Major Fraud Alert!!!!!!!!

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
While in Cabarete last week, I used my cash card in the cash machines at Banco Popular and Banco BHD. Apparently, one of them was rigged with a card reader of some kind. I just received notification from my bank that there has been several dozen cash withdrawals in the last couple days as well as dozens of attempted purchases. I am headed to my bank right now to sign a fraud complaint. I'm hopeing that we will be able to identify which bank my info was stolen at and I will post this info as it comes available. I had no idea that this sort of thing was possible. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
While in Cabarete last week, I used my cash card in the cash machines at Banco Popular and Banco BHD. Apparently, one of them was rigged with a card reader of some kind. I just received notification from my bank that there has been several dozen cash withdrawals in the last couple days as well as dozens of attempted purchases. I am headed to my bank right now to sign a fraud complaint. I'm hopeing that we will be able to identify which bank my info was stolen at and I will post this info as it comes available. I had no idea that this sort of thing was possible. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

Yes my bank in the UK has been investigating similar problems I had, its taking time, the first response was I had taken the money but Im fighting them as my card will only allow me to take a max of 10,000 pesos per day, and the illegal transactions were doubled up showing I had taken 2 transactions per day for 10,000 pesos each, up to 12 duplicates. I am waiting to see which ATM machines are involved.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Some Are Staffed by Crooks

... I had no idea that this sort of thing was possible.
You could have by reading DR1.
ATM's are not safe in this country and banks are neither or only to a certain extent.

Janin

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My UK debit card was cloned back last November at the ATM in Cabarete on a Sunday lunchtime... guy left the machine and stood back whilst my husband went to withdraw and the machine said "no" - he then returned to the machine.... we remember him well as he had his arm in plaster but we went down the road and withdrew funds elsewhere. I didn't realise the scam for a few days and by the time I did they had taken the equivalent of over $3400 from my account, at a rate of approx $600 per day in various small amounts. Fortunately my UK bank, Halifax plc, refunded the money to me along with the transaction costs but it certainly taught me a lesson. We learned later that what they do is insert a plastic film into the slot where the card goes and that then copies both the card and the pin number as you type it in, hence it will not let you withdraw the funds for your transaction but enables them to utilise your full details at other ATM's. One piece of advice I received is to always run your finger along the slot before inserting your card - this should enable you to identify whether any other piece of rogue plastic has been inserted.

My UK bank also advised me that exactly the same thing happened at a machine in my home town of Paignton, Devon the same week and they managed to clone 50+ cards before it was discovered so this scam is, by no means, restricted to any one place... it can happen anywhere.

Last edited:

Kevyboy

May 12, 2005
THis happens everywhere. There was big news report in Canada a year ago about this. A crew of prople were driving around to bank machines and placing fake parts on the machines to read your card info. they were also installing cameras to read you inputting the PIN number. They would get a slap on the wrist well you would go through hell getting the bank to recover your money.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
"....insert a plastic film into the slot where the card goes and that then copies both the card and the pin number as you type it in....."

This is not clear to me, how do they read your PIN as you type. Could you clear it up please (if you know exactly what happens). The plastic film in the slot to read the card perhaps works (although I can't think of the technology - magnetic strip vs plastic !? must be a magnetic film of some sort), but PIN number is typed on the machinie...

"...they were also installing cameras to read you inputting the PIN number..."

This is the norm, to avoid this always learn to type your PIN number without seeng the keypad, cover your typing hand with the other hand and then type the PIN (it's only a 3x3 keypad so it should be easy). Also no one behind you can see it either.

A.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I never used and will never use cash machines in the D.R. There is always or almost always a few strange guys around the atm machines. Just don't like that.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My UK debit card was cloned back last November at the ATM in Cabarete on a Sunday lunchtime... guy left the machine and stood back whilst my husband went to withdraw and the machine said "no" - he then returned to the machine.... we remember him well as he had his arm in plaster but we went down the road and withdrew funds elsewhere. I didn't realise the scam for a few days and by the time I did they had taken the equivalent of over $3400 from my account, at a rate of approx $600 per day in various small amounts. Fortunately my UK bank, Halifax plc, refunded the money to me along with the transaction costs but it certainly taught me a lesson. We learned later that what they do is insert a plastic film into the slot where the card goes and that then copies both the card and the pin number as you type it in, hence it will not let you withdraw the funds for your transaction but enables them to utilise your full details at other ATM's. One piece of advice I received is to always run your finger along the slot before inserting your card - this should enable you to identify whether any other piece of rogue plastic has been inserted.

My UK bank also advised me that exactly the same thing happened at a machine in my home town of Paignton, Devon the same week and they managed to clone 50+ cards before it was discovered so this scam is, by no means, restricted to any one place... it can happen anywhere.

