Why don't Dominican/Americans go back?

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Why are young Dominicans who are born or have emigrated to the United States not taught to ever return to the Dominican Republic?

By returning I mean, taking advantage of study abroad/volunteering opportunities, internships, short-term work experience, or possibly a long term career (although salary difference comes into play here). Generally speaking, I feel like there is no encouragement for young Dominicans to return to the DR, except for vacation.

My mother is Dominican but I was born and raised in the U.S. After graduating college I told my family I would be moving to the DR because I thought there were more opportunities for me there. My Dominican family thought I was crazy and that I was wasting my U.S. education in a 3rd world country. Looking back on that decision more than a year later I realize it was the best decision I've made, professionally speaking. I feel like Dominican/Americans can do so much for their professional development, as well as the country, with fresh ideas and knowledge of both English and Spanish.

Perfect example: A couple months ago, the president of the Dominican American National Round Table, Victor Capellan, stopped by the DR1 offices. When he was posed the question as to what his organization was doing to encourage young Dominicans to take advantage of opportunities for them in the DR; there was a long silence with no response. I mean, Dominican organizations aren't even promoting Dominican/American participation in the DR.

I sometimes laugh at my cousins in Washington Heights who consider themselves full fledged Dominicans but know nothing about the country and have never even been here. So much could be done if more took the initiative to come back. I mean, in the U.S. I felt like another rat in the race, here I feel different, someone who took the road less traveled.

It would be great to hear some feedback on how others feel about this topic.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I am one of those Dominicans who love to visit, play my part in the traveling economy, leave and come back home to Jersey.

My reason: I have two kids and their father is NOT Dominican. This means that my kids will not be living in DR and thus I myself will not leave the States because of that. I want to be part of their lives now and forever. Their education and thereafter my grandkids and whatever they may need from me.

Why would I take my kids there and pay loads of money for the same education they can get here for free or at least with the help of the government in some way shape of form (I'm not talking about Welfare, but this also plays a big part in some other's lives when making this decision).

Too many parents leave their kids behind either in DR or in the States to chase their own dreams and never looking at how this really affects their families after all.

This idea is fine and good if you are looking to stablish yourself in DR and have your kids there. If you can afford to do so and are succesful at it, more power to you. Many unfortunately cannot afford to leave the dollars behind and count the monedas they get paid in DR.

BTW - I LOVE my country and if my kids were 100% Dominican, I'll be all over the idea of moving back!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I've thought about what you have written here. There are so many young high school kids and college kids that could be volunteering their time and gaining experience. There needs to be more connections from Dominican government officials or private companies to connect and encourage people abroad to volunteer their time to help out the needy. I have in mind to encourage my kids to do some kind of volunteering in the DR in a couple of years, it could be teaching English for e.g..

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Why are young Dominicans who are born or have emigrated to the United States not taught to ever return to the Dominican Republic?

By returning I mean, taking advantage of study abroad/volunteering opportunities, internships, short-term work experience, or possibly a long term career (although salary difference comes into play here). Generally speaking, I feel like there is no encouragement for young Dominicans to return to the DR, except for vacation.

My mother is Dominican but I was born and raised in the U.S. After graduating college I told my family I would be moving to the DR because I thought there were more opportunities for me there. My Dominican family thought I was crazy and that I was wasting my U.S. education in a 3rd world country. Looking back on that decision more than a year later I realize it was the best decision I've made, professionally speaking. I feel like Dominican/Americans can do so much for their professional development, as well as the country, with fresh ideas and knowledge of both English and Spanish.

Perfect example: A couple months ago, the president of the Dominican American National Round Table, Victor Capellan, stopped by the DR1 offices. When he was posed the question as to what his organization was doing to encourage young Dominicans to take advantage of opportunities for them in the DR; there was a long silence with no response. I mean, Dominican organizations aren't even promoting Dominican/American participation in the DR.

I sometimes laugh at my cousins in Washington Heights who consider themselves full fledged Dominicans but know nothing about the country and have never even been here. So much could be done if more took the initiative to come back. I mean, in the U.S. I felt like another rat in the race, here I feel different, someone who took the road less traveled.

It would be great to hear some feedback on how others feel about this topic.

I applaud you!!!! :classic::classic::classic::classic::classic:

Yes, more Dominicans SHOULD take this example...maybe if some more did, the DR would finally start on the road to recovery...again, my congratulations!!!!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
TJ - BTW I hope my post didnt come off as a negative spin on your comments. I do think that this is great and I do contribute in teaching my kids about DR and take them when I go. If I can encourage them to do something for the country somehow (like some of the suggestions given here) I'll def do so!

