Buying a Car... which one?

Feb 7, 2007
If you can put these models in the order of preference YOU would buy, it would certainly help me in the decision process. All cars are about the same price range.

Mitsubishi Galant 2002
Chrysler Sebring 2001
Honda Civic 2003 (from Japan)
Honda Accord 2002
Nissan Sentra 2002
all other cars are from USA

This would be mainly for some mid-and-long-distance driving (almost no city use, I have my passola).

Please consider the following when making the rankings:

- Parts cost/availability new-used
- Mechanical history
- Comfort
- General reliability
- 2-years Resale value

Thank you so much!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Honda is a very trusted brand here... maybe only topped by Toyota.
Lots'a Mitsubishi's here, but I hear mixed reports about their reliablility... but parts must be available, unless it's an exotic model (*).
Nissan is also a good brand, but Santo Domingo Motors has a very tight policy about which models they sell and thus keeps parts from... mostly models which are designed for the Latin American and Asian market only. So, be careful about imported models made exclusively for very developed countries with high octane and very clean gas etc (this is true for many brands actually *) they may not perform well here, parts maybe scarce and knowledge about the technology limited!

The Chrysler... can you spell "foggitaboutit"? They are not even good in the States :cheeky:.

... J-D.

A

apostropheman

i would agree with J-D and personally have a close look at the accord..but the civic may also be good and better on gas too. just not as luxurious.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NONE OF THE ABOVE!

Toyota

If pushed: Honda Accord if in perfect condition.

HB

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Toyota/Lexus - number ONE (must be without salvage history and not abused by unskilled mechanics, low quality gasoline and poor roads) - RAV4, Corolla, Camry, Matrix, Highlander (both V6 and 4), 4RUNNER (V6 only), Landcruiser, LX470, ES300 (350 if newer), Echo (if entry level is needed) (RX300 - is not good for DR, suspension is weak and soft)

Close second - Honda -Accord, Civic, CR-V and Nissan Pathfinder (Infinity QX4 if money is not issue)
(Infinity FX35 and FX45 , Nissan Murano- excellent city vehicles, but not for DR)

Among others very solid cars are- Subaru -Forester (best true independent all wheel drive of all vehicles, but exterior looks outdated), Legacy,
Pontiac Vibe (same car as Matrix but with better look) and $2000 cheaper,
Mitsibishi Outlander (V6).
Mazda Protege.
Nissan Sentra. Older Maxima is reliable too, but not made any longer. Altima up to 2002 (not allowed to DR due to age restriction).

4x4 is needed for snow mostly, so for DR SUV 4x2 is adequate, but must have high road clearence.

Montero/Pajero, Vitara/Grand Vitara, Santa FE, Sportage , Explorer, Gr Cherokee/Liberty , Escape, Wrangler, Isuzu, Blazer,Navigator, Escalade,Rodeo- do not touch even with 7 feet pole.

Among Europeos -- Audi A4 quattro, Jetta (2.0 non turbo) - reliability 3+, others - worse.

Safety wise - Volvo XC70 Cross Country (4x4 SW)- #1 by far.

XC90 (SUV) - endless mechanical problems.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
WOW! That is a really good read out on what works and what doesn't.

I can agree with a lot of it, too....However, (there is always a 'however' )the Trail Blazer is pretty good, and Isuzu's are known for their good engines.

If you ever want to be really "free to travel about the country" please get a 4 x 4, since there are some truly "interesting" places that require this feature.

For example, Robert (DR1Robert) wrote about a trip they took from Jiman? down to Pedernales by the "back road" ....
From Constanza to Padre de las Casas.
From Jarabacoa to Julia Alvarez' coffee farm
From Las Matas de Farfan to Dajab?n
From Villa Elisa to Punta Rucia--if raining at all
From Punta Rucia to anywhere--if raining...

I wish I knew more about the East...

HB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
....Among others very solid cars are- Subaru -Forester (best true independent all wheel drive of all vehicles, but exterior looks outdated)...

I can vouch for that. Drove one for 2+ years in Santiago and north coast area. Was a couple of years old, incredibly reliable, spacious, good visibility in all directions, comfortable on bad roads, good ground clearnace, hauls 5 with no problem (from experience you can squeeze in 7 for short distances) and stable at highway speeds.

Suspension is amazing & that's major because you can't help but occasionally hit a big hole at fairly high speeds. And not a single rattle in the car after it was 4/5 years old. All wheel drive, too.

Sexy, no - but a very solid car. Had the brakes worked on a couple of times, but I think that was mostly due to travelling the old Carretera Turistica every week (brakes get a work out). It also has some of the highest safety standard ratings of any SUV-like vehicle.

That said - I'm looking for a CR-V now ;)

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
My reasoning for the japanes cars is:

The type used to conquer the european market is good with few problems. I've sticked to this rule and have driven years with old cars from these types without problems. Now i'm driving a relative young volvo s40 with lots of problems

greetings

Johan

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
WOW! That is a really good read out on what works and what doesn't.

I can agree with a lot of it, too....However, (there is always a 'however' )the Trail Blazer is pretty good, and Isuzu's are known for their good engines.

If you ever want to be really "free to travel about the country" please get a 4 x 4, since there are some truly "interesting" places that require this feature.

For example, Robert (DR1Robert) wrote about a trip they took from Jiman? down to Pedernales by the "back road" ....
From Constanza to Padre de las Casas.
From Jarabacoa to Julia Alvarez' coffee farm
From Las Matas de Farfan to Dajab?n
From Villa Elisa to Punta Rucia--if raining at all
From Punta Rucia to anywhere--if raining...

I wish I knew more about the East...

HB

correct! for trips like this 4x4 is s good thing. for majority of regular daily commuters - not necessary. Just waste of money, as 4x4 RAV4 for instance is $2000-$3000 more expensive than same car 4x2. And also an additional source of mechanical problems and repair.

The above insight is a result of eight years in car export business to various countries with various conditions. Based on feed back from buyers. Including in DR.
Not getting into technical details, the above info is more than enough for a regular consumer to take an educated and informed decision.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There are certainly places to go in the DR where a 4WD is necessary, but how often are you going to go there? On one of my vacations I had planned to take one of the roads HB mentioned; from Constanza South through San Juan de Ochoa. I used my customary economy car for most of the trip and then switched off to a 4WD SUV for the couple of days I would need it. I ended up encountering a 95 pound detour which took me in another direction, but I think my concept was still sound. Rather than pay more up front and ongoing for gas, why not get what suits your day to day needs most effeciently and if you need a 4WD for an adventure you can rent it for a couple of days.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The "camioneta doble cabina" is a real hit !!! Nissan or Toyota... 4x2 is good enough, the most basic the better... Diesel of course !

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Did you consider these additional factors?

The roads are often bad and you will need somthing that can cross just about any ditch or pot-hole. And if the roads are washed out, you need something that can just keep going. And yes, don't forget about those pesky people who often come out into the roadway to sell you things at the intersection traffic lights. This should do it..... ;)

OT64_skot_for_sale032.jpg

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
OT64. (BRDM)

A bit outdated but still acceptable for Calle Clisante after a big rain.

The roads are often bad and you will need somthing that can cross just about any ditch or pot-hole. And if the roads are washed out, you need something that can just keep going. And yes, don't forget about those pesky people who often come out into the roadway to sell you things at the intersection traffic lights. This should do it..... ;)

OT64_skot_for_sale032.jpg

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
And yes, don't forget about those pesky people who often come out into the roadway to sell you things at the intersection traffic lights. This should do it..... ;)