While yes, it can clone your card but NOT read your pin (the pin is not on your card).
To get your pin they actually have to spy on you personally or with cameras while you dial your pin.

The mob had to learn the hard way that they had to hold their hand in front of their mouths when talking to each other because the Fed had developed a habit of using lip-readers with goggles when they couldn't record a conversation. I do the same when dialing pins and dial blindly under my left hand.

... J-D.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
"

This is not clear to me, how do they read your PIN as you type. Could you clear it up please (if you know exactly what happens).
A.

I cannot supply you with the technical details but am assured that it is all copied onto that film in some way - whatever, they can use your card details and withdraw money willynilly until you discover it on your statements

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Or if the keypad is clean when you walk up, using a UV light or some such device to determine which keys were pressed should be relatively easy. Once you have the 3 or 4 keys used to type in the pin there are a small number of combinations that can be tried easily one by one until one of them works.

I have never been taken at an ATM and it is because I never use my main CC's in an ATM. I use a special debit card and I only keep enough money in that account for a week or so of groceries and petty cash.

That way even if my card is compromised I am only exposed for a couple hundred bucks.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
So, here's the deal.......

........on Wed. the 25th, I made a withdrawal at BHD. On Sun the 29th at 7:10 pm, I made a withdrawal at Banco Popular on the west end of Cabarete. Two hours later, the frenzy began. From that evening through Aug 2nd, there were over 80 attemped and/or successful withdrawals or purchases. In retrospect, I recall that the machine at Banco Popular had an unusual resistance to getting the card inserted. I proceeded with the transaction with no problem and then I left. I guess the evidence points pretty much in one direction. This really sucks.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I cannot supply you with the technical details but am assured that it is all copied onto that film in some way - whatever, they can use your card details and withdraw money willynilly until you discover it on your statements
Actually, my bank caught the unusual activity and alerted me.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
........on Wed. the 25th, I made a withdrawal at BHD. On Sun the 29th at 7:10 pm, I made a withdrawal at Banco Popular on the west end of Cabarete. Two hours later, the frenzy began. From that evening through Aug 2nd, there were over 80 attemped and/or successful withdrawals or purchases. In retrospect, I recall that the machine at Banco Popular had an unusual resistance to getting the card inserted. I proceeded with the transaction with no problem and then I left. I guess the evidence points pretty much in one direction. This really sucks.

Did both your attempts to draw money prove successful? Ours didn't but we used the same card minutes later at another ATM in Cabarete and got our pesos. However, subsequently we only had money stolen via ATM transactions as, as they did not have the physical card, they were unable to make purchases in stores but presumably, in your case, they could make purchases on line????

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Did both your attempts to draw money prove successful? Ours didn't but we used the same card minutes later at another ATM in Cabarete and got our pesos. However, subsequently we only had money stolen via ATM transactions as, as they did not have the physical card, they were unable to make purchases in stores but presumably, in your case, they could make purchases on line????

Only if they'd also had the matching billing address and (recently in most cases) the (printed only) CV code on the back of your card. On the other hand, they wouldn't even need to scan the card... the numbers and exp. date and name(s) would be sufficient... most of which can be found on a credit card statement (except for the CV code) which many carelessly throw in the garbage!!
Short, not likely.

Again... the pin is not on your card.

The finger print theory could be viable though... but it's an easy one to blur once you know it... dial all numbers first before starting the transaction.

... J-D.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
That's an even better reason for to use a PAYPAL debit card to take out money, and just transfer the money into the account as needed from my regular checking.

tambo'

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
That Tape Thang

The tape thing btw does not scan... it's much simpler than that. Your card get's stuck. Somebody waiting in line will offer to help as they seem to find you desperate banging on or arguing with the machine. Eventually they will try to talk you into trying to dial the PIN again (as this may help :))... so they see your PIN. The scam is usually plaid evenings or on weekends when the bank is closed. As nothing seems to help, they tell you that you will have to come back the next working day to ask the bank to retrieve your card... and you walk away. The scammer comes back, and as he has your card attached to his tape, may be able to pull it out... remember, he may also have seen you dial you PIN... shop 'till you drop!

The scanning devices are placed in front of the actual card slot... it looks absolutely like an integral part of the ATM.
When ever you get to an ATM, physically check if any part of the slot seem to be superposed or attached and can come off! If so, try an other ATM.

Last but no least, somebody inside the bank is having too much fun.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You could have by reading DR1. Janin

There have been threads on DR1 for years about this. There have been reports in the Dominican press. Likewise there have been newspaper reports in every country in the world where this also happens. Plus on the web there are numerous articles about the different types of ATM frauds: skimming, shoulder surfing and card trapping. I really find it hard to believe that people don't know about this.