Forward planning a move to DR

ruromastyx1

Jul 29, 2007
Hi everybody this is only my second time posting on here.
well as it stands right now i am in the US Navy..for the next year or two...but when I get out me and my wife are planning a move to the DR. She grew up there untill she was 15 and has lots of family and connections down there. (The family reason is a main reason we are moving down as I really have no family left to speak of and most of hers has moved back to DR) we have a good amount of time to plan the move and she has what I think is a realistic idea of the funds needed to get established down there...about US $10,000...my question is whether this is a realistic figure or not...please bear in mind that I alread have a job lined up down there and my wife is also enthusiastic to get back to work. The 10,000 is just to get goods down to DR and establish a place to live (I will be working almost as soon as I get there)...thank you for taking time to read my post.
Daniel

harrydr

On Vacation
Dec 12, 2006
moving to the DR

Over the next year or so while you're still serving, think about the things you have in your house and decide what really is important.

The cost of the smallest cargo container (20 foot) is between US$3,000 - US$5,000. I would suggest either selling or putting your stuff in storage. Move down and make sure everything is cool. Then decide later if you should bring your items down. You can get most everything here to set up house. You can bring wedding albums, family photos, your best sheets or your favorite frying pan down in a suitcase or two.

Test the water before you dive in, it could save you a lot of money.

Best of luck and thank you for serving.

ruromastyx1

Jul 29, 2007
yeah thats about what we are planning, we have a car my wife wants to bring down, and I am bringing my motorcycle..so what ever would fin in the container after that can go but we really don't have much we can't part with. Thanks for the info