It's been 6 months now... and what a blaze.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yes, 6 months ago, just upon half way settling in my first rental apartment, few hours after landing at POP, I wrote the thread below, just wondering if that Internet connection would do what it was hoped to: Just arrived.
So, yesterday, while the Swiss celebrated their 716th year of independence, probably eating funny smelling melted cheese dishes and watching the fireworks flashing against a the mountainous skyline, I quietly celebrated with a "fria vien flia" on a bench at the Malecon of "my" Puerto Plata, watching my 182nd Dominican sundown.
Well, the 6 months test was a true winner and Puerto Plata has indeed become my home for now. Maybe my location may eventually shift a little out of the city. But for now, I not only enjoy seeing this little town being growing along with the new renovation efforts finally showing nice results, the Malecon becoming a whole new place but also the small town flair yet giving me access to most services and goods I seem to need for a satisfied life.
In many ways, and probably partly because this is not my first ex-pat experience, there have not been to many negative surprises... actually many less than the positive ones. Still, my way to look at the island, the country and it's many different places, cultures and issues have not quite changed totally but perhaps matured into a different perception of things which slowly becomes natural.
And I am still learning and discovering, actually I hope this will never change, I get so easily bored.
I have made a few friends, but quite good ones actually it seems, out of different social back grounds and in various corners of the country and slowly get back into business. Speaking the base language is of course not just helpful but of essence, in my opinion.

I just want to thank all of you here on this forum, who constantly recommend everybody voicing their interest to come live here, to just rent for a 6 months or so. Not that I thought about buying anything immediately, but still, I now learned so much about locations I was interested in after my first trip here and also from surfing the net once my interest for the country definitely got sparked.

I can only urge anybody wanting to come here to consider a similar approach:
Come here only once you have the money to live without working (if you don't have a reasonable source of income secured) for at least half a year. Just looking for the right location where you want to still rent for a longer time will take you a good while and setting things up, like Internet, phone lines, getting acquainted with the various offices and their locations and so forth, will keep you busy enough, you won't miss working so fast! Rent, rent, rent and don't "invest" in anything (nor anybody) before you really made up you mind based on knowledge and not "intuition" or the recommendation of a "friend" you have never known.
And face it, the language here is Spanish.

DR-Lite... that's probably the word.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To all who are considering making the DR their new home, I highly recommend JD's post as essential reading.
It covers a variety of important points, and if you adhere to that 6 month rule, you will increase your chances of success and happiness, one hundred fold.
I do understand that there are those who successfully skip this part as their circumstances are quite different, but they are the exception.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
J [SIZE=2 said:
I can only urge anybody wanting to come here to consider a similar approach:[/SIZE]
Come here only once you have the money to live without working (if you don't have a reasonable source of income secured) for at least half a year Rent, rent, rent and don't "invest"
And face it, the language here is Spanish.

DR-Lite... that's probably the word.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Excellent post!
I would add just one detail. From my experience, the amount needed for a newcomer will be approximatelly $2500 per month per person for an acceptable living and $3000 or more if you need some extras once in a while. (medical expenses not included).

Assuming that you already have a car ( that I personally wouldn`t recommend - too much risk and potential exposure)

Without a car - add another $150-$300 per month to cover basic local transportation.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I just have a question I have been wondering for a while. Since expats don't like the local cuisine nor the local vegetables because they are bad quality, do most of them grow their own food? Thanks.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I just have a question I have been wondering for a while. Since expats don't like the local cuisine nor the local vegetables because they are bad quality, do most of them grow their own food? Thanks.
I'm at a loss as to where this info comes from.
While it is true that most Gringo expats are not fond of using excessive amounts of cooking oil, like the locals do, and a lot of the expats, would prefer to eat broccoli and cauliflower, rather than yuca and tallotas, this does not translate into them not liking local cuisine, nor does it mean that the quality of the veggies is bad.
Certainly, most expats do not grow their own food.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
"just have a question I have been wondering for a while. Since expats don't like the local cuisine nor the local vegetables because they are bad quality, do most of them grow their own food? Thanks."

No problem with the local cusine, vegetables, furits etc. I have never eaten better or been healither in my life. Not sure who you are talking to to make that statement.

Bob K

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
J.D.:
good post.
wise advice.

go slow, do it right the first time...better chance of having a successful retirement or life...

HB

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Well I read here all the time that the tomato isn't red enough or the meat is too tough or the lemon is not yellow enough....

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Well I read here all the time that the tomato isn't red enough or the meat is too tough or the lemon is not yellow enough....

The lemon is not yellow at all because it's lime.

