looking for a 32 in flat panel tv

mspattya

Oct 2, 2006
Does anyone know where I can get a tv of this size? I have looked in pop but they have very small flat panels. any guess on what the price might be and where I might find one.
thanks

Feb 7, 2007
Probably in Santo Domingo
Megacentro, Jumbo, Americana, Conforama, plaza Lama
those are your best bets

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
Expect to pay about 3 to 4 times the price you would in the US for the same. Last I checked they were about $3,000 US for a 32 inch LCD TV.

Also, they are not recommended to be used on an inverter system unless the inverter is a sine wave inverter.

32 inch at national wholesale liquidators in hasbrook heights, NJ $499.00

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
sine wave inverter

Expect to pay about 3 to 4 times the price you would in the US for the same. Last I checked they were about $3,000 US for a 32 inch LCD TV.

Also, they are not recommended to be used on an inverter system unless the inverter is a sine wave inverter.

Can you tell me more about this ? im also looking for good deals. Im almost sure that will pay a florida shipping company ... but whats up with that sine wave inverter .. in the DR thats the basic electrical back up ...

they might get ruin with a electrical shut down or ... ??

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I think flat panel TVs are a classic example of an item you would want to consider bringing in yourself from a "first world" market. You might have to size down just a bit from 32" to get it into a legal sized bag. If you know anyone trustworthy who is coming down, you could buy one online and have it delivered to them. I guess also send them the money to pay customs if they get "cought". It would still probably save over the prices in the DR.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Use a puerta a puerta agency. Call one of them ask them how much they charge. If reasonable, buy it in US and have it delivered to them and in one month you will have it on your doorstep.

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I am going to bring a LCD to back to the Dominican. Do you think I should check it or carry it on? Not sure if it will fit in a carry on and I am worried that if I check it, it might get damaged.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am going to bring a LCD to back to the Dominican. Do you think I should check it or carry it on? Not sure if it will fit in a carry on and I am worried that if I check it, it might get damaged.

It must be a really small Dominican to fit in a suitcase!

tambo'

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
TV as baggage

I shipped a 32 inch last year to Santiago from DC as baggage on AA. Shipped in original carton from Best Buy as 1 suitcase allocation. Arrived just fine and after 2 days in customs and about $700 US has been up and running fine.

Was in COSTCO in Arlington VA today and copied a few prices for your information.

Viso 37. $760
Sony 32 $950
Sharp 32 $800
Viso 47 $1600
Viso 32 $ 600
Samsung 67 $2800
Panasonic 58 $2300
Sharp 52 $2800
Philips 42 $ 1400
Sony 40 $1400
Viso 50 $1400

r
Jimmy

dwnddindr

Jun 12, 2007
Pricesmart

I purchased a 32 lcd from Pricesmart in Santiago due to the fact that bringing a large screen tv on the airplanes are not very much accepted anymore. Also I didn't want to have to worry about somehow damaging the unit in transit as the warranty would be null and void once the unit leaves the US and even if the warranty would be still valid I would then have to find a way to ship the unit back to the US and then receive it again here in the DR trying to once again avoid the "darme algo por eso" line. Pricesmart offers a one year warranty on the unit and so far I haven't had any problems. The tv cost me 34,000 pesos which is a little more than buying in the US, but for less headaches and stress and more security I was willing to pay the extra couple of dollars.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
..... The solution is to get a true sine wave inverter for at least your power sensitive items. These are also made by Xantrex and others, but are much more expensive for similar power outputs than the "modified" sine wave inverters.

I recently bought a Tripp Lite SU1000xla double conversion pure sine wave inverter. Double conversion means it is ALWAYS running. This one is 800 watts, lots of power to run your special items such as an LCD TV.

Total cost including shipping it here via Business Mail was $500.
A lot cheaper than going the pure sine wave whole house inverter system.

I run the computer, router. modem, Skype phone, Security system, security cameras, 15" LCD monitor/TV, two satellite receivers, weather station, and a Digital Video Recorder 24/7 and use less than 50% of the Inverter's capacity according to it?s power gauge.

Great thing about the Inverter is that there is -ZERO- transfer time, nothing goes down anymore (Such as the router, modem and Skype phone). The Tripp Lite Inverter runs off the Trace Inverter, so it really does not hardly use the built in 24 vdc battery, it also has external connections for a 24 vdc battery, so it could in theory be connected to my Trace inverter batteries.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
$700!!!????

I shipped a 32 inch last year to Santiago from DC as baggage on AA. Shipped in original carton from Best Buy as 1 suitcase allocation. Arrived just fine and after 2 days in customs and about $700 US has been up and running fine.

r
Jimmy

$700 in custom fees for a tv in your luggage? What happened to tipping the guy $10???

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I recently bought a Tripp Lite SU1000xla double conversion pure sine wave inverter. Double conversion means it is ALWAYS running. This one is 800 watts, lots of power to run your special items such as an LCD TV.

Total cost including shipping it here via Business Mail was $500.
A lot cheaper than going the pure sine wave whole house inverter system.

I run the computer, router. modem, Skype phone, Security system, security cameras, 15" LCD monitor/TV, two satellite receivers, weather station, and a Digital Video Recorder 24/7 and use less than 50% of the Inverter's capacity according to it?s power gauge.

Great thing about the Inverter is that there is -ZERO- transfer time, nothing goes down anymore (Such as the router, modem and Skype phone). The Tripp Lite Inverter runs off the Trace Inverter, so it really does not hardly use the built in 24 vdc battery, it also has external connections for a 24 vdc battery, so it could in theory be connected to my Trace inverter batteries.

Santiago DR-

I will be buying 3 lcd tvs for my new house, and would like to get one of those fancy inverters. Where did you buy it?

Also, you mention a DVR. Pardon my ignorance, but I assume that is in conjunction with a satellite system. Is that true hi def?

Thanks - D

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
For those that actually want to watch HD signals on their HD compatible flat screen TVs, just coming out now are FTA hi def satellite receivers. I imagine some of them will eventually have hard disk recorders built in.

See:

HD FTA Receivers

I have digital cable in NY. Are you saying that current satellite receivers are not true HD? - D

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Santiago DR-

I will be buying 3 lcd tvs for my new house, and would like to get one of those fancy inverters. Where did you buy it?

Also, you mention a DVR. Pardon my ignorance, but I assume that is in conjunction with a satellite system. Is that true hi def?

Thanks - D

I use the DVR to record my security cameras 24/7.

I bought my Tripp Lite SU100xla via the Internet from TechOnWeb and had it shipped to the DR via Business Mail. The price including shipping to the USA was $383. Another $117 to get it to the DR (The inverter weighs 33 lbs). As long as the total wattage of the 3 LCD TV's are under 800 watts it should work fine, probably have to do some fancy wiring to get all three connected as they would most likely be in different rooms.

Ref. HD on Satellite TV:

If you are talking FTA Dish, it is my understanding that you will not get HD.
No FTA receiver can currently decode their system (BEV yes, Dish No).

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I use the DVR to record my security cameras 24/7.

If you are talking FTA Dish, it is my understanding that you will not get HD.
No FTA receiver can currently decode their system (BEV yes, Dish No).

Well, it's certainly cheaper to get non HD plazmas and lcd's if HD is not in the near future. What's you opinion about the eta of HD in the DR? - D