Also, taking the kids back is such an eye-opener for them. When my son goes there, he never touches his PSP or other video games. He says that the kids there dont need them so why even bother? (actually I had to explain that is not that they dont want to use them, is that they cant afford them) puts things in perspective when he wants me to buy everything showing on TV...

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
TJ - BTW I hope my post didnt come off as a negative spin on your comments. I do think that this is great and I do contribute in teaching my kids about DR and take them when I go. If I can encourage them to do something for the country somehow (like some of the suggestions given here) I'll def do so!

Also, taking the kids back is such an eye-opener for them. When my son goes there, he never touches his PSP or other video games. He says that the kids there dont need them so why even bother? (actually I had to explain that is not that they dont want to use them, is that they cant afford them) puts things in perspective when he wants me to buy everything showing on TV...

Your comments did not come off negative, and in any case, I am looking for feedback in general (negative or positive). I think you made a good point about your son as well. Coming to a poor country like the DR really helps one put things into perspective. I'm sure this will be a great lesson for him on appreciating what he has.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Hey TJ ? I took your advice and visited Jarabacoa when I was in DR last month. At the hotel that I stayed at was a large group from an organization called International Student Volunteers. It was a four-week trip where the students did volunteer work for 2 weeks and then traveled around the country for 2 weeks on organized tours.

Looking at the group I saw only American and English kids. I asked one of the leaders, who was a Dominican surfer type who lived in Cabarete, why there were no Dominican or Dominican Americans in the group volunteering. He said that volunteering is just not a big part of Dominican culture. I do not know why this is or what it will take to change this but as it is often talked about on DR1 a lot Dominicans are more interested when they return in impressing people on the island with expensive clothes, jewelry, cars ,etc.

Maybe you are starting a trend in a more positive direction.

I found the website of the group that I saw:

International Student Volunteers

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
Dominicanos who live and work in the USA or Europe are the BIGGEST contributors to the Dominican economy; they send money to their families and so on, the Dominican goverment IS NOT interested in having them come back there to work.

It sounds like a great idea I myself had consider this before, but I have a small child who's mom is NOT Dominican.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I second MAR's comment and think this is the only real way to bring the DR out of the stone ages with respect to it's current political system - the only real impediment to progress.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Dominicanos who live and work in the USA or Europe are the BIGGEST contributors to the Dominican economy; they send money to their families and so on, the Dominican goverment IS NOT interested in having them come back there to work.

It sounds like a great idea I myself had consider this before, but I have a small child who's mom is NOT Dominican.

I would be curious to see a breakdown of how those remittances are spent.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Hey TJ ? I took your advice and visited Jarabacoa when I was in DR last month. At the hotel that I stayed at was a large group from an organization called International Student Volunteers. It was a four-week trip where the students did volunteer work for 2 weeks and then traveled around the country for 2 weeks on organized tours.

Looking at the group I saw only American and English kids. I asked one of the leaders, who was a Dominican surfer type who lived in Cabarete, why there were no Dominican or Dominican Americans in the group volunteering. He said that volunteering is just not a big part of Dominican culture. I do not know why this is or what it will take to change this but as it is often talked about on DR1 a lot Dominicans are more interested when they return in impressing people on the island with expensive clothes, jewelry, cars ,etc.

Maybe you are starting a trend in a more positive direction.

I found the website of the group that I saw:

International Student Volunteers

Hey Chris-I'm glad you took my advice. Jarabacoa is one of my favorite places in the country.

I've had the pleasure to work a bit with the InterDom internship program which is a part of the Global Foundation for Democracy and Development (FUNGLODE). They have a basically brand new and very impressive program that brings U.S. students to the DR to intern in local companies. I was impressed to find out that several of their participants were Dominican/Americans. Some of these students are doing really interesting research and from what I can see; truly assisting their company. Maybe this is the start of something?

Tallman168-I don't know how much the Dominican Gov't is concerned with Dominican/Americans coming back to work in the DR but I really feel like young Dominican/Americans comes with new ideas, a solid education and maybe most importantly, a passion for the country since it is theirs too. I definitely see this with the InterDom students previously mentioned.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hey Chris-I'm glad you took my advice. Jarabacoa is one of my favorite places in the country.

I've had the pleasure to work a bit with the InterDom internship program which is a part of the Global Foundation for Democracy and Development (FUNGLODE). They have a basically brand new and very impressive program that brings U.S. students to the DR to intern in local companies. I was impressed to find out that several of their participants were Dominican/Americans. Some of these students are doing really interesting research and from what I can see; truly assisting their company. Maybe this is the start of something?

