5 star, 1000 room hotel to be built Barahona

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In Canoa, on the outside of Barahona towards the East. Built around sulphur water springs. Thus the wellness focus. This project is a success of the Barahona Tourism Cluster.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Thanks for your responses

Canoa is one of the poorest towns in the Barahona province, I didn't know it had sulphur water springs; I'm so glad Barahona's tourism is finally taking off, I'm sure this means that the airport will be open to commercial flights

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Looks like this is shaping up to be compete with Cancun and othe major resorts in the Carribean. Good for the economy!

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
A thousand rooms? Doesn't that strike anyone as a little bit excessive??

I think it's a great area, the sulpher springs are toooo cool, and I love the area, but a thousand rooms??

Now if you told me it was a small 40-50 room hotel, OK, that would be better, IMHO.

I can see it now, walking through an abandoned lobby, Kenny G musik coming through the PA system, fans turning......... "Hello! Hello?"

As a matter of fact, I'm going to take the better half there this weekend, so she can see how beautiful the area is, before this monster is built..(said in a loving way)

Hate to admit it but you're right, even though I don't think they would make this kind of investment without the proper market research, I think it would be marketed as a health spa and golfing destination more than anything , but I do agree that 1000 rooms is a bit excessive for a pilot project in an undeveloped area, especially Canoa, I would've never dreamed of this kind of project in this area.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hold on a bit! It seems that our Minister of Tourism is mixed up in this and has signed an agreement with the French company for a 99 year lease on the land (shades of Hong Kong and Panama Canal!!!) and expropriating the 2500 tas. (800 acres) from about 50 campesino families who will receive an absurd amount for the land they are working. The Agrarian Reform will have to have a voice in this and so will the Congress.

The money works out to something like RD$33 pesos per tarea per year!! for the campesinos!!! Highway robbery.

Oh, these guys are so slick.....

HB

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
You know the same thing is going to happen in Cuba when the current leader moves on..... a shame, a real shame! :ermm:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I put some photos of Canoa's sulphur spring on my blog a couple of months ago: http://www.dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=Chiri&e_id=3538

Thanks for the pictures, I've passed there hundreds of time and didn't know about them. I've been to the ones near Neyba and Lago Enriquillo which are considerable larger, but the one in the picture is very small, I'm sure there must be a lot of them or at least plenty of underground springs where they can tap into and build the spas and waterfalls they mention.

Hillbilly, that amount seems pretty small even for campesinos, this is a banana rich soil and these campesinos, even if they are not rich they still make some good money from their banana fields. According to this article from Dominican Today: http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=24990 they will pay US$350,000 to 52 landowners for 180,000 sq m (aprox 286 tareas), meaning that they will each get 40,384 pesos per tarea or 407.93 per year for 99 years. It is still very little but the promise of a bright future seems to have some weight also. I just hope that these camplesinos will be relocated and given jobs at the new resort.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
..with the French company for a 99 year lease on the land (shades of Hong Kong and Panama Canal!!!) ..

HB

I believe their Italian, or at least its expert geologist and president , Dr. Roberto Chertoni, is, ...

ACQUE MINERALI E TERMALI
Idrogeologia e opere di captazione - Gestione della risorsa idrica
[SIZE=-1]Roberto Chetoni[/SIZE]

Machine English version:

Translated version of http://www.acquesotterranee.com/minerali.html

Translated version of http://www.acquesotterranee.com/chetoni.html

www.comune.montecatini-terme.pt.it/servizi/gestionedocumentale/visualizzadocumento.aspx?ID=1928

Health tourism is one of the fatest growing sectors of the industry, so a 1000 rooms complex combine with other major supplementary activities (golf, conventions etc,) and with the right uniqueness and people with the right skill set can be made to work.

Canoa, DR's on Sedona, Arizona ..lol

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for the pictures, I've passed there hundreds of time and didn't know about them. I've been to the ones near Neyba and Lago Enriquillo which are considerable larger, but the one in the picture is very small, I'm sure there must be a lot of them or at least plenty of underground springs where they can tap into and build the spas and waterfalls they mention.
When I was there the people I was with mentioned that there was one other spring, but said that although people from Canoa go there, it was on private land.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
y todavia se sorprenden que ese HDGP vendiera esas tierras a peso de vaca muerta, cuando esta despedazando al pais dandole concesiones a los grandes hoteleros Europeos, quienes ya han acabado con el pais?

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
y todavia se sorprenden que ese HDGP vendiera esas tierras a peso de vaca muerta, cuando esta despedazando al pais dandole concesiones a los grandes hoteleros Europeos, quienes ya han acabado con el pais?

And we all know his commission is probably 10 times larger than what he paid for all the land. Is there any way you can say no to the government when they want to buy your land? or bargain for a better price?

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
And we all know his commission is probably 10 times larger than what he paid for all the land. Is there any way you can say no to the government when they want to buy your land? or bargain for a better price?

I am not opposed to turism, but what is needed is sustainable turism...It hurts in my heart to see my country going downhill and not be able to do anything about it.

