Curfew Extended in Cabarete/Puerto Plata?

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Just read on Dominican Today that a pilot program to extend the curfew for 1 hour in Cabarete/Puerto Plata, is in place.

Does anyone from those towns have any information?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Cabarete bars were open until 3 a.m. last night.

Word is that last minute negotiations led to businesses actually going to be open until 3 a.m. every night of the week. We'll see.

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
The report in El Nacional says that, the police offer it to be open till 4 am and the bars owner only want it one hour extra, now if this work in Cabarete they will start it in Santo Domingo

tgood1

Jan 1, 2005
What is with the Puerto Plata reference? Or are they confused and mean Cabarete in Puerto Plata province? Any word on Sosua?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Caberete only.. And there is backlash....some people are saying why only Cabarete and not the Zona Colonial where army troops with machineguns close up the place at 12:00

Problem is, the law is a good one for 95% of the population...less DUIs, less alcohol related accidents, fewer alcohol inspired fights and such....

Remember, moderation, much like maintenance is not usually part of the Dominican vocabulary....

Try this: Invite a bunch of Dominicans to your house for a party. Make sure you have more than enough rum, and when time comes to end the party, say at 1:00 in the morning, watch how several will try to take a bottle of rum or a half full bottle of rum with them. I have seen it too many times to count. just a fact of life here in the DR....SO the law is a good one. Screw the bar owners and the breweries!!

HB

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Hillbilly, Do you think that the curfew is working? - Is it really good for the towns? - - - I have heard both sides of the aisle, but since you are one of the more respected members of DR1, then I would love to hear your opinion and what you have to say about the curfew in SD.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
As rumored last Friday, closing has been 3 a.m. every night.

I have a difficult time seeing any significant negatives. More income for businesses and their employees, more tax revenue generated, and tourists can get a few more hours of enjoyment out of their vacation day while deciding for themselves when they want to go back to their rooms.

Win, win, win, win.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I think the original newsreport was misleading. It is only Cabarete as the starting point and the extension was supposed to be one extra hour per night.

Puerto Plata has regular hours no change here.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Planner,
Not sure if you were questioning my post - closing time has been 3 a.m. every night since last Friday. A last minute deal was struck.

Some of the news reports stated the businesses were offered more, but decided to only take 1 hour. Ultimately, they seem to have settled on 3 a.m. seven nights a week. I guess we'll see how well (and for how long) it goes.

I'm not one to stay out that late normally. 2 a.m. on weekends was find with me - but midnight even I found to be too early on weeknights. For a town whose entire economy revolves around the tourist industry - perhaps it makes some sense to make an exception. I suspect most all-inclusives on the island cover more acreage than 'downtown' cabarete.

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
My analysis: the curfew in tourist areas outsie Cabare the will be eventually relaxed too.

dr1 Travel News, ..
Surveillance cameras for tourism areas?
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Tourism Minister Felix Jimenez has called for the installation of surveillance cameras in parts of Santo Domingo?s Colonial City, the Malecon seafront avenue and tourist areas in Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete, Las Terrenas, Las Galeras, Juan Dolio and Punta Cana. He said that surveillance cameras would enhance security in these areas, and then the time limits for the sale of alcoholic beverages could be lifted. He proposed that the Ministry would pay for half of the cost, and local businesses would cover the other half. Speaking during an American Chamber of Commerce luncheon in Puerto Plata, he said that if tourists want to drink all night long, they should be allowed to do so.
[/FONT]

There's the marketing pitch for it: pay 50% for some new camaras and we'll relax your operation hours.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
There's the marketing pitch for it: pay 50% for some new camaras and we'll relax your operation hours.

If that was all the businesses had to pay to get the longer hours, I'm sure they'd be thrilled! ;)