Internet service provider list

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi all

I just wondered if anyone could provide a list of internet service providers on the island.

Thanks in advance
Hey Justin,
Is it safe to assume that you are still having problems surfing the net, as per http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/65018-problems-codetel-internet-anyone-else.html#post542795 ?
If so, would you like to bring your puter over here for us to check it on our system?
If it has the same problems here, then we'll try to locate the problem and solve it.
If it does not, then we can try to establish what it is at your apartment that is causing you the problems.
There is no good reason that the Codetel service you have there, would not be adequate.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
1) Codetel

Sorry, I couldn't help it. That's it unless you wish to set up a satellite system. The local cable company has been promising a cable modem system for the past year. When I ask if it is going to happen soon they say no. When I ask if it will take another year, they say no. When I ask when, they say they don't know.

I'm not sure where you live, but I live in Sosua and I've had cable internet from De Lancer in Sosua for a few months now. I'm very pleased with it and the 2 guys in charge of it are very 'up to speed' on things. It's been very reliable and has run continuously with no problems at all. There are two speeds available, 256k for $35 per month or 512k for $51 per month.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Keep in mind that a cable modem are connected in a star configuration. That means a group of subscribers is connected to one point and then on to the companies hardware and the internet backbone. Because of that, the more people that are added to the star who are online at any given time could cut into the bandwidth. When you are the only one on the star, you will get the best possible speeds. It is possible, but not always the case depending upon many factors, that your speed will suffer as they sign up more people in your immediate area. That is one reason why they have multiple speed plans. My point is, if they put too many people on the star, you may not get your promised and paid for bandwidth.

Maybe I should stop recommending it to people then! ;)

Justin Trousersnake

Jul 31, 2007
hi rocky, the net was down for 2 days after the storm a few days ago, since coming back on the net has not been to bad. but if things happen again, i will pm you to have a look. Thanks

chris - moderator, that was one of the funniest things i have seen in a longtime