I am also eskeptical about the proyect, are there really that many sulphur springs in this area to build such a large complex? I am thinking that maybe they're going to have to build "artificial" pools, to complement for the few that are there? I heard that there are sulphur springs in Azua an Bani as well.

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
I agree with sustainable tourism. It is the way to go. Communities have to be involved with good orientation and leadership. They in the long run will understand and realize that their livelihood will depend on stewardship of these resources.

Feb 15, 2005
I am not opposed to turism, but what is needed is sustainable turism...It hurts in my heart to see my country going downhill and not be able to do anything about it.

I am also eskeptical about the proyect, are there really that many sulphur springs in this area to build such a large complex? I am thinking that maybe they're going to have to build "artificial" pools, to complement for the few that are there? I heard that there are sulphur springs in Azua an Bani as well.

Just to let you know that in Paraiso there are plans to begin a eco-luxury project called the River View Villas. All sustainable, with a reforestation phase at the end of the projects completion. Everything about the project is geared toward preservation and the hope is to be a model for developers in the southwest region. There are a number of international conservation groups highly anticipating the commencement of the River View Villas in Paraiso. What is needed is strong conservation groups to highlight the model for the protection of the most diversified region of the country. Barahona to Perdenales

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As much as I would like to see a large project like this come to fruition in an area that badly needs investment, I think this is just another one of those schemes to get something for almost nothing. At a minimum is an exaggeration...

This is just like the artificial island, the huge amount of money that was going to be invested in Manzanillo, etc...Believe it when I see it.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005

As you spill reflexive crap, it seems those that would be most affected by it - the locals - are actually in full support of it, ..

Bienes Nacionales y el IAD se pasaron dos a?os analizando con las 52 personas asentadas en la zona donde se construir? el Proyecto tur?stico termal Salamandra Canoa y la Marina del Cayo de Barahona, encabezado por el ge?logo y experto en hidrolog?a, Roberto Chetoni, italiano. .. en una carta enviada al presidente Leonel Fern?ndez el 30 de mayo de 2006 se confirma el apoyo de 35 organizaciones de esa comunidad a ese proyecto, entre los que figuran el Centro Universitario Regional (Curso), el Club Rotario de Barahona, el Consejo de Desarrollo Ecotur?stico de la provincia de Barahona, y la Di?cesis de Barahona.
Asimismo, el Plan Estrat?gico, Ayuntamiento Municipal, Sociedad Ecol?gica, Colegio M?dico Dominicano y Grupo Sur Caribe.
, la Sociedad Ecol?gica de Cabral, el Consorcio Ambiental Dominicano, el Codia, regional suroeste, la Universidad Cat?lica Tecnol?gica (UCATEBA); el Colegio y la Asociaci?n de Abogados, el Club de Leones, la Sociedad Ecol?gica y el Club de Regantes de Vicente Noble, entre otros.

El secretario de Turismo dijo que se van a invertir los US$500,000 del arrendamiento o concesi?n en la comunidad de Barahona, de los que RD$2.8 millones van para pagar las indemnizaciones, una segunda partida para pagar la deuda a Toro y una tercera parte al IAD en equipos, para ser usados por los agricultores de esa zona.
Indic? que solamente la Secretar?a de Turismo va a gastar US$4 millones (m?s de RD$130 millones) en la regeneraci?n de las playas de La Saladilla y la de San Rafael, en Barahona.
Considera que el desarrollo del proyecto tur?stico termal asimilar? en gran medida el desempleo de los municipios de Cabral, Tamayo, Vicente Noble, Bahoruco, y la provincia de Barahona, y motorizar? el comercio, la agricultura, y los servicios. ...

dr1 Travel News, ..

RD$25 billion tourist project
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]The Ministry of Tourism has announced the authorization for the construction of a five-star 1,000-room wellness resort in Canoa, Barahona. Complex will include 20 tennis courts for international championships, a 27 hole golf course, thermal spa pools, waterfalls, and a convention center. The thermal waters in Canoa reach temperatures of 38C. Tourism Minister Felix Jimenez and Roberto Chetoni, president of Sociedad Comercial Terma de la Salamandra made the announcement. Chetoni is an Italian expert on thermal spring waters. As part of the project, 2,300 acres (180,000 square meters) in Canoa, Barahona will be leased for 99 years, at the cost of US$850,000. Of this amount, the Ministry of Tourism will manage US$500,000 for infrastructure investments in the area and US$350,000 will be distributed to 52 farmers who live on lands where the hotel will be built. The lease contract still requires congressional approval. If it goes through, this will be the largest hotel in the southwest. As reported in the Listin Diario, Chetoni said that the thermal springs in Canoa would make the project the largest in the world. The project is a major achievement of the Barahona Tourism Cluster, that supported it through the approval stage. Julio Brache, president of the Cluster, said that the project will mark the turning point of the modernization of the the Barahona province. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
IMHO this project has to be supported. Anyone that knows the condition of the "forgotten" southwest knows that they need this project like a blood transfusion. This is the opportunity Barahona was waiting for to become a tourist destination, the airport has been abandoned for years waiting for tourists that never came.

Now they are talking about evaluating the possibility of using the mineral rich mud from Lago Enriquillo for therapeutic purpose, that really scares me.