Looking for a detective

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Has somebody some information about a good detective in the Puerto Plata area ? How do detectives work here ? Are they related to the police or are they working completely independently? Thanks for your help.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Has somebody some information about a good detective in the Puerto Plata area ? How do detectives work here ? Are they related to the police or are they working completely independently? Thanks for your help.
Please tell us it's not to track down a sankie's activities.....

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
No, not at all. It is in relation with the robbery I mentionned 3 weeks ago in another thread. Lots of money and computer stolen in an apartment in costambar. Thanks for your help.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No, not at all. It is in relation with the robbery I mentionned 3 weeks ago in another thread. Lots of money and computer stolen in an apartment in costambar. Thanks for your help.
Good to make that clear, so you can get some serious replies.
I know of nobody myself.
Hopefully someone else will.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
DR is not the place to have an expensive computer or a lot of cash or anything good and expensive in general.

Used old Latitude C400, 1500 RD in the pocket, cheap shorts and shirt and half-dozen good quality condoms - that is all you really need to be happy in DR.

DR is a place for temporary light rent. Not for permanent heavy living.

Naive gringos keep paying price for their mistakes again and again.

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
DR is not the place to have an expensive computer or a lot of cash or anything good and expensive in general.

Used old Latitude C400, 1500 RD in the pocket, cheap shorts and shirt and half-dozen good quality condoms - that is all you really need to be happy in DR.

I know all of that thank you. I live here for a long time now. Exceptionnally, and nobody even myself, knew that my friend has so much money...inside a safe at her home. She just came back from her country. The fact is that somebody (hazard or no...) has forced the lock of her appartment and has stolen the money and the computer, leaving all the rest...As we want to find back the computer and the documents stolen with it, we just want to find a good detective to help us.
I want to precise that she has a normal life here, no condoms needed, but some furniture and a computer (maybe not a very expensive computer, but she needs all the information inside...)! We don't just spend some months here, we live here! Everybody can live like he wants but she likes to live comfortable. Thanks for the lesson but I don't consider myself and herself as "naive gringas"!!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I know all of that thank you. I live here for a long time now. Exceptionnally, and nobody even myself, knew that my friend has so much money...inside a safe at her home. She just came back from her country. The fact is that somebody (hazard or no...) has forced the lock of her appartment and has stolen the money and the computer, leaving all the rest...As we want to find back the computer and the documents stolen with it, we just want to find a good detective to help us.
I want to precise that she has a normal life here, no condoms needed, but some furniture and a computer (maybe not a very expensive computer, but she needs all the information inside...)! We don't just spend some months here, we live here! Everybody can live like he wants but she likes to live comfortable. Thanks for the lesson but I don't consider myself and herself as "naive gringas"!!!

I am sorry to hear about your friend's bad experience. I wish you luck getting your computer with its information back from the thieves. Odd how the part-timers always seem to know best, isn't it??!!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Estrella I assume you've already done the usual stuff in these circumstances - flyers distributed to compra-ventas including pic of item stolen, told police that a reward is available etc etc? I'm under the impression that stuff stolen on north coast often goes to Santiago or even SD for 'redistribution' so don't forget to go out of immediate area.

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Yes, Lambada, the police came on the same day, and we are going every 2 or 3 days to see if they don't forget us. They seem motivated, but....
My friend is going to every compra venta in Puerto Plata, Imbert,...and lots of people know that she is ready to give a 10 000 pesos reward for the computer. But how can we do to find back the computer if it is sold in Santiago or SD??? Do you have an idea? She has a computer that is not sold in this country (it is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M serie), so I guess it would be easier to find.., the only problem is to know where to go!

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Santiago

Yes, Lambada, the police came on the same day, and we are going every 2 or 3 days to see if they don't forget us. They seem motivated, but....
My friend is going to every compra venta in Puerto Plata, Imbert,...and lots of people know that she is ready to give a 10 000 pesos reward for the computer. But how can we do to find back the computer if it is sold in Santiago or SD??? Do you have an idea? She has a computer that is not sold in this country (it is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M serie), so I guess it would be easier to find.., the only problem is to know where to go!

Everthing that is stolen here (Puerto Plata) usually gets sold in Santiago

As for A Private Detective wow maybe in Sosua as I do see a lot of guys with Hawaiian shirts with mustaches walkiing around the beach and on the streets you could maybe ask one of them especially if he's accompanied by a little greasy white guy and cool lookin black dude.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

With 1500 RD in your pocket, you won't do a lot in the D.R. Do you think the chopas accept credit card ??

As for the cheap shorts, well WHERE IS AZB???

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
With 1500 RD in your pocket, you won't do a lot in the D.R. Do you think the chopas accept credit card ??

As for the cheap shorts, well WHERE IS AZB???

No, they do not accept CC, but they accept 1000 peso bills very happily and 500 peso for cerveza in Latino Club (my favourite place, thank you, Willy!) is very adequate.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I hope RD$500 was for more than one beer, or you left "Willie" a 400 Peso tip.

tambo'

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Have your friend hire a moto concho. They are all over town and know a lot of people. They are a double edge sword thou. For the right money they will turn.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My friend is going to every compra venta in Puerto Plata, Imbert,...and lots of people know that she is ready to give a 10 000 pesos reward for the computer. But how can we do to find back the computer if it is sold in Santiago or SD??? Do you have an idea?

Try the owner (not staff) of the compra venta near the port in PP, about halfway along Antigua Via F?rrea - he seems to have a lot of connections. Most of the compra venta owners know each other - he could know an owner in Santiago or SD which might give you a start in those areas. And since your friend is offering a large reward & needs to retrieve her data, suggest she makes it clear that reward is for a non-tampered with computer. The 'box' alone will be no good to her, I guess? So she needs to get the word out not to fiddle with the innards.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
No, they do not accept CC, but they accept 1000 peso bills very happily and 500 peso for cerveza in Latino Club (my favourite place, thank you, Willy!) is very adequate.

Very adequate !!! I guess some people get satisfied with poco.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Exactly! And I am one of them.

Isn`t it the real happiness - to get satisfied with poco?

Have you read the Bible recently?

Never read the Bible. If the Bible taught you about condoms and paying the chopas 1000 pesos I'm not interested to read it either.

When you are talking about wearing your Armani and driving you S500 COUPE is that what ''get satisfied with poco'' means to you ??? Or is it having to pay only 1000 pesos to the chopas????

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
A very wrong conclusion with all due respect.

MeBe stopped manufacturing S500 coupe in 1998 and from 1999 it is called CL500 to distinguish it from S500 sedan.. So the name of my car attests to my old age only and not to my richness.

Same thing with cloth. Some people like to buy new things (let it be cheap but different) every three-four months, others - to buy something of high quality and to wear it many years. One Armani for several years costs less than buying cheap $150 suits every six months.

BTW, if I sell my MeBe now, the money that I will get for it won`t be enough even to buy a new RAV4 in DR!

So, by current Dominican standards I am poor person. But I do not complain. Because I can get satisfied with poco. With very poco.

I was stupid and snobbish younger. Not the case now.

Peace!

Never read the Bible. If the Bible taught you about condoms and paying the chopas 1000 pesos I'm not interested to read it either.

When you are talking about wearing your Armani and driving you S500 COUPE is that what ''get satisfied with poco'' means to you ??? Or is it having to pay only 1000 pesos to the chopas????