Credit Card Surcharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickthegreek

Jul 31, 2007
I am planning a 10 day first-time trip to the North Coast in Feb. Just received this info from a well-regarded hotel:
"To make a reservation, we need a Visa or Master card number ......... in
case of ?No Show? we will have to charge you the full amount. We suggest
that you pay with traveler?s checks or cash upon your arrival, this way you
will avoid a surcharge of 26%".
Do many hotels, restaurants, etc stick turistas with credit card surcharges ... especially so ridiculously high? Glad this hotel told me about their policy, so it can't be pure larceny.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
It is the legal obligation of all businesses to pay 26% tax on income. However few do. Big hotels are one of the few.
I do not agree with the "pay in full" policy though . That sounds pretty sketchy.
Which Hotel is that?

nickthegreek

Jul 31, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Good info! However, if I can save 26% by paying with a traveler's check I think it sounds like a good deal. Maybe cash transactions don't lead to tax audits like credit cards do .... and with that in mind I think I'll not mention the hotel name.;)

Sep 19, 2005
Thanks for the reply. Good info! However, if I can save 26% by paying with a traveler's check I think it sounds like a good deal. Maybe cash transactions don't lead to tax audits like credit cards do .... and with that in mind I think I'll not mention the hotel name.;)

the hotel didnt know YOU, but they had no problem telling a complete stranger over the phone that they wont charge you the 26% tax if you pay in cash!!!!!!!!!!so why wouldnt you mention the hotel??

that may be ITBIS and the worker gratutity tax...16% plus 10%...

I find it hard to believe they wouldnt try to charge you...even if you did pay in cash...

I have been to one hotel about 5 times and I have paid with cash at times and with a credit card at other times... the fee was the same...

good luck

bob

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
They're probably asking for payment in full due to high season. Same with it not being reimbursable. As for the 26%, as stated before it's the 16%+10% for sure. Legally that's what they have to charge you and pass on in their reports, extra officially they're probably not paying it...

sosuaman

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 27, 2006
wouldn't give my credit card number(s) to anyone in the dominican,,,
cash only por favor,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.