New Power Law???!!!!

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
It is my inderstanding that the power company now has the authority to enforce the law. Minimum 3-5 days in jail, plus monetary fine for stealing 1000kw.

Don?t get me wrong, I make Mr. Edenorte rich with my monthly installment, only to be extorted by Mr. Edenorte and his hired guns (a.k.a., "technicos")for addition sums every year. I have lived here for 6 years, so I am very aware I pay a disproportionatley large monthly fee for electricity, but then to have to pay RD$300000 just to get my lights turned on while trying to prove I did not use 3224kw in one month at my two bedroom house just wears me out. Meanwhile,my gringo friend and his esposa Dominicana pay nothing for power and simply reconnect the wires whenever the power company disconnects them.

The question: Is my only choice to completely disconnect from the grid to live in this country free of harassment by the power company

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The question: Is my only choice to completely disconnect from the grid to live in this country free of harassment by the power company

Hate to be the one to break this to you, but there have been people who disconnected yet went on receiving bills...............:ermm:

I'm really not too sure how this is going to work. When you have people who for generations have been getting 'free' power (yes I know, it is others who pick up the tab) to make a sudden switch to criminalisation might not sit too well. I'm not talking the large businesses but the poorer barrio dwellers. Maybe they should have introduced bridging mechanisms whereby communities begin to 'police' themselves on this issue? Pretty sure that political mileage will be made out of this by those who want to..........

RD$300,000? What was that about?

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Electricity theft is now a felony in Dominican Republic

It is my inderstanding that the power company now has the authority to enforce the law. Minimum 3-5 days in jail, plus monetary fine for stealing 1000kw.

Don?t get me wrong, I make Mr. Edenorte rich with my monthly installment, only to be extorted by Mr. Edenorte and his hired guns (a.k.a., "technicos")for addition sums every year. I have lived here for 6 years, so I am very aware I pay a disproportionatley large monthly fee for electricity, but then to have to pay RD$300000 just to get my lights turned on while trying to prove I did not use 3224kw in one month at my two bedroom house just wears me out. Meanwhile,my gringo friend and his esposa Dominicana pay nothing for power and simply reconnect the wires whenever the power company disconnects them.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=24987

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Actualy there's some kind of bridging mechanism: at least 60-90 days before it take full effect.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Hate to be the one to break this to you, but there have been people who disconnected yet went on receiving bills...............:ermm:

I'm really not too sure how this is going to work. When you have people who for generations have been getting 'free' power (yes I know, it is others who pick up the tab) to make a sudden switch to criminalisation might not sit too well. I'm not talking the large businesses but the poorer barrio dwellers. Maybe they should have introduced bridging mechanisms whereby communities begin to 'police' themselves on this issue? Pretty sure that political mileage will be made out of this by those who want to..........

RD$300,000? What was that about?

This I can tell you will never happen here

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
The 'kilo'-Thief

...stealing 1000kw... I did not use 3224kw....

You cannot steal or use kW, or 'kilo' like the Dominicans tend to call it.
What your meter counts are kWh... :tired: and that's what you are (over)charged for. ;)

Janin