Let's hope we never need blood!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have been hearing of a number of incidents where people have been hospitalized and needed blood transfusions only to be told that the required blood is not available in the blood bank.... this is worrying, to say the least, should we need an urgent tranfusion (God forbid!). Advice has been to know a number of people with the same blood type who would be willing to donate in an 'hour of need'. Would it make sense for a some of us to share blood group information and contact details? Would welcome others thoughts on this topic....

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I take it that you are talking about the availability of blood in the DR. Does the DR take proactive steps to ensure that there is a sufficient supply of blood on hand for contengencies? - I don't live there, but I wonder if there is a mechanism to reach the masses of the population to have blood drive.

Where I live to include where I work, several companies and government agencies (Federal, State, and local) routinely have blood drives to support the blood bank. Infact, many of the agencies challange eachother to support the local blood banks. I know that things that work here are not always practical in the DR. I just hope that things are not that bad.

:bored:

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
What about blood screening?

I have to admit, I haven't thought about this at all and it's obviously time I did. But, even if there is blood available, can we be assured that it has undergone the necessary screening?

Also, whilst my first thought was that it seems a good idea to share blood information etc, how can we be sure that in our 'hour of need' we don't accept blood from somebody with HIV for example..... We may all be 'buddies' on here, but that doesn't mean we can trust each other's sexual histories.

Does anybody have anymore information on 'blood banks' as they exist in the DR?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I take it that you are talking about the availability of blood in the DR. Does the DR take proactive steps to ensure that there is a sufficient supply of blood on hand for contengencies? - I don't live there, but I wonder if there is a mechanism to reach the masses of the population to have blood drive.

Where I live to include where I work, several companies and government agencies (Federal, State, and local) routinely have blood drives to support the blood bank. Infact, many of the agencies challange eachother to support the local blood banks. I know that things that work here are not always practical in the DR. I just hope that things are not that bad.

:bored:

Yes, in England also. People go regularly to donate blood to the blood banks so it is available when it is needed.... my concern is that when it has been needed here it has not been available and I mean O Positive, not some rare blood group!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have to admit, I haven't thought about this at all and it's obviously time I did. But, even if there is blood available, can we be assured that it has undergone the necessary screening?

Also, whilst my first thought was that it seems a good idea to share blood information etc, how can we be sure that in our 'hour of need' we don't accept blood from somebody with HIV for example..... We may all be 'buddies' on here, but that doesn't mean we can trust each other's sexual histories.

Does anybody have anymore information on 'blood banks' as they exist in the DR?

Better 'the devil know than the devil you don't know' - maybe lol!! Would also like to know the procedure for storing and screening blood here - anyone?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
In order to have an Autologous Blood Program (the donation of your own blood with the intent to receive it back at the time of your surgery) there must first be an organized blood collection program with the ability and desire to oversee the autologous blood program.

I'm not informed enough about blood collection in the DR to make a comment about this but perhaps others can.

Here's an intewresting site with lots of info:

Autologous Blood Donation Basics - BloodBook, Blood Information for Life

Gregg

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
In order to have an Autologous Blood Program (the donation of your own blood with the intent to receive it back at the time of your surgery) there must first be an organized blood collection program with the ability and desire to oversee the autologous blood program.

I'm not informed enough about blood collection in the DR to make a comment about this but perhaps others can.

Here's an intewresting site with lots of info:

Autologous Blood Donation Basics - BloodBook, Blood Information for Life

Gregg

Interesting reading but does it really solve our problem?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Interesting reading but does it really solve our problem?

Solve - no.

Give you a tool to see if the infrastructure is there for you to use - yes.

Did you really expect a poster from Canada to answer what it seems you (being situated in the DR) can't? Not likely. You will have to determine if the infrastructure and the will are there to set up an Autologous Blood Program if one doesn't already exist (I'm betting it doesn't but I reserve the right to be wrong).

Good luck.

Gregg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are several private blood banks and the Dominican Red Cross has regular drives. At least in Santiago.
Like any place else there are certain, rare types that are always in scarce supply. O- for example..

Thing is to know where to find it if you need it.

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I rarely disagree with any advice you give HB but I am not talking about availability in Santiago and I am referring to the common blood of O positive - is it available if needed?

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Don't laugh, but Remo de Orbe, from Remolacha.net makes blood drives all the time and they have been quite successful. Whenever you need blood just send him an email and he will post it on his blog. As you may already know, remolacha.net is one of the most visited internet portals by dominicans so you have the chance that a lot of people can go to the clinic and help you....and they have helped a lot people already. He just posts your blood type and people will go to the clinic.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I rarely disagree with any advice you give HB but I am not talking about availability in Santiago and I am referring to the common blood of O positive - is it available if needed?

Thanks darlin'! I'm O Neg.....but as long as there's enough blood for all you 'commoners' then I'll just go and......well.......die I suppose! :cheeky:

Seriously, nobody's mentioned anything about screening yet. Does anybody have any info on that. I think we're all aware that there's a high percentage of people here carrying HIV so whilst the blood drives are welcomed, if they're not screened properly people could be taking a huge gamble.

Last edited:

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
screening is done in Santiago. I have always donated blood since I have family i n the medical field and have been ask to do that for those that cant afford to buy blood. Here in Santiago if you have an emergency you can always buy blood.
De tras del Hopital hay un private blood Bank ruin by Dr. Liriano, Also I know Unio Medica has a blood bank

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A few years ago a friend of the family was sick and his relatives (one of whom is a well-connected doctor himself) were rushing around the city frantically trying to get blood. I don't think a rare blood group was the issue, it was just that there was no blood available.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Yes things Like that happen here. I get calls from my aunt couple times a month. She is a nurse in a Cabral looking to see if I can donate blood or if any of the guys in my office are willing. We have BB but that does not mean they have blood all the time. Since there are not that many BB blood is a very rare commodity.
Lets make a DR! blood drive nad give it to the Red Cross. we can make regular ones too to ensure that we do our part.
You can count on me, I ll even help recruit people.

lewpo

Jul 29, 2007
vacation insurance

On my last trip an amigo of mine who lives now in the DR voiced his concern about medical emergences . My advice to him was to look into joining D.A.N. thats Divers Alert Network . What it is in effect is evacuation insurance if a diver catches the bends(decompression sickness) to the nearest decom chamber . In recent years they have expanded coverage to include non diving emergencies. I would think that if he joined under a US address and called the assist line from the DR they would evacuate accordingly.Now please dont contact D.A.N. and pursue that line of questioning in reguard to expats ,:bandit::bandit:i'm sure they would close the loophole if they considered it that. So what do you think? feedback welcomed

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
On my last trip an amigo of mine who lives now in the DR voiced his concern about medical emergences . My advice to him was to look into joining D.A.N. thats Divers Alert Network . What it is in effect is evacuation insurance if a diver catches the bends(decompression sickness) to the nearest decom chamber . In recent years they have expanded coverage to include non diving emergencies. I would think that if he joined under a US address and called the assist line from the DR they would evacuate accordingly.Now please dont contact D.A.N. and pursue that line of questioning in reguard to expats ,:bandit::bandit:i'm sure they would close the loophole if they considered it that. So what do you think? feedback welcomed

Thank you for the advice but firstly, we live here full time and secondly, we hail from UK so I fail to see the relevance to us in any way.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The suggestion has been raised at the recent meeting with the British Ambassador that local communities could get together with lists of blood groups from people who were willing to donate. This knowledge would allow people from the local community to support there fellow members in thier time of need.
Anybody interesred !!