appartment advice for student...NEEDED

lalad87

Jul 27, 2007
Ok so Im planning on studying in Santiago for the fall semester. I know the DR pretty well but mostly the country side (monte crisiti) so I have absolutely NOOOO idea what its like in the 'big city'. i was wondering considering the fact i am a student if anyone has advice on getting apartments in Santiago for the months of august through December. what are price ranges for a two bedroom apartment in a decent area (obviously safe...as I am female and will be at times on my own) but also where i can access things relatively easy. as long as i'm on one of the concho lines. and if i can get a furnished apartment? also is there anyway i can do any searching online, i dunno like online newspapers with add listings?
thanks for your help!:cheeky:

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
I am not an expert by any means, but I figured I would try to give you a little help. I don't know about apartments through August-December, from my knowledge most apartment rentals are normally done on a yearly base. However, the first piece of advice I would give you is to contact your university. There should be some type of office for international students, and they can give you a little of possible homestays with families or apartment rentals (which would be furnished). I don't know about all the universities, but I know PUCMM does for sure. They even have a section on their website, check that out if it applies to you.
If you're a young female on your own, you might want to look into the urbanizaciones closest to the university, so you're not having to rely on conchos after hours.
There are plenty of Santiago experts on the board that can give your more detailed advice, I just figured I would start it off.
Good luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can call PUCMM at 809 580 1962 and listen to the options. Estudiantes Internacionales has a list of home stay families.
You will not, repeat NOT, find a furnished apartment with two bedrooms for the time period you are requesting and the other requirements you have mentioned.
The more onerous requirements would be like three months rent up front and you get your own cable, water, electric and phone (internet) contracts!!!!

Where are you going to study? If it is at PUCMM, then do like I said and talk to Marco....he is the head of International Students. If you are going to study under one of the various exchange programs, they all have living accommodations planned out.

Good luck.

HB

lalad87

Jul 27, 2007
i am doing one of the exchange programs however i am not staying with a host family (this is all through PUCMM) so they said i was on my own. so now im trying to figure out the best way to get a relatively good priced appartment. furnished obviously would be better. how do i get contacts for Marco as you mentioned? i went to the website however i was unable to locate specific people. i just need a place to stay, i dont want something special im a student so i dont care so much as long as its not dangerous for me. a roof over my head and close to transportation.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I posted the phone number.
Look for Estudiantes Internacionales at the website..I suppose.

You can find a place. But you;ll have to get here early..Then look in the La Informaci?n newspaper. You'll want to stay in La Loter?a or La Villa Ol?mpica, or Reparto Universitario, or near Plaza Monumental or el Embrujo. There are a few other options but they don't come to mind today....

HB