Barrio chicos....

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
So I am going to start this thread by saying, that I am playing devil's advocate here and am fully aware that I might be eaten alive for it, but what heck : )

This post is really about social-economic differences. Don't any of you think that it is possible to meet a nice guy, from a little campo/barrio, that is really honest and not a "sankie"? That he might be limited in terms of language, education, social status only because of his economic situation.

That perhaps, he really is a kind, gentle persona with loads of integrity ?

DR is not like the US or Canada, where there is a McDonald's or 7/11 on every other corner, where one can easily gain employment ?

In the DR if you are from a lil' barrio pobre, what options are really out there for you in terms of gainful employment ?

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation and any thoughts ???

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Of course not every Dominican is a sankie and if you read sankies for dummies and the other articles you should learn to tell the signs and red flags but most people don't want to see them.

Come on most people can see the difference between a hard working man with pride and one that has no pride is coming along for the ride. And if you can't tell the difference then we get to hear the sad endings.

Poor doesn't spell sankie but fast moving and ending up with a confused mind is a good hint.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I agree with Anna

Yes, every Dominican man regardless of education and wealth status does not end up as Sankie.... But despite the lack of job opportunities in the DR and the fact that that not many have and $$ - - I wonder how and why these guys choose this "Profession"

:confused:

CAREER_PATHWAYS_wide_copy.jpg

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
I probably need new eyes....

From all th reading I have been doing on this forum religiously....and often, what I see is the recurring theme of pobre being associated with SANKIES and taking advantage of people.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
From all th reading I have been doing on this forum religiously....and often, what I see is the recurring theme of pobre being associated with SANKIES and taking advantage of people.

Perhaps, you may - - - -But I for one would like to READ the results and comments...... I just want to know;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Actually what you read here most of the time is that people fell in love on their first trip with the first person that smiled at them and said something nice. Most people never get out and meet the Dominicans outside a resort that can be either rich or poor and are not out to use and abuse tourist.

Don't mistake being a womanizer with being a sankie it's totally two different things. A sankie is a scam artist, a womanizer only wants to get into every good looking woman's pants and that is the extent of the scam. ;)

Ok I really need to get out and warm up now.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Remember, here you see dominicans through a filter. You only meet people who are out looking to meet you. Good responsible dominicans arent out cruising the streets looking to pick up tourists. They have their own friends already, and only are interested in meeting "good" girls or serious men.

I dont mean this to be offensive, but i want people to THINK:

for you gringas, what dominican man would be looking for some overweight, middle aged gringa? Only one who wants money, or no dominican woman will put up with his antics. He can easily go with some 18-25 year old hottie who he can actually communicate with.

For you gringos, These girls are looking for money,security and a serious man. It doesnt mean they are serious about you. They will say and do anything to improve there lives. They would love to have a long distance relationship with some guy who sends them money every month. As a tourist, you have barely a chance in hell to meet a "good" girl here. They are either already taken, in university, or building a career.

Superion

Jun 26, 2007
Remember, here you see dominicans through a filter. You only meet people who are out looking to meet you. Good responsible dominicans arent out cruising the streets looking to pick up tourists. They have their own friends already, and only are interested in meeting "good" girls or serious men.

I dont mean this to be offensive, but i want people to THINK:

for you gringas, what dominican man would be looking for some overweight, middle aged gringa? Only one who wants money, or no dominican woman will put up with his antics. He can easily go with some 18-25 year old hottie who he can actually communicate with.

For you gringos, These girls are looking for money,security and a serious man. It doesnt mean they are serious about you. They will say and do anything to improve there lives. They would love to have a long distance relationship with some guy who sends them money every month. As a tourist, you have barely a chance in hell to meet a "good" girl here. They are either already taken, in university, or building a career.

Wow, it seems as though someone has been taking thier "haterade" today.

Why so bitter sjh? Or maybe you consider yourself a realist.

Nonetheless.....

Though much of what you say is truth, there ARE many gringos/gringas in successful relationships with Dominicans. So please don't try to water down this fact.

With that said, it's quite difficult to maintain a good relationship with a Dominican from a long distance unless one spends LOTS of time on ground when they actually are in the DR.

