Real Estate Market...

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Hello folks....just looking for a little info....I was wondering how easy or difficult is it to find a job as a Real Estate agent in the DR (perhaps with a large company like Remax or Coldwell Bankers)....Is this a field that pays as well as it does in North America ? Can openings be found easily ? Just wondering if anyone has any experience or advise about this....

Thanks in advance !

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Show me somebody that ISN'T in Real Estate.....

........that appears to be how easy it is!

Every other person you meet out here works in Real Estate in one form or another... And even if they don't they'll still pick up a little commission for pointing you in the direction of that 'bargain' house that only 'they' know is for sale!

I knew a young man who got a job with West Indies Estates with NO previous experience of real estate at all. The Real Estate Agents in DR are currently unregulated (though I understand that's being 'worked' on) so it's quite easy for anybody to set up their own office.

Commission here is generally 10% with the larger agencies. I believe the sales people get 5% of that, so, in theory, it can be lucrative if you get enough sales or manage to sell one of the more expensive properties. I believe the current rate for 'listing' a property which is later sold is about $200. The thing to take into account is that it's a very competitive market. Last thing I heard was that Century 21 in Sosua had at least 35 sales agents on their staff......that's a LOT of people going for the same business. It pays the agents to take on more staff during busy times, but it obviously doesn't do the existing reps any favours.

I hope this helps. I think the bottom line is that the people I know who do earn a living from real estate sales work extremely hard and remain flexible about their working hours. Being able to speak another language also helps when looking for work in this field.

Good Luck!