Olympics

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
I know this has nothing to do with the D.R. but, after reading about the Chinese govt. helping the Dominican players coming to Beijing I thought I'd post this. I am in China now came here to get married. My wife is Chinese. HOWEVER, it is not easy here. YES, the people are friendly, cities are clean but, bring lots of cash for the games. It is very hard to use international credit cards here. Most major hotels take them but, almost no where else. Also most ATM's don't accept them either. Neither do most rest. I had to get extra cash and spent over an hour in the bank lots of paperwork. Beijing is a modern city lights and water all the time. I am staying in an apt. in Jinan and it is the same. Just a thought bring CASH.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
we are coming back to live in the D.R. just as soon as I can get her Visa. all documents are done but we have to fly to Hong Kong because, the Dominican Embassy is Bejing does not issue them. Boy this is not easy. Jinan to H.K. is like N.Y. to L.A. Also it is very expensive here. T.V's, refrigs. etc. are cheap but you can spend 1,000 dollars per week before you know it.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I know this has nothing to do with the D.R. but, after reading about the Chinese govt. helping the Dominican players coming to Beijing I thought I'd post this. I am in China now came here to get married. My wife is Chinese. HOWEVER, it is not easy here. YES, the people are friendly, cities are clean but, bring lots of cash for the games. It is very hard to use international credit cards here. Most major hotels take them but, almost no where else. Also most ATM's don't accept them either. Neither do most rest. I had to get extra cash and spent over an hour in the bank lots of paperwork. Beijing is a modern city lights and water all the time. I am staying in an apt. in Jinan and it is the same. Just a thought bring CASH.
I'll mention your warning to all my Dominican friends who will be visiting China for the games Capt. Rob!! :ermm::cheeky:

Hey, look on the bright side - ATM's not accepting cards means there are no ATM frauds/scams like there are here in the DR!:bunny::bunny:! See, there IS a positive side to everything if you just look hard enough!! ~ Grahame.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
I do not know about travelers checks. I had a bad experience once in Brazil when I was working with the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture could not cash more than 100 dollars per day. Can't even eat on that with two people. The other thing is almost nobody speaks English let alone Spanish. Hardly think they are ready for so many people from different countries. But, have had no bad experience with any tigres sure they are here but, so far it has been great. Thank God, my wife speaks Chinese and English or I would be lost. Also be prepared to be stared at. I don't ever think they have seen different races here. I am american with a typical tropical suntan and have been told I look dirty. So I just show them my white butt and have a laugh. Very old customs here really have to behave or else.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
....... So I just show them my white butt and have a laugh. Very old customs here really have to behave or else.
I bet THAT went down well - they probably don't see too many white butts, dirty OR otherwise!!

Someone here in the DR (keeping this Dominican related) once told me that in China, pinching a lady's buttocks was a sign of respect, is that TRUE??? Could you check it out & confirm so I can refute this guys comments if necessary? Thanks - Grahame.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
i would not dare do anything disrespectful here. very, very old culture. The women are beautiful but don't touch. i have been told 10 months of dating before you get a kiss.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Met her on a business trip here last year. Have been trying to start up a business import export. Not easy. Products here are cheap. but, don't seem to find anything to export. The country has the best fruits and vegies. you can think about. All beautiful and fresh. Like 1o different kinds of Apples and so on. We have been talking for a year via internet over 20,000 mesg. So before my airline miles expired I thought why not. We got married Aug the 8th after being here for 15 days. And hey she is not easy. Yes young and beautiful only 22 but, with a four year degree. So if anyone wants to learn Chinese or English or Japanese she is the girl. She is learning Spanish now and already knows " TATE QUIETO " very well my mistake !!!!! She has not visited the D.R. only by Goggle Earth. Am working on her Visa right now. Not easy and NO DOMINICAN BEER to make it go down smooth. Only Cuba Libre is at Hard Rock Cafe a One hour plane ride from where I am at. I know everyone HATES ME but, please I want to come home.