In general,long distance relationships are too stressful in my opinion.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
There are good Dominicans in every city. However, they don't work in poorly paid animation jobs. They are educated and have trades. They date Dominicans, not insecure tourists. Barrios have a mixture of social levels. Barrio means a place where people live. Not all are poor who live in them. My family lives in a barrio and runs a successful small scale restaurant. The parents are married and raise their children with high mpral standards.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
SJH is hundred percent right. All new-comers should copy and save his post. he lives here 24/7 so he knows what he is talking about.
Now someone mentioned there are plenty of expats who are in successful relationships. maybe but have you seen with whom they are having a successful relationship? majority of them are simply glad to have found a woman with 2 legs or women who have found a jobless slimy tigre who lives off her income. The ones who are in really successful marriages are not your average tourists or sosua senior citizen expat. These guys who have married a real domincian are the ones who live here 24/7, away from tourist traps and have learned to integrate in to the culture, learned the language and the norms of the society.
AZB

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Superion

I am not bitter, i am telling you like it is. Read some of AZBs old posts. he has been writing the truth on this stuff for years.

I am married 12 years to a dominican who i met and married in the US. I live here in the Dominican community for 4+ years. I have many many dominican friends and employees who i count on. We all sit watch and laugh at the silly fools falling in love with the local con man or tramp.

Read carefully what i write: I am not saying that there are not lots of great dominicans. I am saying a tourist visiting here has NO chance of meeting them. The wont talk to you or socialize with you. The only people who will are those who are looking for something from you.

I know of dozens of cases right here in my little town. Examples: retired women living with and supporting much younger man who is a known cattle thief and con man. At least 5 cases of women who have a man out of country supporting them here while they have boyfriends back here. Women who have been hooking since they were 14 years old set up as a little princess for rich gringos. Men who make a part time living talking up girls at resorts while they have a wife and several kids back home.

One of my favorites: This 20 something guy starts dating this 50 plus year old fat rich lady. How does he do it? he gets really drunk first then he imagines how he is going to spend all her money on his hot dominican girl friends when he is finished.

The dominican republic has a class system and visitors are really only exposed to the lowest classes only. The middle and upperclasses have little interest or time to waste chasing around dreamy eyed tourists. Most of them would consider it shameful/slutty to be seen walking around with a tourist in public.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
The dominican republic has a class system and visitors are really only exposed to the lowest classes only. The middle and upperclasses have little interest or time to waste chasing around dreamy eyed tourists. Most of them would consider it shameful/slutty to be seen walking around with a tourist in public.

What are you talking about???? Dominicans are ones of the nicest and friendliest people on earth. There are normal people living there (not those "uptight" ones who think they are better than everyone else) who estimate people for who they are - and not divide them into "tourists" and "natives." If you, while there as a tourist or for work, show real, true and genuine interest in them, their country, life and culture - they can become your best friends and will not try to get anything out of you. Yes, a lot of tourists who come there only come for the beach or other entertainment, they have no interest in anything and look down on the natives. It is not polite. That is why a lot of them get conned.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What are you talking about???? Dominicans are ones of the nicest and friendliest people on earth. There are normal people living there (not those "uptight" ones who think they are better than everyone else) who estimate people for who they are - and not divide them into "tourists" and "natives." If you, while there as a tourist or for work, show real, true and genuine interest in them, their country, life and culture - they can become your best friends and will not try to get anything out of you.

You got all this on your one trip there right ? :laugh:

Read what he is saying again, he lives there, he runs a school there, he's married to a Dominican. You are miss understanding the point ;) made

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
You got all this on your one trip there right ? :laugh:

Read what he is saying again, he lives there, he runs a school there, he's married to a Dominican. ;) I think he might know a little more than you and I.

I was there twice. There is no reason for them to say that Dominicans cannot be genuinely nice and friendly with tourists. It is simply not true. It would make all these great people I met there look like con artists and I don't want this to happen.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
The Friendly Ones

... There is no reason for them to say that Dominicans cannot be genuinly nice and friendly with tourists.

Nobody said that.

Janin

P.S.:
"Wer ficken will, muss freundlich sein." :cheeky:
(German saying...) :cheeky:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Nobody said that.

Janin

P.S.:
"Wer ficken will, muss freundlich sein." :cheeky:
(German saying...) :cheeky:

Has m'frog changed his user name or what? Or you are here fulfilling his duty while he is on vacation? Not everyone who travels to the DR goes there for the same reason and not all Dominicans are the same either. There are people with morals and values out there despite of what anyone says on this site.