Thread: mail

The Way Life Should Be...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mail

I did do a search, I did.

Here is the situation.

I don't get a lot of mail. Most is junk. Stuff people might send, like cards, they know where I am and hopefully will not waste money sending it to me. However, there are a few items of mail I would like. My sister is collecting it and I am sure can send me a box every few months. Like when my tax stuff comes in, I need that.

So in a nutshell, not a high priority need, but would like to get the mail every few months.

DHL is what I keep thinking, but would appreciate any feedback from other people living outside STQ, STI, POP....

Also can I give my sister my street address or DHL office address here?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You probably didn't use the key words 'Xmail' or 'Business Mail' in your search. Try those (both based in Puerto Plata, Santiago & Santo Domingo)! Sosua has it's own similar service as I recall but can not remember the name of! ! Grahame.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sosua Mail

Grahame:EPS out of Miami is what you were referencing

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but I live east of Puerto Plata. Do I have to go to collect mail?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

MaineGirl, in your neck of the woods I don't know if there is mail that can be delivered. The DR1 posters use one of the following companies usually:
    EPS
    Business Mail or
    Xmail

You need to set up an account with one of these. They open a 'box' for you in Miami. You send your mail to Miami and they bring it to either Puerto Plata or Sosua (EPS) for you. There, I believe, you have to collect. I have experience with both EPS and Business Mail but not with Xmail.

It is a safe way to deal with mail but it costs a little. You can also send stuff to the US again through this method.

Hope this helps and hope you did not know this already.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an idea of this but having it spelled out really helps. Thank you.

I think there is a DHL office in my town though so I am going to explore more on a package of mail getting sent.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.xmailsa.com/contactenos.html is the link I found to xmail for future reference.

FWIW I emailed them and got an error message back, too.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaineGirl View Post
    I think there is a DHL office in my town though so I am going to explore more on a package of mail getting sent.
    Check out the cost of a DHL package. It may be that this is in the region of US$30 for a simple letter. DHL or UPS or Fedex or any of the courier services is probably the most expensive way to deal with mail.

Post Thanks / Like

Mail Service in the Dominican Republic

I sent these guys a mail, too.

Yes, I think DHL will be too expensive. But will go check anyway. I really don't have much mail to worry about but my family in Maine is antsy that I get a "real" way to send mail.