Surveillance Cameras in Tourist Areas?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
DR1 Travel News said:
Tourism Minister Felix Jimenez has called for the installation of surveillance cameras in parts of Santo Domingo?s Colonial City, the Malecon seafront avenue and tourist areas in Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete, Las Terrenas, Las Galeras, Juan Dolio and Punta Cana. He said that surveillance cameras would enhance security in these areas, and then the time limits for the sale of alcoholic beverages could be lifted. He proposed that the Ministry would pay for half of the cost, and local businesses would cover the other half. Speaking during an American Chamber of Commerce luncheon in Puerto Plata, he said that if tourists want to drink all night long, they should be allowed to do so.

Imagine when those videos start to hit youtube!

No real problem in Cabarete, unless they also add some street lights. :bunny:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
surveillance cameras are only as good as:
A: the people monitoring the cameras
B: the response time for the policia to an incident
C: if the cameras work properly so they can be used in court ( i shun when i think of dominican technology)
D: if the police are not the ones caught on camera doing something wrong

criminals are not stupid. if they see a camera, what do they do ? move to the next corner or out of sight of the camera.
i applaud them for their effort but i would think something like a nightly bus service between towns would be better appreciated...

mi dos pesos

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The idea is not a bad one... I am curious to see how they would implement it... In my area (Las Terrenas), all is quite widespread, as gringos have mansions in remote areas, on the hills, or faraway beaches... I guess the cameras would be in the main street only, in the touristic area...

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
High Tech Country

...(Las Terrenas)... I guess the cameras would be in the main street only, in the touristic area...

...where often the footage would be fogged by blue fumes from the two-stroke 'moto' engines.

Of course the procurement of another high tech plaything (> Harley Davidson motorcycles, electronic blackboards)) would pay kickbacks to some flunkey and then render useless after little time.

Purpose served.

Janin

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Not a bad idea - it will help - in a world where we are battling international competition for tourist dollars - every little bit we can do to increase the "appearance" that the gov't is doing something to protect tourists (and locals). When you create a sense of security it has to help. Of course how much it helps will depend on how it is used......

Sep 19, 2005
maybe they just need a "palatable reason" to lift the alcohol ban............

the cameras will be stolen or broken in no time. and once it catches the cops the tapes will go missing.....or they may go missing for the right amount of money to anyone caught..

it is a tough row to hoe.... it is almost like EVERY FIX has to happen at the same time or it is all wasted....no sense fixing one when they other parts stay broken....

you have to fix the crime , but you have to fix the cops , but you have to fix the reason there is so much crime, which you have to fix corruption( which eats away at budgets for fixing problems in the first place), and once one pieces starts to crumble the whole cake crumbles, and you have to start ALL OVER AGAIN.

many of the solutions are just feel good acts to post in the papers, or get some mileage for election time.

this I feel is just a vehicle for lifting the alcohol ban.

JMHO

bob

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
honestly, i've been to the DR 11 times and i've never seen any crimes at night. i'm out every night until curfew time and i see nothing. maybe i'm on the wrong side of town.

Sep 19, 2005
honestly, i've been to the DR 11 times and i've never seen any crimes at night. i'm out every night until curfew time and i see nothing. maybe i'm on the wrong side of town.

no Id say you are on the right side of town!!! ha ha ha

kyle, you have never been shaken down by the police national???

anyway...back to the topic at hand....it probably will help some,heck they could put up the cameras and not even turn them on...a lot of the low life criminals who commit crime sof opportunity would never know they are not even working... and be detered

bob

bob

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think the idea is to keep crime AWAY from tourist areas. The camera's mere existence, once they are known to have been effective in on or two instances, will do just that.

I still have one property in Spain, it's rather luxurious, empty and for sale. Because of it's large pool with bridge, fountain and bubble jets, it has soon become an attraction to some uninvited teenagers during spring thru late fall... naturally with all the problems that go with it, ranging from used condoms, pick-nick garbage and empty bottles and stuff laying around to damages to the property due to excessive partying.
So, this spring we had a full surveillance system installed: 8 cameras with night vision. Some setup for close up shots to make mug shots at "must see" places and some to monitor overall movement. There are 4 very visible cameras on top of the main house, making it look like an US Embassy in the middle East and 4 which are not easily visible. We store the 10 last of life video on hard disks which can be screened on site or on-line. One idiot (whom we had suspected all along) got trapped within a week. The police was sent out to his parents with a print of his face and now the whole region knows it.... result: This summer season we had NOT ONE pool guest! :)

... J-D.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
oooh-- I wonder how many spouses will get busted by the curious wife/husband??? after it hits You Tube???

"Gloria, didn't Johnny say he was going to Sousa for the weekend with the boys?

Yeah Flo. He really does work hard. I don't mind him going 2X a year. He really loves the Dominican ....... Republic.

Gloria let's see if we can find anything online. I bet we can find some really pretty pictures of Sosua. He says it's very quiet there. Nothing ever goes on."

SURPRISE!!!!!!!!