Corruption is a way of life! (Daily News-DR1.com).

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Lack of follow-through hurts system
The Foundation for Institutionalism and Justice (FINJUS) finds it deplorable that corruption in the DR continues to go unpunished in the judicial system and warns that it is weakening the institutions that are meant to support and uphold democracy. FINJUS vice president Servio Tulio Castanos Guzman says that Dominicans continue to doubt whether or not democratic institutionalism actually exists in the DR. He expressed concern at the fact that a crisis surrounding the credibility of the justice system has developed and says that the effects of corruption have become part of the national agenda.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I guess Fernandez feels differently. Per the DR1.com news:

Fernandez supports Subero​
Last night President Leonel Fernandez said that in the last ten years the DR has gone from a judicial system where defendants could buy favorable sentences to a justice system that is reliable, honorable and honest. Fernandez says that the country is perceived as serious and trustworthy with institutions that are credible due to the increased strength of the justice system. The President added that there has been a real revolution within the democratic spectrum since 1997. Fernandez's support for Chief Justice Subero Isa comes after Subero and Attorney General Radhames Jimenez spent much of the week blaming each other for deficiencies in the country's judicial system and the ineffectual fight against corruption. Yesterday Jimenez suggested a meeting with Subero to discuss ways of fighting corruption, considering that both are at the top of the judicial system.
Director of the Department for the Persecution of Administrative Corruption (formerly DEPRECO) Octavio Lister tried to add some positive spin to the public disagreement. Quoted in El Caribe, Lister says that it was not so much an argument, as a divergence in criteria or positions.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
JDJones

1.You would be advised to learn to read. 2. then, to learn to ascertain the differences between: reporting the news, personal experiences, requests for help, questions, etc.. Possibly, your intention is character assassination?:glasses:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
1.You would be advised to learn to read. 2. then, to learn to ascertain the differences between: reporting the news, personal experiences, requests for help, questions, etc.. Possibly, your intention is character assassination?:glasses:

I am really dumfounded sometimes by the attitudes of one DR1er to another. Is not this website set up for people to help each other rather than criticise and abuse?

I am also interested to know how many posters on this site actually live in the DR..... bet it isn't that many

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Papabenito,

Would it really hurt you a lot to sit down and start a thread with something positive? Just once????

You are without a doubt the most negative person I have ever run across.

I guess you're not familiar with the frothings of one gary short who was recently kicked to the curb.

There is a man who set the bar high for being a miserable so and so. He came off the starting blocks in his first month as a member fighting with and insulting moderators.

Papa Benito writes about things that he has observed and that have happened to him. This thread was started with a direct quote from DR1 news.

PB does not own and I would guess never has and never will own rose colored glasses. That pi_sses some people off. Others find it refreshing.

PB, you rock!

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Celt is right on!

He always puts things in perspective.He's a funny bastard too!:cheeky:

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
He always puts things in perspective.He's a funny bastard too!:cheeky:

I agree. Always negative?? No, I believe it is almost the opposite. A lot of peolple here on DR1 do not want anybody to write how it works here. Their real estate might loose value...

Still Dr is nice, climate etc etc that is why we live here, but to say that there is not much corruption, the PN and Amet works for the people etc etc... That is Bull****

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Pue' mira que si y no.......

I am really dumfounded sometimes by the attitudes of one DR1er to another. Is not this website set up for people to help each other rather than criticise and abuse?
Don't be so quick to try and "beat the living hell" out of JDJones.

I know exactly what he is talking about.

I will take my buddy Rocky's word and think that Papa' Benito is a nice guy BUUUUUUTTTTTT:

It seems that ALLLLL(well, maybe MOST) of his posts/threads are about something negative!!.

Granted, he may want to help some members here see the reality and to warn them that indeed the DR is NOT the paradise we all think it is but on the same token, and on this thread, he is NOT saying anything that a true Dominican lover, foreigner or not, doesn't know.

SOme of the "problems" he writes about, the robberies, the gun fights, the Government, EVERYTHING is/are things that have plagued the DR FOR GENERATIONS!!.

Ok, maybe they happen more now, but they have been happening for a very long time and whomever says that they truly love the DR, should also know it's history and ANYTHING negative about the DR it's writting in two types of books: 1- The history books and 2- the Dominican people minds.

We are not blind, we see what's going on, I, for, one, do NOT need someone to remind me about every change he gets as I am already aware.

Ps: JDJones, I DO understand wheee you are coming from and don't let ANYBODY tell you NOT to express your opinion, whether we agree with it or NOT!.

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
There is crime in every country.

I'm sticking by celt on this one.He's a poster along with Cris Colon and Rocky who always tell it like it is,good or bad,but they are realistic at the same time.I've learned more about the real DR from these posters than anyone on this board.There are other great posters but these guys are always right on in my opinion.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Character assassination?? Never in a million years, my friend, and you have my apologies if I've offended you.

My point was, anyone who reads your past posts (68), virtually every one is negative. You don't have anything good to say about anyone or anything. Why in the world do you come here? Are you that miserable in person?

I'm betting you're not.

Try writing something positive just once. C'mon, I know you can do it!!
PB...
JD's right about all your posts focusing on the ugly things.
Couldn't you tell us a happy story?
One of your girlfriends, perhaps?
A nice country ride?

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Bueno. todo el mundo esta entitle to their opinion. I have invited several friend from different part of the world to join us DR1. together with all our negative and positive post we make DR1 better. If PB post things that might be consider negative to some well is our job the optimist to counter attack and post the positive side of things Like what was done regarding Leonel.
We are living in a developing country with lots of negative things happening is our job to report it to the world but also to report the reason why we are still here i nthis beautifully island. so is a balance attach on what will need to change in order for this to be a better place to leave
personally i enjoy post from from DR1 that are about positive nature but I do feel that I am a minority in that aspect. vamos bien lets keep up the good work
Albin

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Is corruption here really that bad?

You speed a bit on an empty higway without creating any danger for anybody.

You got stopped by a cop , you give him $10 and go further.

In a country "without corruption" you cannot give any money to a cop, but instead you got a ticket for $150 plus insurance increase for three years $300 a year. In total you pay $150 to police (but through mail) and $900 to your insurance company.

($10 vs $1050)

Same thing with parking and many other similar events.

In a "non-corrupted" country you park your car for 5 minutes to pick-up your prescription drug, when you are back there is a $120 ticket on your windshield.

In a "corrupted" country you give $5 to a cop and go.

Is really living in a "not corrupted" country is much BETTER than in "corrupted" one?

Last edited:

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
There have to be some people on the board to keep things in prrspective ,to many people are allways painting a rosy picture and they don't live here" as the saying goes,walk a mile in my shoes before you talk.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Is corruption here really that bad?

You speed a bit on an empty higway without creating any danger for anybody.

You got stopped by a cop , you give him $10 and go further.

In a country "without corruption" you cannot give any money to a cop, but instead you got a ticket for $150 plus insurance increase for three years $300 a year. In total you pay $150 to police (but through mail) and $900 to your insurance company.

($10 vs $1050)

Same thing with parking and many other similar events.

In a "non-corrupted" country you park your car for 5 minutes to pick-up your prescription drug, when you are back there is a $120 ticket on your windshield.

In a "corrupted" country you give $5 to a cop and go.

Is really living in a "not corrupted" country is much BETTER than in "corrupted" one?

Depends, if you're on the wrong end of the corruption, lets say a motoconcho hit your car while it was parked and he died, and you get sued for causing unlawful death and lose because the motoconcho driver's attorney knows how to bribe the judge, then corruption will sing a different tune in your ear.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
LET US STOP TRAVELING TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC EVERY CHRISMAST AND PUNISH THOSE THAT MAKE A PROFIT FROM OUR HARD WORK. SO WHAT IF WE STOP GOING THERE FOR A FEW YEARS TO SHOW THOSE THAT FEED ON US THAT WE CAN CHANGE THINGS THERE. YES HOUR FAMILY WILL MISS US BUT WE CAN TELL THEM ABOUT MAKING SACRIFICE FOR A BETTER FUTURE. YES I AM MAD.

As selfish as it sounds I think you're right. The international needs to join forces and bring this country to shreds to see if it can regenerate itself and change the hearts of the monsters that rule it.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
As selfish as it sounds I think you're right. The international needs to join forces and bring this country to shreds to see if it can regenerate itself and change the hearts of the monsters that rule it.

Is that a new organization? Please send us their web link. Thanks in advance.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is that a new organization? Please send us their web link. Thanks in advance.
I am guessing that Funnyyale meant to say,
Originally Posted by Funnyyale26
As selfish as it sounds I think you're right. The international (community) needs to join forces and bring (tear) this country to shreds to see if it can regenerate itself and change the hearts of the monsters that (who) rule it.
Needless to say, I have heard better suggestions.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Hey Rocky I'm disappointed. I thought Funnyyale was on to something....;)

Last edited: