American trying to move to DR !HELP!

mrc1330

Aug 11, 2007
I am 23 years old, physically fit, i have family in the DR so temporary living isnt a problem. In the US i have 2 years of college under my belt, i'm a licensed mortgage broker, i am very good at computers, accounting, payroll, i can type 40 WPM, i am also a certified soccer coach, I've worked in grocery stores when younger.

If i were to want to live in the DR, (doesnt have to be central region), what can i possible do to provide for my dominican wife and child so that we can live in an airconditioned apt and eat 3-4 meals per day? I dont need the world but i need to be able to provide for them.(wife takes care of 3 month old child for now) Already i can sell a couple cellphones per month that i bring from the US easy and i make about 1000-2000 pesos profit sometimes. but that wont work if i live there because i'll run into shipping costs.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Also what kind of property can i buy for about $5,000 maybe i can rent that property and live in my wifes... i dont know any info greatly appreciated.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
your chances of making it here are extremely slim. you have no real marketable skill here that a dominican wont do for half what it costs you to eat, and not anywhere near enough capital to invest.

mrc1330

Aug 11, 2007
How about a bilingual job, a english teacher, or english tutor, i've heard that billingual assistants can make up to 20,000RD a month? is that true... there's got to be something i can do to make over 12,000RD. And the 5,000 i have is $5,000USD to get there and start, maybe put the deposit on the apt. My wife said she would like to live in Jarabacoa where supposedly its normally colder so thats where i would look to start.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The best way to find a job which is adequate for you to make the full time move, is to go around while you are here visiting until you find one that is adequate, and then be ready to make a rush move down here.
Until then, keep on bringing the cellphones when you visit and save up as much as you can, for when you do make the move.
Jobs are easy to find.
Well paying jobs are very scarce.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
In Jarabacoa a US certified experienced school teacher can expect around $11,000-$13,000a month. A portion of that will have to come from regular donations from supporters you have commitments from in the US.