Transportation from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2007
It IS expensive. The official taxi company of the Bavaro area (SIUTRATURAL) charges US$ 300.

You can get a lower rate (maybe 50 dollars less) if you call a taxi from Higuey.
Call Rapidotaxi 809-554-1150

Or PM me and I'll ask my taxista for a good rate if you are seriously interested.

Italiana

Aug 3, 2007
How much would it be to travel by bus from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata? Is it dangerous and how many hours does it normally take?

Feb 7, 2007
It is not dangerous.

You have to take two or three buses:

Option 1:

STEP 1:
Take Expreso Bavaro leaving from Bavaro bus terminal across from FRIUSA and Texaco gas station in Bavaro, to Santo Domingo (SDQ). Buy the ticket in the bus terminal ticket office in advance, prior to boarding your bus. Come early.

Bus leaves at 7:00am, 10:00am, 2:00pm, 4:00pm. The trip time is 4 hours and the rate is 250 pesos. In SDQ, get off the bus at the 27th of Febrero stop (underneath the overpass) after passing the huge bridge (Puente Duarte). Follow to STEP 2.

There are only 4 Expresos that run the route daily, as per above, so if you miss the bus, go to Option 2.

Option 2:
Take any bus for Higuey from the same Bavaro bus terminal. The ride is 1 hour. On the hour is when expresos leave, which are air conditioned. Other (non-expresos) are not A/C'ed. The price is about 70 pesos for regular and 90 pesos for Expreso bus to Higuey. Buses run every 20 minutes and expreso every hour on the hour. Tickets are purchased on board for both services.

Get off on the 2nd stop in front of Basilica in Higuey (not the 2nd stop in Higuey, the 2nd stop in front of Basilica!!!). Lots of people will be getting off. This stop is right in front of Tres Cruzes (three crosses) and there is the bus station terminal for buses to SDQ.

The buses from Higuey leave every 20 minutes. Most are air-conditioned and leave in 15-20 minutes intervals (rush hour, even every 10 minutes). For regular buses, buy tickets on board. Expresos leave every 30 minutes, all expresos are air-contined and show movies. Buy tickets from a ticket agent in the booth or standing in front of the bus. Prices are 160 pesos for regular and 180 pesos for express bus. Travel time is 2 and 1/2 hours. In SDQ, get off the bus at the 27th of Febrero stop (underneath the overpass) after passing the huge bridge (Puente Duarte). Follow to STEP 2.

STEP 2:

From the 27th of Febrero stop take a taxi to Caribe Tours (about 1 km). You should not pay more than 150 pesos.

STEP 3:

Take the Caribe Tours service to Puerto Plata. Cost is about 250 pesos. Buses leave every hour, until 7pm.

It's easy, it's safe, it's cheap.

Your total cost: 650 pesos, which is 20 dollars.

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
I have done the trip. It was a great adventure and I was able to see lots of the country side. At no time did I feel unsafe. I flew back and that was a different adventure!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Go with the bus option! It is safe, cheap and a no-brainer but I did it the simple way...express from PC all the way to the "parada" Maximo Gomez and then paid RD$150 for a taxi to the Caribe bus station. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.