sailing to D.R.

jimmywilliamson

Jul 30, 2007
Hi everyone...
Me and a friend are sailing to the D.R. leaving Miami around the first of aug..
i was wondering what i should bring for gifts and or trade goods..
And where are good anchorages...and dive sites...
Thanks Jimmy

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Sailing

Jimmy,

I sailed down from Panama City FL when I came the first time and had brought mostly food, candy, and some school stuff. When I go to the states now I always bring back some nice used clothing and shoes from the local second hand store. This stuff is expensive here and can be bought there for a few dollars. I also go to the dollar type stores and get a bunch of big bags of candy and a bunch of the stuff like bracelets, hair clips/ties, and toys. Last time I bought CD players for $7 a piece at wal-mart, they were a big hit. Hope it helps.

Are you sailing straight here or going through the Bahamas?

Steve

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh how I wish that Lloyd had sailed down here like he wanted to do. I wanted to crew for him.....

HB

jimmywilliamson

Jul 30, 2007
yes we are going through the Bahamas i want to dive the bimini road cross the bank to deep water and just island hop.. we are in no hurry and keeping one eye on the storms..

barhanna

Aug 20, 2005
www.geocities.com
school supplies

Dock at the Ocean World Marina in Cofresi. Bring the school supplies to Chris and Mady's Restaurant. It is a drop off point for distributing school supplies to kids and families who cannot afford it.

jimmywilliamson

Jul 30, 2007
hipocrito mejia
we are island hopping so if we find some place we like we may stay for a week or month we are in no hurry ... the boat is a 30' siedelman
barhanna
i will try to get some supplies to Chris...
slas
Thank you for the info...
hillbilly
mabe we can go for a sail when we get there.??
and Thanks to all

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Most sailboats dock in Luperon. Boats go there when storms are approaching. It is a well protected harbour. Ocean World is expensive, but closer to the city for night life.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A few of us on the board have done this route. To make it comfortable and easy, get ahold of a copy of The Gentlemen's Guide to Passages South .. It is a fun read with lots of 'must have' good info about your route, and you may even run into Bruce in Luperon.

One of the most beautiful sails I've done in my life, was leaving the Bahamas and heading for the Turks and Caicos -- a few hours before departure, someone pulled up a fresh tuna, we barbecued, ate and got going slowly. Beautiful night, bright bright moon, shiny luminescense in the water and clear with just enough wind to sit back and relax. 6 boats made the crossing and no-one slept - everyone stayed up and awake just to enjoy the beauty. Came into Providenciales as the sun broke out - that's the way life should be. ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hi everyone...
Me and a friend are sailing to the D.R. leaving Miami around the first of aug..
i was wondering what i should bring for gifts and or trade goods..
And where are good anchorages...and dive sites...
Thanks Jimmy

Aha, I forgot to answer your questions ... got sidetracked thinking about sailing.. :classic:

Luperon is the safest anchorage - one of the best hurricane holes in the Caribbean.
Trade Goods? Don't quite know where you will trade them but things that have value in the DR would be a few big-ass inverters, televisions of course, cell phones, and electronic stuff.
For gifts, school stuff as has been mentioned.

Chikara

Jun 16, 2007
Chris
We enjoyed reading your story very much.
My husband and I are thinking about buying a boat, but we don't have any experience.
Maybe you or anyone else, who is reading this, can give us information over where to buy a good used one, or any information at all.
We live at the north-coast of the DR, and we don't have very much money to spend.
We are most greatfull over any information we can get.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
My husband and I are thinking about buying a boat, but we don't have any experience.

I would say find a friend with a boat and sail and learn with the friend for a year or two before you make a decision on buying a boat. Most people with a boat will appreciate an extra pair of hands to work on the boat while learning.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Well it is really interesting that nobody has indicated what it cost to enter the DR - Upfront commissions and all and the exit costs. My understading is that these are cosiderable even for a well heeled yachty.

We have been considering entering a few boats in the Casa de Campo Regatas next year in February but have been frightened off by the " unforseen expenses".

Any comments?