Marrying a Dominican

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
I had two legal questions that i need to know.

1.) Is it true that if i marry a Dominican then i will be granted automatic citizenship?...(Take into account that i am a woman.)

2.) If you are a Canadian Citizen and you have a baby(with the father being a Dominican of course) in DOminican how difficult will it be to obtain a Canadian passport for the child?

I have these questions because i am a Canadian Citizen, my Fiance is Dominican. He has a government job there and makes good money and has no intentions of leaving the country. I am taking the plung to move there again for good this time.

Any info would be great

Thanks

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You do not automatically become a Dominican citizen. You will still need to apply and jump through all the hoops.
Your child if born there will be Dominican and as such would have to apply for a visa to enter Canada (you can 'sponsor' the child if you are applying for residency) just as any other Dominican. I do not believe it is possibly to register a foreign birth for Canadian citizenship like citizens of the United States can, however a call to Canada Immigration (or check the gov't website) will answer that question.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
research this carefully, very carefully..

and congrats..are we invited :laugh:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Neat.......that makes it a lot easier doesn't it??!

(shows how long it's been since I had a baby!!:D)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
KYLE said: research this carefully, very carefully..

I agree, not so much the citizenship but the person involved.....go slow.

Does the person have a visa to travel to Canada or the US? If not, he is not very high on the pecking order. Can he support you on his salary (plus tips. Why else would he be working for the government?)

Have you checked him out thoroughly>??

Caution.

HB

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
A friend of mine (American female) who lives in the DR, married to a Dominican - had a baby in June, but she went back to the States to have it. The Dominican husband was able to attend the birth in Chicago, then they all went back home to Santiago.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Being a Canadian - have your baby in Canada not the DR.

Caution - Do not get pregnant just to get your future husband a VISA. That would be very stupid. A new marriage is difficult enough without getting an innocent child involved. Babies can make life very difficult for any new relationship.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Back to the Breadwinner

... have a baby... in DOminican how difficult...
In DOminican what?
Ask the father of your child what his country is called.
But alas, he may not know either...

...my Fiance is Dominican.... and has no intentions of leaving the country.
How do you know?
Oh yes, he said so... :laugh:

I am taking the plung to move there again for good this time.
I suppose, you'll be most welcome... ;)

Janin

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
If he works for the government, he is only good until Leonel is in office. Once he is gone, your husband will be too. Does he have any other forms of income that will kick in when he is out of work again?

BTW - have your baby in Canada. Free healthcare and no visa worries...

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
Thanks for the info. AnnaC you were most helpful.

As for my fiance, it funny how so many people think all Dominican men are sankies. I do however understand why.

I have been friends with him for about four years and we have been together as a couple for about a year and a half. He makes good salary. We will be living with his family so the support is there. (His father is a politician and his brother works in the government as well.) He has a visa for the US since he was a child.

As for having a baby, I don't have any children yet and the only reason we want children is because we love children and want some together. I wanted the info for the future when we do decide to start a family.

Thanks for all the concern and advise. You guys sure know the Dominican ways..as do I...I can spot a Sankie a mile away!!

Sharkyitis

Aug 2, 2007
My daughter married a Dominican and it did not work out. She is back in Canada now, saying that because they were married in the Dominican, the marriage is not recognized as legal in Canada. Is this true?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
My daughter married a Dominican and it did not work out. She is back in Canada now, saying that because they were married in the Dominican, the marriage is not recognized as legal in Canada. Is this true?

Would the marriage of a Canadian in The Canadian be recognized?

obmat'

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
She is back in Canada now, saying that because they were married in the Dominican, the marriage is not recognized as legal in Canada. Is this true?

here's a copy paste from the legal forum

Marriage certificate validity abroad

The document issued by ?Oficial de Estado Civil? (City Clerk) is a valid marriage certificate.

Nevertheless, in case you are considering a name change or applying for a visa for one of the spouses, you may consider validating the marriage certificate at your consulate in the DR.

Yes it is recognized in "the Canadian" ;) therefore she would need a divorce to remarry

Last edited:

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I sure do not know the answer to your question Rocky.....

....but I, for one, surely do love the "Dominican"......hahahaha....and it seems like many others do too!hahahaha

To all of you still trying to "solve" folks from speaking of the DR in the wrong manner.....keep on with the good fight! You are pushing a 1,000# boulder up a hill...hahaha.

Dave

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes it is recognized in "the Canadian" ;) therefore she would need a divorce to remarry
What I want to know is if I can get married while I am in the Dominican, and do you think it would be a wise decision, given the passion of the moment, and could I easily have it annulled, give the moment of passion, and do you think that a Catholic priest would be willing to preside over the ceremony, what with us being in such a horizontal position, and if he would, would he lie down next to us, and would we still need two witnesses, and finally, could we webcam all of this and get it onto CNN?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What I want to know is if I can get married while I am in the Dominican, and do you think it would be a wise decision, given the passion of the moment, and could I easily have it annulled, give the moment of passion, and do you think that a Catholic priest would be willing to preside over the ceremony, what with us being in such a horizontal position, and if he would, would he lie down next to us, and would we still need two witnesses, and finally, could we webcam all of this and get it onto CNN?

ummm I can't seem to find the answer in the legal page :paranoid: I might need outside help on this one

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ummm I can't seem to find the answer in the legal page :paranoid: I might need outside help on this one
Putting the legal aspects aside, do you know of anyone else who has attempted this feat?
Might it even be worthy of getting into the Guinness Book of World Records?

PS: And what about Hustler Magazine?
Are they still around?
I bet this would be right up their alley.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The main obstacle is finding a member of the clergy or justice of the peace to overlook the brief premarital sex. The ceremony would consumate during post marital sex. I am sure this ritual has been performed somewhere.

'obmat

Status
Not open for further replies.