Living and working for 6 months in the DR

lookin'forlove

Sep 14, 2004
I used the search function as suggested by so many. Much of what I found was "use the search function to find the answers that you are looking for"!

There was lots of information, but I didn't find anything on point for what my questions are. I am not looking for permanent residency nor temporary residency lasting as long as 3 years. I am talking about 6 months so that I can be with my man, during which time we will marry and then I will return to Canada and wait for him.

Can anybody enlighten me please on what is involved in getting a temp job for that time to cover costs? I see lots written about "working legally", but what are the ramifications of "working illegally" if I can find somebody to pay me for some work? What is "working illegally"?

Any help or guidance is appreciated. If you feel like I can get my answers if I do a search, can you tell me which terms to use? I tried a number of combinations of "work" and "residency".

Thank you so much!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
... I am talking about 6 months so that I can be with my man, during which time we will marry and then I will return to Canada and wait for him.
Can anybody enlighten me please on what is involved in getting a temp job for that time to cover costs? ...

Working 'illegally' for 6 months in the DR should not be a problem. There is no control. But, finding any job (temp, or not temp) in the DR is a real big problem. Even if you have a job, paying for living expenses is the next big problem. How much Spanish do you have? Which area of the country are you planning to go to? I also know that most employers in tourist areas will most probably not employ someone who is in the DR to 'be with her man'. People will immediately assume that you are there for a Sankie, and will steer clear of employing you to avoid trouble.

You may luck out and find a job in Sosua or Cabarete as a waitress if the tourist season turns out to be busy.

Last edited:

lookin'forlove

Sep 14, 2004
I understand what you mean and appreciate your honesty.

I would be looking in the La Romana area. My Spanish is by no means extensive, but I know a number of businesspeople in the area and would be approaching them for work first. They know me and my skills, and they know my relationship so I'm not so worried about the sankie confusion. If they had a situation for me though, I wouldn't want to put their businesses in jeopardy with the "illegal" thing. My guy has a job and expenses would be shared, and I wouldn't be expecting a high paying job but I'd like one that I could look back on in later years fondly. I'm returning to the area in a month and will be looking at the situation more closely while there, but just wanted to see if it really was a possibility at all. I'm feeling doubtful that I can have my cake (maintain my job and home in Canada) while I try to eat it too (have a semi-life in the DR for a spell). I don't know if my corns have healed from my waitressing days in Canada, so taking up that job again would be familiar yet entirely different at the same time.

Thank you again.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Another beautiful lovestory!

We want to learn from our own mistakes, not from the painful experience of others.

Good luck!

lookin'forlove

Sep 14, 2004
How?
50/50?

Why don't you just come here, check how the cost sharing works out and then decide to take up a job...

Janin

I'm not that much of risk taker, Janin! I'd like to have my ducks in a row in advance if possible!

As I mentioned, I return to the area in a month and will absolutely be scoping out the situation once there, looking for accommodations, calling in favours and begging for favours. I know it's not an easy situation and I'm feeling overwhelmed already, but if it appears at all possible, I'll persevere.

50/50? I don't know. I won't be spending a ton of life savings to make it happen since a lot will be spent on maintaining my home in Canada while I'd be elsewhere. This might be the one time when 50/50 really is what would be happening since I haven't a lot of resources to tap. Thousands would be spent on keeping my apartment, but it might balance out compared to the expenses of getting back and forth to the DR as many times as I do in a year, plus the saving of long distance phone charges in a month. But then there's the lost income on a good Canadian job for half a year.

Obviously I'm in the early stages of planning, and even thinking about it. I'm remaining hopeful and optimistic, but I'm a realist too!

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I think HB was just going to reiterate his "Three Golden Rules" for a relationship with a Dominican, but decided it would fall on deaf ears.
Why not bite the bullet, give up your Canadian job and apartment and make the move permanent???? - like so many of us with successful relationships did!

If it is true love (and not just lust and a prayer) you will find a way to be happy together no matter what your finances (Dominicans have been doing that for centuries!)