Tallman168-I don't know how much the Dominican Gov't is concerned with Dominican/Americans coming back to work in the DR but I really feel like young Dominican/Americans comes with new ideas, a solid education and maybe most importantly, a passion for the country since it is theirs too. I definitely see this with the InterDom students previously mentioned.
I've had some contact with them too (Robert put me in touch with the person who runs it) and it came about after Leonel Fernandez had the idea of a sort of Peace Corps model where qualified Dominican-Americans would come to the DR to share their skills locally, as well as acquiring knowledge and skills from the experience.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si senor.......

This comment is so true it's NOT even funny!!.

MOST of these youngsters rather go to the DR and show-off than help.

When my son was in Junior High School, I made sure he volunteered in helping people from poor countries.

Him and his organization visited the DR many times, Nicaragua (his mom's country) and MANY other countries.

He continued doing so up until his College years.

I believe it should start with the parent. They are the ones that should be "planting the seeds" on their kids. They need to push them to give a little to those who needs it the most.

It's pretty sad that most parents rather their kids spend their vacations playing video games than to volunteer and help where it's needed.

The lessons they learn is priceless.

To this day, my son tells me that the best thing that I ever one for him was to MAKE him volunteer. He says that what he learned in ONE day, was enough to last him a lifetime.

See, when you see REAL poverty, and it doesn't matter who you are, you WILL be touched!!.

I, also, have been in MANY flights to the DR where a bunch of volunteers were on the same flight and I didn't see anybody who resembled a Dominican. Well, unless they were blond and green/blue eyed.

It's really a shame but as I said, it should start with the parent.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Tallman has a very good point here! Nobody over there wants the people who send them money to go back to work there (they are welcome back to chill out, but not to work and be like them there). That means no more Western Union or maletas (pacas) being sent to them... Maybe this has conditioned Dominicans to continue this cycle - the Dominican economy is largely composed of the money spent and sent from the Domicans abroad.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Miguel, we finally have something in common?!!

Nicaragua (his mom's country) and MANY other countries.

Maybe we should start a thread about the BIG differences in Nicaragua and DR!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I personally know many Dominicans in the US and many will tell you that they don't want to go back to the DR because:

1. Power outages
2. Cities are dirty
3. Politicians are criminals
4. Violence
5. No future

This may or may not be the case but this is what many will tell you. Most of this info is gotten second hand from family here in the DR or from visiting. It can't hurt that whenever they visit they are treated as royalty with the respect and admiration for being able to live in the land of milk and honey.

For most Dominicans here in the DR and in the US there would be no comparison as to the choice where they would like to live, bottom line.

My question is, where is the love of the Patria???!!!!! Hell, I'm a gringo (albeit with quisquellano roots) and I have more hope and desire for changes in this country than 100.0000% of the Dominicans I have met and talked too. BTW this is my favorite topic of discussion so I discuss this a lot.

Last edited:

DRsScarface

Feb 26, 2004
Going Back

I am a Dominican-American and I'm presently a college student here in the U.S. I would like to go back to the DR to work and live since I feel at home there. However, I do not want to kill myself working hard to get a college education and then get paid crap in the DR. I think the only way I will end up living there is if a European or American company hires me and pays me European/American wages. The DR is beautiful and has the ability to grow, but the current corrupt system and lack of interest from its people in volunteering and keeping the country clean and organized is keeping it down.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am a Dominican-American and I'm presently a college student here in the U.S. I would like to go back to the DR to work and live since I feel at home there. However, I do not want to kill myself working hard to get a college education and then get paid crap in the DR. I think the only way I will end up living there is if a European or American company hires me and pays me European/American wages. The DR is beautiful and has the ability to grow, but the current corrupt system and lack of interest from its people in volunteering and keeping the country clean and organized is keeping it down.

You have a tall order to fill that is for sure. However, I wish you the best of luck. Check with the US Embassy first to see about a position.

suerte

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I have always been impressed by just how patriotic Dominicans are (not that I'm one of those people who would hold the value of patriotism as a be-all & end-all in life, you only have to see what I write about the UK to realise this ;) ). But for many intelligent, educated Dominicans who live abroad, realism has to mesh with patriotism. One of my Dominican friends in New York yearns to return but knows he never can because he would speak out too much against corruption and make life thoroughly unpleasant for himself. From my point of view he is exactly the sort of person the DR needs to return but can any of us expect someone to sacrifice that much?

However there are people who discover their Dominican roots and do 'return': in last weekend's Listin the case of Edward Lamarche Levin who discovered he was great great grandson of Juan Isidro P?rez of La Trinitaria; he moved back some 8 months ago. He now aims to obtain Dominican citizenship. 'Return' is in inverted commas because this man did not live here as a child, he apparently did not even know he was Dominican.
La República - Un ciudadano EEUU descubre es familiar de un prócer trinitario