wedding in puerto plata

johnny_linda

Aug 5, 2007
Hi Everyone, we need your help, i am a canadian woman marrying a dominican man in puerto plata on March 19, 2008 and am having trouble in getting some information from various resorts. We are planning on having a church cermony with our reception being held at a local resort. There will be approx. 10-15 people flying from canada and about 10-15 people from the dominican attending our wedding. I have tried to e-mail various resorts but have not heard back from one. Our guests from canada will be saying on one of the resort for approx. 1 week and our guests from the domincian will be staying at least one or two nights each. If anyone can give us some suggestions, comments, tips we would be so grateful. Thanking everyone in advance for your time. Linda & Johnny

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Hi Everyone, we need your help, i am a canadian woman marrying a dominican man in puerto plata on March 19, 2008 and am having trouble in getting some information from various resorts. We are planning on having a church cermony with our reception being held at a local resort. There will be approx. 10-15 people flying from canada and about 10-15 people from the dominican attending our wedding. I have tried to e-mail various resorts but have not heard back from one. Our guests from canada will be saying on one of the resort for approx. 1 week and our guests from the domincian will be staying at least one or two nights each. If anyone can give us some suggestions, comments, tips we would be so grateful. Thanking everyone in advance for your time. Linda & Johnny

Many Dominican businesses are not yet very e-business savy. You will need to find phone numbers and call them individually. Many of the AI's are chain operations and their reservation offices are not on site.
Since you are looking for a special booking you want to ask immediately for a supervisor or special event manager.

I don't know if you have already set your mind on a particular hotel. One of the most prestigious places around Puerto Plata, in my personal opinion is the Costa Dorada Iberostar. You will find their web site searching the Internet as well as others in Playa Dorada which also offers some ideal settings for a wedding.
You will need to negotiate a good rate (and you should get a special one, since you will be a fairly large group). Most hotels offer have wedding specials and like to arrange for "the whole nine yards", but I can't say if it's a financially advantageous way to go. In any case you want more than just the complimentary bottle of champagne and fruit basket in your room!

I wish you good luck with both, your wedding and your marriage.

... J-D.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
In person?? Visit?? Family??

I think that if possible you should visit POP in person, inspect the various hotels & negotiate face to face.
* Can your husband to be's family do some of the leg work; they may get better prices?
* If not, Sun Village, Playa Cofresi [Canadian] & Hacienda Hotel [German], also Playa Cofresi, are foreign owned & partially foreign operated; they may be more responsive.
* try www.livio.com; you an visit all the hotels in the DR from 1 site.
Good fortune. Be patient.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I know folks that have used Apple Vacations from America as their travel agent and they also coordinate weddings with the resort of your choice. I do not have first hand knowledge of the cost or the actual task at hand, only that I know Apple Vacations will take care of the wedding package for you.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Your Canadian group will most likely be booking via a tour operator. Almost all of them have wedding packages for sale. If you get enough guests attending then you will receive either cut rates or a free wedding. Then you will need to arrange - in advance - for your local guests.

Depending on the hotel that might be an issue. I live and work in PUerto Plata and I am familiar with most of the hotels and what they offer. Feel free to PM or email me directly.

Also consider having a nice wedding reception outside a hotel. I have a friend getting married here in August and the reception is being held at Playa Dorada Golf Course. THey have a lovely facility, great food and good pricing....

daisyone

Aug 16, 2003
Linda & Johnny,
I've used 'Liberty Travel' and 'Cheap Carribean' in the past for trips to Puerta Plata and have gotten great rates for Sun Village Resort.
Daisy