citro?n 2cv

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Is this that little tiny car that gets like a zillion miles to the gallon?

:bored:

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
it is not such a tiny car. it was a collector french car built from WWII to late 80's. The concept was to keep it as simple as possible with only the basics in it, fairly comfortable and a straightforward, easy to maintain engine. The shape is king of unique with a roundish body, retractable sunroof (manual of course) and flip us side windows.

it was a huge success in France and a bit Europe but never in the US or Canada. I believe South America had some at one point.

Your chance of finding one down here are minimal.

Even if you find one in Colombia or Chile, it will be impossible to import due to its age, or very expensive.

I would try to redirect to a good old beetle for your kit.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there used to be a few of them here. I have not seen any recently, but I have not actually been on the lookout for them. There is a Citroen dealer in Santo Domingo. I think it is owned by Corripio...

HB

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
One of the specifications for building it was that it had to be so easy to drive that the local farmers wife could take a basket of eggs and drive to the market without breaking an egg.

The largest one has a 602 cc motor and there are a few lovely kitcars build around it for a verry low cost 3 to 5000?

http://www.lepatronbelgium.be/lpb_nl/gallery.htm

Is it possible to import the bottomplate and motor and creating from this base a car that is authorised in the dr?
greetings

Johan

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
I am not sure about importing it. I am not an expert but I think DR has restriction on importing cars older than 5 years old. Maybe a "collector" car classification does exist to facilitate import.

If I had to import a Citroen, I would get a DS in a heartbeat...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The 2Cv was the French response to the original German Volks Wagen (beetle). While quality wise far behind the German car, the 2Cv profited from not being a reminder of the 3rd Reich's design style and regained a last big success in the late 60's and early 70's hippies area, interestingly enough together with the VW-Bus which carried a design largely based on the original beetle.

Also the 2Cv had a furgon spin of: The J3... most of them have however rusted to total transparency decades ago.

I have seen one late 2Cv here, and if my memory serves me right, it was in Santo Domingo.

Btw... never been a very safe car (besides being virtually impossible to barrel roll), even much less safe within this traffic environment (INSHO).

... J-D.