Fashion/Textile Industry.

danid

May 16, 2006
Hello,

I have a diploma in Fashion Management from Canada. I have also taken a Fashion Design Course at the School of Design in Altos de Chavon. I am currently back in Canada but am looking for opportunities to relocate to the Dominican Republic. I have experience in Apparel Manufacturing, Customer Service, Sales, Product Development, Buying and Sourcing. If anyone has any valuable information on possible employers and opportunities I would really appreciate the help. I am fluent in English and Portuguese, I read and speak Spanish at an intermediate level, and I have highschool level French.

Thanks,
Daniela

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Daniela,
As I suspect you know, the apparel industry in DR has seen a major decline in recent years.

Six or seven years ago there were probably dozens of opportunities for you. Many foreigners were brought in to work & train people at very good salaries. At this point most DR companies have competent local talent filling the positions that still remain and both the companies and employees are fighting to hang on. Many more people are underemployed, unemployed, or moved on to other industries. Most North American companies are in the same position - with reductions in jobs there are many more qualified people than there are positions available.

I'm going to send you a private msg with at least one company in DR you can contact. Also, as you search, try to learn what companies are continuing to place production in DR - Liz Claiborne, GAP, Levi's, Hilfiger, or whoever. You might try their personnel dept's in NYC, San Francisco or wherever letting them know you're interested in a job. You might get lucky & find a position with a North American salary and a Dominican office. Again, though, as these companies have downsized their people hang on to existing jobs with a vengeance as there's not much place for them to go without moving completely out of the industry - or to China.

danid

May 16, 2006
Thanks for the info I look forward to you PM. I know that this may not be an easy task but I am willing to consider any opportunity you may suggest and I will continue my research. My business management skills can be adapted to other industries although apparel is my ideal area of employment.

thanks,
Daniela

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
Not apparel, but maybe of interest to you

Daniela,

I sent you a PM with information about a job I am recruiting for. If you are interested please contact me.

Jim