Iphone in DR

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Question for residents and visitors in DR, santo domingo especially; Is anyone using their Iphone down there? If so, are you using the Orange network? Any info you can give is great.

I purchased a phone in DR a while ago, usually I just purchase more minutes and get a new number when i visit, but this time i'd like to stick to the one phone.

Thanks!

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
if your phone is carrier unlocked ( i don't thimk so ) you can use Orange or Claro GSM......

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Thanks for the replies. On AT&T's site I discovered (after some digging) a list of countries that you can use the iphone and the networks that support it. In DR, the network is Orange. There's no way to unlock the phone, as you said, and the rates to roam on Orange's network are ridiculous.

At this point I'll just continue using the phone I purchased for use in DR.

Thanks again!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
SIM card in I-PHONE same as battery is integrated. You cannot insert another SIM even if you get it unlocked somehow, so with i-phone you are stuck with AT&T with its huge rates. At least I was not able to remove it.

Another thing that I dislike about my I-PHONE is very small icons in sub-menues. I think I have fingers of a medium size, but even I manage to touch a correct icon only with a corner of my finger nail. VERY inconvenient.

Changing battery like in I-POD wil be a big expensive problem as well.

I am disappointed with I-PHONE.

Thanks for the replies. On AT&T's site I discovered (after some digging) a list of countries that you can use the iphone and the networks that support it. In DR, the network is Orange. There's no way to unlock the phone, as you said, and the rates to roam on Orange's network are ridiculous.

Thanks again!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
SIM card in I-PHONE same as battery is integrated. You cannot insert another SIM even if you get it unlocked somehow, so with i-phone you are stuck with AT&T with its huge rates. At least I was not able to remove it.

Another thing that I dislike about my I-PHONE is very small icons in sub-menues. I think I have fingers of a medium size, but even I manage to touch a correct icon only with a corner of my finger nail. VERY inconvenient.

Changing battery like in I-POD wil be a big expensive problem as well.

I am disappointed with I-PHONE.

Correct me if I am wrong but did you not say just 2 days ago "Isn`t it the real happiness - to get satisfied with poco?" Does the new expensive iphone qualify? Doubt you would get one of those with only 1500 pesos in your pocket!!!!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Yes, I said this. I can say it again. And for this exact reason right now in my pocket I have my old cheap poor cellphone that I can present as a proof.

I did nothing bad to you, mujer, but you attack me como la pantera!!

Correct me if I am wrong but did you not say just 2 days ago "Isn`t it the real happiness - to get satisfied with poco?" Does the new expensive iphone qualify? Doubt you would get one of those with only 1500 pesos in your pocket!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All this over a piece of technology.
I never have state of the art gadgets!! Why? A few years or months down the line they are cheaper, proven/or not and you know what you are getting.

I got the #7 Harry Potter last week for less than $20!! Yeah, I know, it's not technology, but you should know what I mean....

HB

Guillen

Jan 5, 2007
All this over a piece of technology.
I never have state of the art gadgets!! Why? A few years or months down the line they are cheaper, proven/or not and you know what you are getting.

HB

The importance of today iphone, is more of the fact that it will start a trend of combining functions, not only as a phone but as the way we will keep information in the future. This first generation is not that good ( you can't even change the battery). Nevertheless, the touch screen size, wireless web connection and storage capacity will make this type, the laptop of the future.
Can you see the gangs of Passolas, searching for victims to get one of these?.
Not pretty !!!

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
It appears the "key" has been found by a 17 year old hacker, and unlocked iphones which could be used in the DR should be not far behind.

Teen trades hacked iPhone for new car - Yahoo! News

I read the stories about the hack. It was only a matter of time before someone (with the time and talent) figured it out.

The hack does affect some of the features of the iphone though- don't ask; I don't remember what they are. But also given the fact that a soldering iron is involved makes it unlikely i'd buy one.

Jan 5, 2006
There's already another hack that only involves software, however, Apple threathened the hackers, so for now it's not available.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005

Thanks again!

Yesterday on the news (Belgium). Iphone is already hacked and programmes free availlable on the internet.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
You guys are right, the Iphone is hackable via software and there is even a video online showing the software download to "T-Mobile" at work, resellers are selling the software starting at $50.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
The problem I'd guess, is that when the fragile battery dies, and you've used a hack Apple are seriously unhappy with, how do you get your battery changed? I was really looking forward to an iphone, despite not being that bothered about mobile phones, just because it did 'everything' really 'nicely' but from what I've read since it's launch, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole now. My pocket PC died, so I am looking at getting a smart phone... looks like it will be PC compliant again, not Mac.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
The problem I'd guess, is that when the fragile battery dies, and you've used a hack Apple are seriously unhappy with, how do you get your battery changed? I was really looking forward to an iphone, despite not being that bothered about mobile phones, just because it did 'everything' really 'nicely' but from what I've read since it's launch, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole now. My pocket PC died, so I am looking at getting a smart phone... looks like it will be PC compliant again, not Mac.

Keith:

I work in technology, have for years, and use Mac and PC platforms frequently and easily. You're right in questioning how these hacks will affect the warranty and such. I'd personally stay away from them (unless you have money to burn and don't care). However, In all my years of working with, rolling out, and supporting the latest and greatest, the iphone is one of the best communication devices your money can buy; for now and for the near future.

If you haven't had a chance to see or play with one, you should. Easy to navigate, intuitive,fast, smart and fun to use.

Even though I wasn't able to use mine in DR on this last trip, no biggie; We just purchased an unlocked phone at the Claro shop on the conde and kept going. I'm sure the Iphone will work in DR soon and if you're not there now, but can purchase and use it currently you won't be disappointed.

While i have heard a few people say, oh they won't buy it for this or that reason, I know of no one who purchased an Iphone and regrets it!

Go ahead, take the plunge; If you don't like it, you have 30 days to return it and purchase a, what was that again? ;)

Good Luck

CJ

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
The problem I'd guess, is that when the fragile battery dies, and you've used a hack Apple are seriously unhappy with.

Apple may not care at all (note may). You're not sending it to AT&T who is the one loosing the money.

Also a possibility might be to undo the unluck prior to sending it in. Since its software based it can certainly be undone

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mr C's quest for an iPhone continues. He says that people have found a way of using it here and has just bought himself one in the States. The proof of the pudding will be... when he gets back to the DR on Sunday.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
The IPhone can work in any country that has GSM networks. All you need to do is unlock the phone (which is a free and reversible process), swap the SIM with one from Orange or Claro, then turn it on. No roaming charges from AT&T andorries about voiding your warranty.....only thing to worry about is watching your back everytime you use the phone. And Apple does lose money along with AT&T because they get a share of the profits for every IPhone that is connected. Apple's making money from all angles on this.