help with cell phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
I am traveling to Puerto Plata in August and need help getting my service provider or whomever to get my cell phone to work while I am there. When I was in Puerto Plata in June Telus assured me that my phone would work. They activated some "international" calling feature on my phone but of course I had no coverage whatsoever the entire time I was there....even though I specifically asked if I could somehow rent a world phone from them. Does anyone out there know anything about Telus and whom I should be talking to about my phone? Incidentally I thought I had a "state of the art" phone with a Motorolla Q but now I'm not so certain???? Is there something I can do in DR to get my phone to work? I need to be able to receive calls and call out.
Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Why do you want a world phone and pay high rates. You best bet is to buy a cheap phone when here and use either an Orange or Verizon phone card. Buy the phone. If GSM you need to get a number, SIM card, and phone card from Orange, or from Coral/Codetel. If a CDMA phone, get a number and phone card from Coral/Codetel

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Id suggest if you NEED to receive phone calls on your normal number and be able to call out you have 2 options.

1. I have found the best coverage in the POP main area as being Verizon. So you will need a Verizon US phone to see the phone # on your caller ID or be able to receive phone the calls. You can either receive them and pay the high rate or call the people back cheaper using a local phone number.

2. This option will be even more expensive. It involves also using a Verizon phone from the US in roaming mode and setting up call forwarding on it to a local DR phone number. You will be charged for the calls from your roaming phone to the local DR phone but at least outbound calls will be cheaper.

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
Thanks for your suggestions....I really need my phone number to work so people can contact me when I am there. I don't understand why my phone won't work there. I know there were other people from Canada who were on the plane with me and their phones worked!! I had considered buying a phone there but why go to the expense when mine should work if I can figure out how?

any other options????:paranoid:

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
Id suggest if you NEED to receive phone calls on your normal number and be able to call out you have 2 options.

1. I have found the best coverage in the POP main area as being Verizon. So you will need a Verizon US phone to see the phone # on your caller ID or be able to receive phone the calls. You can either receive them and pay the high rate or call the people back cheaper using a local phone number.

2. This option will be even more expensive. It involves also using a Verizon phone from the US in roaming mode and setting up call forwarding on it to a local DR phone number. You will be charged for the calls from your roaming phone to the local DR phone but at least outbound calls will be cheaper.

Just a question about the Verizon phone. How would that work exactly? My friend in Puerto Plata has a phone set up with Verizon. Would I just forward my phone number to my friend's phone? Is that what you're saying?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You may only need to update your roaming network by dialing *228, send, then press 2, while in DR. Keep in mind, roaming charges are quite expensive.

You really are better off getting an inexpensive phone off of eBAY and activating it in DR for Pre Paid phone card usage.

Then either leave your new number on your voicemail, or forward the calls to your new number through your carrier's customer service, as the OP suggested.

tambo'

gambler1234

Jun 7, 2007
You may only need to update your roaming network by dialing *228, send, then press 2, while in DR. Keep in mind, roaming charges are quite expensive.

You really are better off getting an inexpensive phone off of eBAY and activating it in DR for Pre Paid phone card usage.

Then either leave your new number on your voicemail, or forward the calls to your new number through your carrier's customer service, as the OP suggested.

tambo'

Ok that makes sense to forward the calls. That's what I was wondering. I should be able to forward my calls to my friend's phone then. Hopefully that feature will work while I'm there!!!:tired:

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Just a question about the Verizon phone. How would that work exactly? My friend in Puerto Plata has a phone set up with Verizon. Would I just forward my phone number to my friend's phone? Is that what you're saying?

forward to your friends phone or any other Verizon phone. This would be expensive but if you MUST have its an option. Verizon service seems to work quite well in the POP/Sosua area. Also do the *228 as stated to update roaming capabilities.

sdillon

Mar 17, 2006
If you were to buy a phone off of ebay what would you be looking for? I am moving there and I'm not sure if it's cheaper to buy one in the Dominican or to buy one off ebay before I leave??

Sep 19, 2005
I didnt read where the OP stated his current carrier for the phone he brought with him.

I have verizon and i get all my calls while in the DR...the only time I cant get calls is if I dont have a signal...once I get within the next tower I am good....the calls used to run about $1.75-$3.50 a minute, because you never knew whose tower you would get billed for in addition to the verizon charges).....very recently Verizon changed that policy and only charge the $1.67 a minute.....I was told they arrianged some aggreement between the other carriers towers....I saw it on my last bill ..all the calls were the same minute rate...

I also was told how to get into my voice mail....I never knew it...

while in the dr i could never access my voice mail, if I missed a call....

the CS people told me to call my own number and then access my voice mail that way...Ill see if it works next trip.

bob

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
I use Cingular which is now AT&T and live in South Florida. Pretty sure they are hooked up with Orange in DR. Used my phone a few times with Florida area code..Two bucks a minute but I'm only on holiday a few weeks at a time so no big deal on that rate. I can send local and long distance no problem. Call a cab in Sosua or call and annoy my sister in Massachusetts... I'm too lazy to get a local SIM chip. Sooooo, I bend over and take it like a man for the two bucks a minute.

Cheers...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
But for I believe RD400, you could get an Orange or Claro simcard for your AT&T phone and make calls for RD6/minute, including calls to the US. The only downside is you wouldn't have the same number.

edited to add that now that I have read your entire post, I see you don't care! Hope you have some "lube"

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
If you buy a phone here and activate on an orange line with a phone card, then call forward your Telus phone to this number and you will be in touch all the time. You would have to leave your Telus phone at home and have someone do the call forward for you.

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
I recommend bringing a phone from here, and connecting it in D.R. Either one that you have lying around, or buy one cheap from EBAY as suggested. Then you can connect in D.R. with either Verizon or Orange. This is the cheapest way. Do not buy a phone in D.R., as they are expensive. I bought an international phone (doesn't work here), and when I go to the D.R., I take my sim from my phone, insert it, and it works. Again, this will be expensive. Remember, Verizon doesn't have SIM cards.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I recommend bringing a phone from here, and connecting it in D.R. Either one that you have lying around, or buy one cheap from EBAY as suggested. Then you can connect in D.R. with either Verizon or Orange. This is the cheapest way. Do not buy a phone in D.R., as they are expensive. I bought an international phone (doesn't work here), and when I go to the D.R., I take my sim from my phone, insert it, and it works. Again, this will be expensive. Remember, Verizon doesn't have SIM cards.

I guess you have not been to RD in almost a year!
Verizon was sold and the wireless division is now called Claro.
Another change, Claro has two networks now, CDMA as well as GSM.
The eBAY route works, but you can buy a lightly used functioning phone in DR for under RD1000, so why bother?

tambo'

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
Claro

I was in D.R. in March, and I don't think the sale to Claro was effective at that time. If you can get a decent phone in D.R. for 1000 pesos, God bless you.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Wrong

sale was completed in Feb. this year
should have been Oct last year except for tax hold up

I was in D.R. in March, and I don't think the sale to Claro was effective at that time. If you can get a decent phone in D.R. for 1000 pesos, God bless you.

Status
Not open for further replies.