Rainy season

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
Is there a part of the year that gets more rain than another? We will be going next year and can go anytime. Thanks!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is there a part of the year that gets more rain than another? We will be going next year and can go anytime. Thanks!
There are no guarantees with DR weather.
One year it's one thing, the next, completely different.
The only constants are hurricane season and winter is always cooler than summer
There is no actual rainy season like you see in South America.
This link will help you understand the generalities of Dominican weather.
Dominican Republic Weather | dominicanrepublic-guide.info

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've been here since 1985. In the early years there were months of rain and months of sun. The farmers relied on this for planting and harvesting decisions. But no longer. Just like the weather is less predictable in your country, so it is in the DR

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In the South it is more predicable. We rarely get rain from December to April, and we usually get rain May to October. having said this we have had very little rain this year so far, whilst the rest of the country has been hit hard. 2 years ago it rained non stop in May for 3 weeks, this year it didn't start till June and then only one or two days and one day so far in July.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Wouldn't you agree though that it is different type of rain here??? In other words its warm and friendly not cold and dull.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In the South it is more predicable. We rarely get rain from December to April, and we usually get rain May to October. having said this we have had very little rain this year so far, whilst the rest of the country has been hit hard. 2 years ago it rained non stop in May for 3 weeks, this year it didn't start till June and then only one or two days and one day so far in July.
That actually summarizes quite well.
Clearly there are patterns if you make multiple year observations, but one year can be so differnt from the next, that it seems completely unpredictable.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
In the north coast, it's easy : you'll get a lot of rain from mid December to mid February. That is because of the numerous cold-fronts coming from the north. It doesn't however rain all the time, but cold fronts are coming often.

Otherwise, it's pretty much a beautiful weather all year round with an occasional shower...

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The Pacific Ocean's Peruvian Current, also known as el Nino or el Nina depending which way it is flowing, affects the DR's weather more than any other phenomena. This year we are having a strong el Nina and this means more rain for the Caribbean Basin and generally less hurricanes because of upper level wind shear associated with the weather fronts bringing us this rain from the Pacific side of Central America. If you regularly watch the satellite pics of the Caribbean you will see this. When the current shifts to el Nino every couple of years, we will generally have less rain and less upper level wind shear and subsequently a greater chance of hurricanes in the Caribbean. It will also be a little breezier at the surface level.

If I were to make a generalization not only would I agree that there is no rainy season per se in the DR but that November through February are a little wetter on the north coast because of cold fronts coming down from North America. Summer months usually see afternoon thunder-bumpers all over the DR which are quite common due to the heat buildup on the island's land mass.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It rains here??? I always thought it was just liquid sunshine. This year on the north coast we had lots of "liquid sunshine" in March/April. Actually days and days of it.

Bob K

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey! It is called the "Tropics" FCS!!!! We get rain, we get sun. You want sun?
Come anytime!!

East Coast and South Coast are drier, generally speaking. The Northwest Line (Montecristi, Valverde) is drier than Saman? or Sos?a. However, it is all relative.

With the possible exception of some of the light rains we have here in the northern half of the country called "Nortes", our rains are usually quick thunderbursts.

Rain will never spoil a vacation..

HB

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
You guys are too funny. Thanks for all the responses. We are headed to Punta Cana. Probably January or February. I am thinking that the American spring break would fall in March and maybe April so we DON'T want to be there during that time. We can go in May but I bet it would be getting pretty hot then.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
friendly rain? A lot of Dominicans that got washed out of thier homes last May would not agree.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Well if July is "rainy" then I am not sure what we just experienced in Puerto Plata. We are in near drought conditions!

Last year we have virtually no rain in November but the previous 3 years it rained very very hard in November. Go figure.

Just assume you will get some rain! Plan some "rainy day" activities.....LOL In fact you may hope for some rain....