Moving to the States

redberry32

Jun 22, 2007
I am sure this questions has been asked millions of times, so if there archives that i can read, it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

My question is: If I am an Amereican citizen and I marry a Dominican, what is the procedure for relocating to the States and how long does it take? Do I go to the e embassy before we get married, or wait until after, what documents are needed, etc. Thanks!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am sure this questions has been asked millions of times, so if there archives that i can read, it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

My question is: If I am an Amereican citizen and I marry a Dominican, what is the procedure for relocating to the States and how long does it take? Do I go to the e embassy before we get married, or wait until after, what documents are needed, etc. Thanks!

1. See post #2 in the following link:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/65023-visa-questions.html

2. Do not ask the US Consulate in Santo Domingo any info - Call a lawyer in the States or directly to the USCIS. I asked a Dominican working for the US Consulate and she gave me false info not to mention that her English stunk. It is a crying shame that they let people like that work there. It caused me to be apart for more than 9 months from my wife and daughter. You also need to know that many in the US Consulate, mostly Dominicans treat their fellow countrymen like schit and will treat them bad at the very least if not give them false info purposely(probably becasue of jealousy.)

3. Don't do anything until you do your research.

4. Be patient - by all accounts the process is almost three years now for the fastest option.

redberry32

Jun 22, 2007
three years, wow, I thought since I am an american citizen, it would only take about a year.

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
three years, wow, I thought since I am an american citizen, it would only take about a year.

There is apparently a huge backlog of cases at the US Connsulate in Santo Domingo...some US Citizens have been waiting about two years for an interview for their Dominican spouse.

Everyone is right on here, do a search..check it out.

Congratulations on your up-coming marriage ;)