Good news - Google Earth updated Santiago images

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Well what do you know. I had pretty much given up on google earth updating their Santiago images. Last time I logged in to it was like 4 months ago.

I'm now able to see the barrio where I was born and raised (pretty cool):

4pmhjex.jpg

Sep 19, 2005
I cant load google earth at work, but I can get into google maps which has the satelite photos option. They havent updated those in over a year. There is a VERY blurred section or sections of the photos where you cant tell chit from shinolla. and it ends 100 yards from my GFs house!!!(maybe thats a good thing!!) ha ha ha

there are section of the north coast that are blurred as well. I wonder if Google Earth has those same blurred images.

Alex if you get over top of the STI airport, and then move 5 miles north and east....is the photo blurred?...it seems all around Moca is blurred.

bob

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I cant load google earth at work, but I can get into google maps which has the satelite photos option. They havent updated those in over a year. There is a VERY blurred section or sections of the photos where you cant tell chit from shinolla. and it ends 100 yards from my GFs house!!!(maybe thats a good thing!!) ha ha ha

there are section of the north coast that are blurred as well. I wonder if Google Earth has those same blurred images.

Alex if you get over top of the STI airport, and then move 5 miles north and east....is the photo blurred?...it seems all around Moca is blurred.

bob

Moca has not been photographed yet, that's why it looks like that.

That's the greatest area of interest to me so far (every other place of interest has been photographed by google earth) and apparently, they are going to photograph everywhere around the Moca area but not Moca itself!

Ugh!

This update was strictly a Santiago update, because notice something about the airport? It doesn't show the gates connectors that exist on the western end of the terminal.

Also, in Santiago the HOMS still looks "under construction" on google earth when its practically finished already.

And the new image of Santiago appears to be old (eventhough it was recently uploaded into google earth) because notice that the Colinas Mall is still under construction there when in reality the place is finished and open for business. Also, I recognized an acquaintance house, but next to it the image shows a house under construction when in fact that house was completed about a year ago.

They need to re-do the entire Cibao with truly recent photographs.

It would be even better if they would take the new shots with the high quality camera they used for the Weschester County, NY or even the San Juan, Puerto Rico shots.

The difference in quality is amazing vs the shots taken over the DR.

-NALs

Sep 19, 2005
my friends says that on his google earth he can get a birds eye view and actually come down into a town and get a view going along SIDE of the buildings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! amazing!!.it zooms like you wont believe.....

bob

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

That's the greatest area of interest to me so far (every other place of interest has been photographed by google earth) and apparently, they are going to photograph everywhere around the Moca area but not Moca itself!

Ugh!

This update was strictly a Santiago update, because notice something about the airport? It doesn't show the gates connectors that exist on the western end of the terminal.

Also, in Santiago the HOMS still looks "under construction" on google earth when its practically finished already.

And the new image of Santiago appears to be old (eventhough it was recently uploaded into google earth) because notice that the Colinas Mall is still under construction there when in reality the place is finished and open for business. Also, I recognized an acquaintance house, but next to it the image shows a house under construction when in fact that house was completed about a year ago.

They need to re-do the entire Cibao with truly recent photographs.

It would be even better if they would take the new shots with the high quality camera they used for the Weschester County, NY or even the San Juan, Puerto Rico shots.

The difference in quality is amazing vs the shots taken over the DR.

-NALs

I agree on the image quality!!! At least we have something though :cheeky:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Great map Tiguerazo!

I estimate the aerial to be at least 2 years old based on the fact that my house was completed in November 2005 and it doesn't show up.

Also, can anybody locate Camp David for me? It is right around the corner from my house.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ambar is still open.
I got really close to my house (1300 feet or so)

Like to see the coastline a bit better.

HB

Sep 19, 2005
Also, can anybody locate Camp David for me? It is right around the corner from my house.

here ya go chipo....I dont have google earth because you need to have vista or xp, and I have an old mellinium OS....this is just google maps satelite..
Google Maps

you can make out the parking are to the left side of the main resturant pretty easily....

bob

Sep 19, 2005
chipoo in the google link i gave if you move over to the group of houses on the upper right( about 4 or 5 buildings.) Thats Camp David resturant and hotel.....once you are directly over top...zoom out to get an idea of how far outside Santiago it is....

bob

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

Inquiring minds want to know???

Sep 19, 2005

yeah whats with the interest in MOCA??? there is NOTHING nor NO ONE in Moca... they all left years ago...just empty pig pens so stay out of MOCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there is a huge plague there I hear so dont go near MOCA!!!!!!!!!!!!

they say Los Patos is really really nice...go check out that place NALS

ha ha ha ha

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
A woman complained that the pictures were so clear and accurate that they captured her cat sitting in the front window of her house in Brooklyn!

So...... of course people protested. It was a violation of privacy.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks Bob - Camp David is about 3 plus miles as the crow flies from my house.

Don - ever heard of a country mile? haha but really it only takes 10 min. to get to Camp David from my house.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I own a property outside of Moca on the road to Salcedo via Las Lagunas and I simply wanted to know if its easily visible via Google Earth. When they do Moca, they will most likely capture the sorrounding area which is still blurred.

-NALs ;)