where would one rent a car on a sunday?

A

apostropheman

A buddy and I plan to be in the Gazcue area of Santo Domingo on a Sunday and wonder where to rent from a major company like Hertz or Budget?

Would it just be more sensible to rent from the airport upon arrival a couple of days before we really need it?

Before the usual warnings (well deserved) of the horrors :cheeky: of driving in the Dr, and the Capitol specifically, let me stipulate that I will not be doing the driving and my buddy has driven in SD for many trips in the past. We just have not rented from anywhere but at the airport.

Thanks in advance for any concrete suggestions regarding where to rent from.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
OH NO!!!! the spelling police!!!:paranoid:...or are you just heavily medicated?:cheeky::bunny::bunny:

After careful review of her responses today, I think she merely suffers from CPS, without actually ever saying anything relevant.

tambo'

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Must be female - every post refer to sankies somehow. Or, perhaps another rendition of mountainfrog? :cheeky:

Oh sorry apostropheman, no idea where to rent a car outside of the airport.

A

apostropheman

so....back to reality:cheeky::bunny::bunny:

any other thoughts on where to rent a car from around the Gazcue area of SD on a Sunday?

Alamo/National

Avenida Maximo Gomez esquina Avenida Indenpendencia

sounds fine but are there any other options?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
so....back to reality:cheeky::bunny::bunny:

any other thoughts on where to rent a car from around the Gazcue area of SD on a Sunday?

Alamo/National

Avenida Maximo Gomez esquina Avenida Indenpendencia

sounds fine but are there any other options?
Do you not like the deals at the airport?
The ones in POP are very competitive.

A

apostropheman

planning on arriving friday afternoon and hanging around in SD till sunday afternoon. don't really need a car until sunday as el conde, the colonial zone and the malecon are all within walking distance of the hotel....so no parking hassle, etc...
Do you not like the deals at the airport?
The ones in POP are very competitive.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Dollar

planning on arriving friday afternoon and hanging around in SD till sunday afternoon. don't really need a car until sunday as el conde, the colonial zone and the malecon are all within walking distance of the hotel....so no parking hassle, etc...

Dollar rent a car on av. Independencia No 366
Santo Domingo,

Good ratesreservaciones en RD 800-788-7863 ask for Claudia Diaz
Dollar Rent-a-car Rep?blica Dominicana. Alquiler de veh?culos (rent-a-car) en la Rep?blica Dominicana.

anneeoakland

Feb 12, 2005
I have been pleased with Thrifty. Make reservation on-line for best price. (can even do an hour before pick up) They have pick up either at the airport (kind of a pain if you aren't picking up on arrival) or near(a few blocks) the Caribe Tours bus station.

Feb 7, 2007
There are a few rental car companies on Independencia. Nelly, Alamo/National, Dollar, Europcar to name just some. They are all within a 3 block radius on Inde before Pasteur.

There is also Budget and Thrifty, which to my knowledge have the cheapest rates of all. They are not on Inde though.

SUSBOS5

Jul 28, 2007
I would be careful with Thrifty, I had problems with them the last 2 times I used them. They charged my credit card 12,000 USD instead of 12,000 RD. I am still trying to get it fixed. But except for that they were very nice and the car didn't stink. Just be watchful of the charges that get processed.

Feb 7, 2007
Rental car companies have two credit card machines (terminals).
One is connected to VISANET and is for foreign issued cards, and charged in USD.
One is connected to CARDNET and is for DR issued cards, and is charged in RDP.

Most likely, an employee made an error. Had you noticed it on the spot, he should have been able to void the transaction resulting in no charge.