Tomato not red enough, just wait a couple of days before eating it, you'll see how red and juicy it will be.

Meat too tough, I cook beef, chicken, pork, guinea, gallina, chivo.. Well, I guess I'm a good cook because my meat is never tough or I know where to buy it or both.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Maybe it is time for you to change your reading material!!! Please don't try to Hijack a good thread!!

Congrats to you J.D. I know a LOT of your enjoyment & success here is due to YOUR involvement with the community, your experience at Spanish being topnotch, your ability to take your time looking around if/when you need something & (all-in-all) you are a pretty 'Laid back guy'!!. ALL good qualities for a successful lifestyle here!! ~ Grahame.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
We don't generally call others assholes here in the living forum! (Edited by the moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
After spending the winter in the DR we hate having to come home to Canada to the 'terrible' fruit and veggies that lack flavour. Sure they might look nice but are woody and have no taste (hate to know how many vitamins and minerals they contain being picked green and spending weeks in transit!).
JD has truly made an excellent start in the right way!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
JD - great post and thread! You are doing many people a service by telling it like it is!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Tomato not red enough, just wait a couple of days before eating it, you'll see how red and juicy it will be.

(sorry off topic)
no that's not why, they are green or yellow because this is the kind of variety that doesn't turn red or ripe like a red tomato. The deliciously crispy green or yellow tomatoes are delightful. yum

Back on topic;
GREAT POST OP - Enjoy the island, (sanamente) ;)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks for all the nice comments to all who posted.
Actually, I am not yet quite as laid back as I try to appear, but that's one of the reasons I came here.... to become more like it, and no better place to learn it quick or die trying than La Isla de las Maravillas, verdad? :)

"just have a question I have been wondering for a while. Since expats don't like the local cuisine nor the local vegetables because they are bad quality, do most of them grow their own food? Thanks."

No problem with the local cusine, vegetables, furits etc. I have never eaten better or been healither in my life. Not sure who you are talking to to make that statement.

Bob K

Actually, one of the things I really love here, IS the local cuisine and food. I can eat almost everywhere and there are no strange flavors or funny looking stuff on the plate.
While things available one day to the other may vary and be limited, I found that one can eat quite well and at a very reasonable price. Yes, vegetables don't look so happy at times... but there is always something that makes it into my basket.
But yes, if one wants to replicate every thing from his home cuisine... let me tell you, I had a hard time to do some of my country's stuff or even just Italian cuisine the real Italian way in the US! Things change from country to country and that's legitimate and once accepted, quite interesting.

Thanks! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Maybe it is time for you to change your reading material!!! Please don't try to Hijack a good thread!!

Congrats to you J.D. I know a LOT of your enjoyment & success here is due to YOUR involvement with the community, your experience at Spanish being topnotch, your ability to take your time looking around if/when you need something & (all-in-all) you are a pretty 'Laid back guy'!!. ALL good qualities for a successful lifestyle here!! ~ Grahame.

Well Gee Dubya, you know you have been quite instrumental to make it the success it has so far been... so stop flattering me and take your credit :).
I even got a G3 connection activated within 30 minutes on a Friday evening just for mentioning you, or whom they thought you were :D.

... J-D.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Enjoy Your Food!

...Certainly, most expats do not grow their own food.
They would if they knew about the contents of pesticides and herbizides in local produce.
Remember there's practically no checking and consumer protection.
There was an article in a newspaper the other day reporting about the rejection of agricultural products from DR which were to be exported to the US:
El Nuevo Diario

Janin

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Well Gee Dubya, you know you have been quite instrumental to make it the success it has so far been... so stop flattering me and take your credit :).
I even got a G3 connection activated within 30 minutes on a Friday evening just for mentioning you, or whom they thought you were :D.

... J-D.
It's ALL in the mind J.D. .........all in the MIND!! Keep truckin' there Brother!! ~ Grahame.
(just for a second 'off topic' - I think the yellow tomato came as a result of Lambada's humorous thread on her non ripening tomato. That was just a giggle thread we were all enjoying being stupid on!!) GWB!!

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Actually, I am not yet quite as laid back as I try to appear, but that's one of the reasons I came here.... to become more like it, and no better place to learn it quick or die trying than La Isla de las Maravillas, verdad? :)

In that sentence, for those who can see its significance, is another reason for your success. The humility of self awareness spreads over to one's dealings with everyone else. That plus your previous experience as an expat and your fluent Spanish.

But please don't encourage other new residents to mention Bushbaby's name around town. Fine if they're like you, but if they're the other sort we'll be getting Delegations Of Complaint................:laugh::laugh: