Haitian Immigrants kids to go to school

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
According to a recent report, children of Haitian immigrants will be able to enroll in public schools even though they are illegal. I for one support this as the humanitarian thing to do. I would support this in the USA as well.

El Diario/LA PRENSA ??? OnLine??

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I am 100 % in agreement, but I read another article indicating that the information was wrong and no such instruction was given. Will look for that report.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The following two papers (same article on two papers) are reporting that Pedro Diep regional education director was misunderstood or in his words "un error en apreciacion". So the Dominican government will continue its policy of denying children with Haitian background to be denied access to a school education. Sad and tragic.

Director regional de Educaci?n niega que autorizara inscribir los haitianos ilegales :: Nacionales :: DiarioDigitalRD.com - Noticias Republica Dominicana

El Nacional, la voz de todos

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
awwwww that's really sad! I don't understand in what way could it hurt us to give those children the education they need! Doesn't the government realizes that these kids have the potential to improve their lives, their families?

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
With respect to other opposing opinions. I do not believe illegal immigrants in any country should be granted anything other than a way back to their home countries.

They are children, they did not choose to be in that situation and every child needs an education other wise we will have another generation of delinquants. Besides you know that most Haitians that come to our country are working for pennies, they are struggling to survive. We need to help those people instead of outcasting them from society.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I believe the general practice is that the children are allowed to study up to the 6th grade. To be accepted into 7th, legal documentation is required. There have been exceptions, but as is understandable for the government to issue a high school degree, legal documentation is necessary.

Hundreds of thousands of illegal Haitians without documentation have gone to school. The proof can be seen in the many that have jobs where they need to know how to read and write.

The problem with the most indigent Haitians is that their parents do not have any legal documentation, so it is very difficult to process them through the system. Their parents do not legally exist, so the children do not either.

It is important to note that there are thousands of Dominicans in the same situation, because for Dominicans if you do not get your birth certificate in the first month (a time consuming procedure), it then becomes a very difficult situation to get your birth certificate, so parents would just go postponing and postponing this.

This is a tragedy. Moreso because Dominican taxpayers have paid several times for a system that works to register children in the hospitals at birth.

Recently the Central Electoral Board, that is in charge of registrations, has taken new measures that reduce corruption and there is new legislation to go resolving the problem of the late registrations. Re those born of Haitian parents, there is the Libro de Extranjeria, but apparently international pressures have kept that from being implemented. That would at least give the children born of illegal parents some documentation.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I read that Pedro Diep, the regional Director of Education for the North Region was quoted as saying that he had given instructions to the local schools under his direction to accept Haitian children...Wonder if they ("THEY") lowered the booom on him...

His arguments were certainly sound...."without education we are raising the next generation of delinquents..."

D@mn..

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I read that Pedro Diep, the regional Director of Education for the North Region was quoted as saying that he had given instructions to the local schools under his direction to accept Haitian children...Wonder if they ("THEY") lowered the booom on him...

His arguments were certainly sound...."without education we are raising the next generation of delinquents..."

D@mn..

HB

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I respectfully disagree with some of what is written here.

I believe the general practice is that the children are allowed to study up to the 6th grade.

Pretty much what was written in the articles about what the regional director of education Pedro Diep said goes against this.

Hundreds of thousands of illegal Haitians without documentation have gone to school. The proof can be seen in the many that have jobs where they need to know how to read and write.

This statement does not jive with most studies that indicate that Haitians are by a large percentage employed in menial jobs like cane cutters, construction, crop pickers or selling sweets in the streets. By in large these jobs do not require any formal education were reading or writing is a prerequisite.

The problem with the most indigent Haitians is that their parents do not have any legal documentation, so it is very difficult to process them through the system. Their parents do not legally exist, so the children do not either.

This precisely the reason why they are not allowed to register to attend school.

It is important to note that there are thousands of Dominicans in the same situation, because for Dominicans if you do not get your birth certificate in the first month (a time consuming procedure), it then becomes a very difficult situation to get your birth certificate, so parents would just go postponing and postponing this.

But the right for a Dominican to attend school is guaranteed. Its just a question of requesting their birth certificate. They are legal and do exist.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A.Hidalgo said:
This statement does not jive with most studies that indicate that Haitians are by a large percentage employed in menial jobs like cane cutters, construction, crop pickers or selling sweets in the streets. By in large these jobs do not require any formal education were reading or writing is a prerequisite.
I understand why you would say that cutting cane, crop picking, and selling sweets in the street are menial jobs.

But, construction?

Try telling that to the construction workers (almost all Haitians) working at the Torre Caney (a 30-plus residential tower), the Metro, and all the projects that have sprouted all over the capital.

They need to know how to read maps and plans, they need to know at least basic math, they need to know plenty of skills that are not easily learned outside formal education of some sort and certainly those skills makes construction anything but menial.

A.Hidalgo said:
But the right for a Dominican to attend school is guaranteed. Its just a question of requesting their birth certificate. They are legal and do exist.
Requesting a birth certificate is not as simple as one would believe based on your comment. Sure, it's just a question of requesting a birth certificate, but my my, its a pain for normal people with all their documents to request anything from the Dominican government, imagine what its like for Dominicans who legally don't "exist"!

The guarantee that you claim exist for Dominican citizens also exist for legal Haitian migrants. Its only a question of being legal and having legitimate documentation to prove it.

-NALs

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
There are over 1 million Dominican children without any paperwork.
This is the amount that is known.
Of course they do exist but without the documentation how can they be registered and put into the 'system'? There should be a way and I surely hope that the problem will be looked after.
The government stated, I believe last year already, that they would look into solving this problem.

In regards to the Haitians - of course they should get an education and yes the country is raising another generation of delinquents.
But what a task that would be. I am sure the amount spent on the Metro would have helped.

