florida in the winter time everyday. "Eh?" Or is that "hay". Remember, "you can't take it ($$$$) with you"......ENJOY!

First off....I live in Hollywood Beach, Florida...baby, it's NOT like you describe it at all...How long has it been since you've been here???? ;) Maybe you should come and stay at the Westin Diplomat for a few days, then walk down the beach to the 3rd building and wave to my 14th floor apartment...or look for me at the beach or the pool...that's where we spend most of our free time...Trust me...it's nothing like you remember!!!! :cheeky:

It's not about penny pinching, it's about NOT wasting your money when you can buy whatever you need, yes, even SAZON, to bring back with you at the local Colmado...pack it really good, and save some money for your next trip to Paradise!!!!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Uhhh, I own a house on Hollywood Beach...near Oak St. Have for 15 years, and way before the Westin was built....which is by the way almost HALLANDALE.

It's for sale if you want it...the area has changed since I grew up there and it's getting ready to roll over and lose it's charm, the new seawall and lighting is only the beginning

Head down near the bandshell during the winter and speak French with the rest of them. Ohhhh Caaaaaaaanada.......:pirate:

If you would have read further, you'd have seen I don't check bags....I travel light when I fly......next time I sail out to the Bahamas I'll be sure to wave at your 14th floor cliff dwelling.....I'm sure the view is good, but it's not like the 360 degrees off my 70 footer...

I'd invite ya down for a cocktail but I don't do hysterical gringas no more....god bless the DR and the people......... ;)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks for the gringa thing....if you didn't know...I was born in Montevideo Uruguay, oh, and I NEVER have NEVER will do crazy lame axx GRINGOS!!!!

You don't travel so light if you have to carry-on bottles of booze with you, so I don't see your point...

I've been near the bandshell...it's really nice to see different people from all over the world enjoying themselves...

Oh, and it's not that YOU don't do gringas...it's probably the gringas don't want to do YOU...and you have to resort to the DR and it's people to get some... ;)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
But

Quick p.s.> I always do carry on and check nothing.....DUTY FREE is allowed to be carried on........makes things easier

I have a specific backpack that holds ten pounds of coffee and five bottles of rum and stores under the seat in front of me.

You may not open a bottle on the plane, they will take it from you.

Life is fun when you know and play by the rules

But this is the easy part, when YOU enter the US in Miami or elsewhere in Florida and clear customs your done. Some of the others have to connect, and reclear security. Here is where the problem with carryon and buying in duty free comes in. You as was stated above cant do this. has to be in checked baggage. Coffee is ok, but over 3oz of liquid problem