DR1 Oldtimers

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
What is the number 1, (just one), piece of advice you would give to someone visiting the Dominican Republic for the first time?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Forget as much as you can about life in a 1st World country & come with an OPEN & inquisitive mind.

About 7.000 other bits of advice follow on from that (like humility, research, learning Spanish, learn to smile ....................) but as you asked for just ONE, that is the prime point to start from! ~ Grahame.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
If someone says Te Quiero or any other sweet lines to you---- they don't mean it--- run. You are about to be scammed!!-- Call me jaded but I know a couple of people that have been taken both male and female!

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Just like Robert says....

Read as much on DR1 as possible :)

There is so much advice that DR1 members could give you from Have Fun, Be Safe, Learn Spanish, Go to the Beach, Visit the Sites, Watch out for Chicas, but.... The best advice to cover it all would be to just read as much of the DR1 threads as possible. Good Luck ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My one piece of advice (assuming you have read DR1 of course ) when you get off the plane - remember to take your brain with you! I swear most tourists leave it on board to pick up when they depart!

Sep 19, 2005
Bring lots of money and really have a blast.

one doesnt necessarily follow the second...but when in doubt USUALLY more money is the solution ha ha ha

well if you could only give once piece of advice.....Id also say read up here on all the subject you can think of....it may be a broad "Piece of advice".

I think the best answer has to encompass yur health and or safety.. thats the most important thing....all the other issues surely are fixed with money...or just living the hassle

DONT DRINK ANY WATER NOT BOTTLED......is the type of answer I have in mind.

or

WEAR a CONDOM >>>OR TWO.......

good luck

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I like "planner's" advice....

This IS a third world country, but we seem to cultivate first world tastes.
We do not live in trees or in huts. We have most of the modern conveniences and we are very connected to the US and with each other.

FYI: there is a greater difference between Haiti and the DR than there is between the DR and the US.

Remember, you as a tourist are a target. Don't try and become a bigger one. Be polite, and that is perhaps the best advice i can give.

A smile and courtesy can go a gazillion miles here.

HB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Unos cuantos......

What is the number 1, (just one), piece of advice you would give to someone visiting the Dominican Republic for the first time?
I'll give you a few #1's:

1- Don't leave your common sense behind as soon as you arrive,
1- Don't fall for a Resort worker,
1- If a Resort worker invites you to a disco or outing, RUNNNN away from him,
1- Don't believe eveything that comes out of people's mouths,
1- Don't "wave" your money around,
1- Keep an open mind as you will be in a third world country,
1- Take whatever men tell you with a "grain of salt" (if you are a female),
1- Get to know the REAL Dominican people, outside the Resort,
1- Do the above with someone NOT from the Resort,
1- When someone, anywhere, tells you "te amo, te quiero, tu linda, I want marry you, I want you live here...", RUUUUN as if your axx was of fire!!,
1- thru 1,000- Don't fall for a Resort worker (I know I said it already for we all know some of these people can't be reminded enough, wahahahahahah!!.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Very Nice

Great answers so far, though I might argue that reading too much of DR1 might actually dissuade some from visiting, ha ha.

I'm working on the Spanish.
I'm bringing my fiance with me, so no sanky panky.
We are pretty much strictly against AI resorts. Just not our style.
We really don't have too much money to flash, so that one is solved.

I like the smile and be friendly idea, and maintaining of the brain. You guys on DR1 are helpful, funny, and a little crazy I think, (in a good way of course). I so much appreciate the feedback I have received here, and all the good info. I just hope I can keep myself away from the "Men are from Mars......" thread. You could definitely lose days of your life there!
Thanks all!! J in Memphis

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
And don't smoke if not Marlboro and don't sniff.

Do you mean that Marlboro is the only cigarette available? I know I shouldn't smoke. I'm trying to quit, really.
Are the prices high for smokes?
No need to worry about the other stuff.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Actually dear, my advise is FALL for the LOVER and take all that LOVING!! then go home and forget all about it!

***What happens in __________ stays in ___________ ***

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

I am not exactly an 'oldtimer' having only lived here 14 months, I am also female, and from the UK not the US but my one piece of advice would be to get to know a few people on DR1 and arrange to visit with them to be able to get out and see the "real" DR and meet the "real" lovely people who this island belongs to.......... i.e. the "real" reason why many of us choose to live here fulltime.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Do you mean that Marlboro is the only cigarette available? I know I shouldn't smoke. I'm trying to quit, really.
Are the prices high for smokes?
No need to worry about the other stuff.

Of course not but don't forget D.R. is not Memphis don't expect to find the same variety of cigarettes.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
FYI: there is a greater difference between Haiti and the DR than there is between the DR and the US.

I am not sure I agree on that one, estimado amigo...

Of course, it might be a matter of perception...

It is a bit off-topic, but this would be a marvelous theme of (a long) conversation while sipping Barbancourt 5* on the rocks ;)

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
And don't smoke if not Marlboro and don't sniff.

Oh, I get it now! Sorry, I'm a little slow. Not to worry. I've heard DR jails are not too pleasant.

So, we have a few votes for courtesy and politeness and smiling. That should be fairly easy since I appreciate those qualities myself.