Most of the menial and hard dirty jobs are left to the Haitians and usually, not always, hired by those that say they hate them and are useless and should be in there own country of Haiti.

A construction worker - as in a master bricklayer - will make up to 1000 pesos a day. That is not small change considering what their usual cost of living is.

As far as Haitian education the level and quality of education far surpasses that provided in the RD.
Most children will be much further ahead with some of the basics such reading, writing, and mathematics.

I am always amazed at how quickly a Haitian will learn Spanish.
Compare that to the amount of hospitality workers in the north and south that after having worked with the public for many years still don't even know how to speak any english. (this always amazes me).

In a perfect world each and every child would get an education but it is not.
The Haitians are here to stay and are an integrated part of the RD.
We can only hope that some day soon the focus will finally turn towards bettering the next generation as opposed to ribbon cutting for new political feel good projects and kick backs.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Agree

I agree with many of the posts.
My better half went to register some kids in the bateys of Cabarete
recently and whether Dominican or Haitian, their children have the
right to go to primary school. But the moms.....man, they didn't
know dates of birth, father's last name, or who father was, or
their own age, or anything at all. Difficult for us gringos to comprehend
at times, but we've not lived in their shoes. The 5-year-old girl's
'dream' is "to marry a gringo". The boys? They, at 5 or 6 years old,
aspire to be "moto concho drivers", (their comments, de verdad).
We've got a long way to go. But hopefully we've got a long time to
go and just stay at it, poco a poco. Hay otra forma?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
But, construction?

They need to know how to read maps and plans, they need to know at least basic math, they need to know plenty of skills that are not easily learned outside formal education of some sort and certainly those skills makes construction anything but menial.

Most likely got schooled in Haiti and even with all their problems, their public education is better than the Dominican at least in the basics. Anyway this thread is about Haitian children born in the DR not getting their ABC's.

The guarantee that you claim exist for Dominican citizens also exist for legal Haitian migrants. Its only a question of being legal and having legitimate documentation to prove it.

I understand but the article found in the OP, is dealing with undocumented or like some prefer alien Haitians. Btw its curious that those you call legal Haitians are not those children born in Dominican territory, weird.:paranoid:

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Ah no, if the education is better in Haiti then the dominican government should just send those children to Haiti ASAP, because it is not fair for those children not to get an education here when they can get it in their own country.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Ah no, if the education is better in Haiti then the dominican government should just send those children to Haiti ASAP, because it is not fair for those children not to get an education here when they can get it in their own country.

I'm sure the Dominican Government would love to do exactly that.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I'm sure the Dominican Government would love to do exactly that.

If they would have truly want to, the borders would have been enforced a long time ago and we wouldnt have to deal w/ all of this human trafficking and enslavement.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I am always amazed at how quickly a Haitian will learn Spanish. Compare that to the amount of hospitality workers in the north and south that after having worked with the public for many years still don't even know how to speak any english. (this always amazes me)..

Well DUH! French and Spanish belong to the same language family, so it is closer for speakers of both language to learn the other's language before english.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
"But the right for a Dominican to attend school is guaranteed. Its just a question of requesting their birth certificate. They are legal and do exist."

Offspring of parents who do not have birth certificates, regardless of their claiming Dominican or any other nationality, fall in the same legal limbo as the Haitians with parents without documents. These children are allowed to be registered in school until 6th grade. After that, it becomes a difficult process because the school needs to present documentation to the Ministry of Education for the issuing of the class certificates. Those children are also in a legal limbo status.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A.Hidalgo said:
Most likely got schooled in Haiti and even with all their problems, their public education is better than the Dominican at least in the basics. Anyway this thread is about Haitian children born in the DR not getting their ABC's.
Do you actually believe every myth?

I would say that Haiti's public education system, at best is equaled to that of the DR. Of course, they DO have a much larger shortage of schools in rural areas (where the majority of Haitians live) and much lower enrollment rates than the DR.

So, please enlighten everyone how Haiti public education is "better" than the Dominican. At the very best, they are both equal and IF the Haitian education system is "better" (which I strongly doubt), its obviously not being enjoyed by a very large portion of the population.

A country where only 53% of the population is literate can't possibly have an overall better education system than a country where 87% can read and write.

Did you know the DR has one of the highest newspaper circulation rate in the world for a country of its size? These newspapers can't possibly be printing for an illiterate population.

Haiti's literacy rate

DR literacy rate

BTW, if you don't want people to discuss education, then don't inject such into the thread.

A.Hidalgo said:
I understand but the article found in the OP, is dealing with undocumented or like some prefer alien Haitians. Btw its curious that those you call legal Haitians are not those children born in Dominican territory, weird.:paranoid:
How did you arrived to that conclusion?

Legal are all peoples who are recognized by the Dominican government to be in the DR without violating any laws regarding such.

So, Hidalgo answer the following for me:

If a legal Haitian who is not "in transit" has a child in the DR, would that child be legal?

I think so, in fact that child would even receive Dominican citizenship. I see no problem with that, given that the parents of such child were responsible enough to do things the legal and right way.

So, please explain to me and everyone else how you came to your conclusion that Haitian children born in the DR are not legal.

-NALs :chinese:

Last edited:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
???

Well DUH! French and Spanish belong to the same language family, so it is closer for speakers of both language to learn the other's language before english.

I guess I should have posted my comment to the elementary level.

There are more Canadian and American tourists visiting the RD.
How many do you know that can even say hello in French?
I had mentioned English since it is my native tongue (which means it is my first language in case you didn't know).
For that matter they should know some of at least these four major languages after working for years with these tourists.

It is MHO that the educational system is better in Haiti based on the curriculum that they have and my personal experience with Haitians.