Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Al Sharpton alive and kicking at the US Embassy!

I know we have a policy of keeping racism off the board, but sometimes somethings just need to be talked about.

Embassy bans its employees from Loft (story below)

My favorite line from the press release.

"Bullen says that it is rare for an embassy to make a decision of this type, but added that the clubs are violating both Dominican and US laws".

Who cares that they are breaking US laws, this is the DR, hello!!!

Embassy bans its employees from Loft
    The US Embassy in the DR has prohibited its employees from visiting the popular Santo Domingo nightclub "Loft" because of alleged racial discrimination practiced by the nightclub. Roland Bullen, Charge d'Affaires at the Embassy, informed all US citizens belonging to the diplomatic mission that they should not visit that club because it did not allow admission of an African-American US Embassy employee on 22 July. Bullen said that in 2005 his predecessor Lisa Kubiske tried to persuade several Santo Domingo nightclub owners to change their admissions policies because of continued complaints from African-American embassy employees. Bullen says that it is rare for an embassy to make a decision of this type, but added that the clubs are violating both Dominican and US laws.
    See the Embassy press release on the matter at: Departamento de Estado Emite Informe Sobre Trata de Personas 2007

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My question is what is this press release, and the prohibition, REALLY going to do? Its not as if people will stop going to the club, maybe they'll just go more. Who cares, honestly. Its not as if its a good club anyway. Have you been Loft??????? In fact Mr. Bullen has given a bad club some free press. Nice job!

At the same time, where are the details from the night and incident in question? I'd like to know if their was legitimate racial discrimination or if there was something else that happened that resulted in that guy not getting in?

WHATEVER!!!!!!!!! We can now put this under the no one cares because we are in the DR file.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Al Sharpton?

Robert, I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it against Dominican law to discriminate based on skin color? As the press release stated, they are breaking DOMINICAN laws, too.

I am sure that someone close to some higher-ups at the U.S. Embassy was the one discriminated against. That is why the "unprecedented" step of the press release.

Should the American Embassy not say anything?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Al Sharpton?

I am sure that someone close to some higher-ups at the U.S. Embassy was the one discriminated against.

It was Condoleeza Rice

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

"Bullen says that it is rare for an embassy to make a decision of this type, but added that the clubs are violating both Dominican and US laws".

Who cares that they are breaking US laws, this is the DR, hello!!!

[/url]
    The american embassy has an obligation not to support anything that is against the US law whether the incident occurs in the US or outside it's shores. Dominicans are free to do whatever they want in their country whether the US likes it or not.........but to the extent that it is something that our laws/society stands against, then the embassy has every right to refuse to support it.

I am not sure whether the embassy staff was refused because of color or some other reason. If the reason is due to race, then the american embassy has made an excellent call in my opinion and I completely support it. Alan Sharpton will blame everything and anything on race if he can, but this (if it is really what it seems to be) is entirely different.

Sholly

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure it's against Dominican law as far as I'm aware, but that's not why I highlighted a particular paragraph.

My point is this... Why throw in the US law comment, this is the DR?
    Are the exporting laws along with moral values these days?

Bottom line.

Loft will be jam packed this weekend.

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Condoleeza Rice it sounds like a mexican dish...........
    LMAO

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Robert;542717]I know we have a policy of keeping racism off the board, but sometimes somethings just need to be talked about.

I See. But you're not really interested in discussing the issue of racism, and the unprecedented steps taken by the Embassy to address the matter. Rather, you want to talk about Al Sharpton and.. what? Is he down there, too?

In any event, I am curious if any of the members of DR1 have been to this place and if so have they observed or experienced this discriminatory policy themselves.

Also, I don't believe this thread should be shut down, since the article is right there, on DR1's site, and worthy of discussion.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure it's against Dominican law as far as I'm aware, but that's not why I highlighted a particular paragraph.

Bottom line.

Loft will be jam packed this weekend.
    Remember what Albert Schweitzer in 1913 told his African dependents in the colony of French Equatorial Africa: "I am your brother, but your older brother."

He went to Africa on the belief that Westerners have a moral duty to provide order, law, and good government to subject peoples. In the absense of colonial authority, despotism, cruelty, corruption, and incompetence would prevail.

Hm.... perhaps there is something of the sort from the part of the US embassy or maybe not....

-NALs
    Last edited by NALs; 07-31-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking they included "US law" part to show that American employees are expected to uphold American standards/ideals or something along those lines? I mean, in Amsterdam certain drugs are legal, but I'm assuming that the Embassy doesn't want its employees indulging in such things, since they're against American law.

I don't really know, and I'll admit I'm completely clueless about these things, so I'm just throwing out a guess.
    Last edited by StellaRay; 07-31-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast