Read this Book! It's a must for Newbies!

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I've just read a book called 'Quisqueya - Mad dogs and English couple' by Ginnie Bedggood. It's just been published and I would thoroughly recommend it as required reading by anybody thinking of relocating to the DR.

It tells the true story of an English couple relocating to Puerto Plata 14 yrs ago and the trials and tribulations they've experienced during the course of their time here. The story is told with humour and a true love and affection for the Dominican people. I hate to use the world 'delightful' because it's such a cliche, but it is delightful! It's a really enjoyable and uplifting read. However, along with that I also found it very informative and will definitely keep it to hand as a reference book with regard to building regs, buying property, prison/appeal system, overview of the way things work here etc.

The stories in the book range from the search for employment and real experience of living on a 'Dominican' salary, to running a B&B from a wooden 'gingerbread' house in the centre of Puerto Plata, and from aiding and assisting a friend who was incarcerated for 14 months to ultimately building a house against all advice. So you can be assured that this book is never going to be boring! I read it in 2 nights when the kids were in bed!

I also found it a lesson in humility, because it made me think about the Dominican people and their lives here and who they are, and where they're 'coming from' so to speak. I'd already come a long way in my (nearly...) first year here in terms of having more patience and understanding for the culture here, but I felt that the book helped to impart something that I hadn't yet felt......a real warmth and affection for the people here and the way they go about things. I was widely travelled when I moved here having trekked through leech infested waters in Borneo, backpacked around Thailand and trekked the Inca Trail in Peru, amongst other things, so I felt sufficiently prepared to move to the DR - WRONG! Living in a different country fulltime is a completely different 'ballgame' and I've had lots of lessons to learn here.

I've received many well meaning gestures from Dominican people, but sometimes the 'suspicion' that we're all taught to feel for any well meaning gesture from a 'native' here rules out the acceptance that would normally come naturally. I guess I'm more trusting that most, but there are times when I know that I have missed out on a genuine Dominican friendship through mistrust or (to be honest) laziness because I'm still learning Spanish and 'can't be bothered' to spend the time trying to communicate...... This book will certainly remain in my mind when I come up against these situations in future......

Throughout the book Ginnie Bedggood and Grahame Bush exhibit a remarkable tolerance, fondness and loyalty for all things Dominican. I can't say that my reactions would have been the same about certain things (motorbikes and noise in the living room at their first abode, no water coming out of the taps in their first rented house, wages not being received on time, the 'burning hot' electric pole outside their wooden house, the 'nearly' knife fight outside the same house, etc etc).

The thing that interests me, flicking through the book again is that this same story could have been written as such a completely different tale if experienced through other eyes. It's down to their humility, humour, tenacity and 'grit' and true love for the DR that makes it a 'delightful' story. To many people it could have been a book of 'doom' about why it didn't work out and about the pitfalls of living here but in Ginnie's hands it's a book of hope for all people looking to 'branch out' and experience new lives and other cultures. I feel that the book wraps the 'heart and soul' of the DR and lots of relocation advice all into one very enjoyable read which I know I shall keep referring to.

Last edited:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Sounds like a most informative read and obviously provides a lot of food for thought for anyone entertaining the idea of relocating to the DR.

Thanks for your well-written account of the book, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks to Lambada and BushBaby for writing it!!!!
Here on the board many of us have benefitted from their 'sage' advice!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I ordered my copy a week or so ago and can't wait for it to arrive. Congratulations Ginnie!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Would it be possible to post some excepts from this book so we could get a feel for it?

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Further info.....

The book has been published in the UK by Best Books (Best Books Online) but can be ordered through Amazon UK & Canada as far as I'm aware and I think reviews have been posted on those sites.

Further info and contact details can also be obtained at Ginnie's website.(Ginnie Bedggood - book author, writer, expat Dominican Republic).

British expat have also written a review (British Expat: Book Reviews: Quisqueya)

I'm afraid I've already lent the book to somebody else already!.....so I can't post any excerpts from it at present. Perhaps somebody else has a copy and may be able to oblige.

As has already been mentioned, Ginnie also posts on this site as 'Lambada' so if all else fails, I'm sure a private message won't go amiss.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
"Must Read"

I finished the book and my wife is still reading it. This is a "Must Read" for people who have just moved to the DR, are as we are, planning to move in the near future or just travel there and want to know best to avoid a sankie.
It's a shame that Amazon.com doesn't yet have it available in the states. I ordered it from bestbooksonline.co.uk in the UK and got it in a little over a week. From the time it arrived I didn't put it down until I finished reading it. I do admit that it has rained a lot in Tampa this past week cancelling my daily golf, but I might just have taken it with me to read as I played.
Ginnie, this just increases the admiration that Delores and I have for you and Grahame. Thank you for masterfully sharing your life.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Sorry Robert. It wasn't intended to be a sales 'pitch'. I just finished reading the book and wanted to let people know how good I thought it was and to write a review on it. I thought it was a great book to make known to potential relocators.

When the publishing information was requested, I just posted all the info that I had to assist people in finding out more about the book and the author. Please be aware that I have no financial interest in the publication of this book and that Ginnie doesn't even currently know that I've posted a review on here. Of course I'd be happy for her if it increased sales of her book, but she'll no doubt be embarrassed if she thinks that there's been any attempt to try and obtain 'free' advertising on her behalf! I apologise if I've 'overstepped' any boundaries.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Regarding the book.

I have read it and thought about it.

It is well written, witty and very clear. If there were to be a "must-read-before-moving-to-the-DR", then this is it. (Along with Tim's wonderful posting a few years ago.)

Ginnie Beddgood is an educated writer that does not bore her readers with deep introspections of things Dominican, but just tells her story (and Grahame's ) is a very English way. For the American or Canadian reader, there are a couple of spots where you'll say: "Humm, I wonder what that means"?

However, none of her idiom can hide the affection felt for the country or her hilarious and not-so-hilarious experiences. there is plenty of wise advice in the book, but it is never in a "must do this or must do that" manner.

Good read.

HB

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I'm off to buy the book. Love Ginnie and Grahame. They have helped me in the past and have earned pipe tobacco and chocolate biscuits in exchange. They are very good people.

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
Must just say I have only met Ginnie and Grahame once, great people.
So its ok to advertise a book, but not certain restaurant links; i.e Britannia Bar Sosua, which I found very informative, as I live in Cabarete and dont get to Sosua very often.
Whats the difference, its all DR related,,,,,,,,,,,,,,No?????????

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The DR1 has always allowed a genuine third party review on books, restaurants, roads, car rental agencies, hotels, etc., etc. It is the spam we don't like.