Closest place to get a pre-paid GSM SIM..

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
I'll be at the Bavaro Princess...anyone know the closest place to get a pre-paid SIM card for my cell phone?

Here is an idea for someone who is enterprising: sell sim cards on the beach instead of timeshares :)

Feb 7, 2007
I'll be at the Bavaro Princess...anyone know the closest place to get a pre-paid SIM card for my cell phone?

Here is an idea for someone who is enterprising: sell sim cards on the beach instead of timeshares :)

I am sure there are people selling refill cards...

To sell actual SIM kit, is a different story though.

To activate anew prepaid SIM account, you need to enter lots of data into a computer, take copy of passport, fax it to the main office in Santo Domingo, and do lots of things... it's not like you get an activated SIM card off the plastic kit... so your idea is a NO GO.

Sharkyitis

Aug 2, 2007
Can you tell me how these SIM cards work? Do you use your current cell phone? Can I use my cell phone from Canada?

Feb 7, 2007
If your cellphone is GSM based it has a SIM card (a smart card).

If your phone is "unlocked" any SIM card can be inserted (SIM card is basically a network provider's chip that enables the phone to communicate with the provider's network). So if you are in the DR you insert a GSM SIM card from a provider here and you can use the phone the same way as a local would.

When the phone is "unlocked", any provider's SIM card can be inserted. If it is locked, it is locked to the specific provider's SIM card and if you enter another provider's SIM card, you usuelaly get a message along "INCORRECT SIM".

You can usually unlock the phone by asking your provider to give you the unlock code. Eventually, it can be unlocked in any cell repair shop in the DR for a small fee (cell repair shops are plenty). Having your phone unlocked is advantageous because you will then be able to use it in any country that has GSM providers and byu local provider's SIM card and call for local rates.

These are the GSM operators in Canada (if you are customer of either one of them, your phone is GSM phone with SIM card, but please, double check with your cellphone provider).

ICE Wireless
Microcell-Fido
Rogers Wireless

You can activate GSM SIM card from Orange here in the DR for 10 dollars, including 3 dollars call credit.