US appliances

monn

Aug 8, 2007
Do US appliances work in DR? I plan on shipping all my belongings over, home office machines, DJ equipment and much more. What can I expect going through customs?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Do US appliances work in DR? I plan on shipping all my belongings over, home office machines, DJ equipment and much more. What can I expect going through customs?
US appliances work here.
As for what to expect from customs, well..... Bring your KY jelly.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you bring in a container during the correct time (timed with your residency) your taxes can be almost nothing. A lot depends also on the customs agent you use here. We just did it at a VERY reasonable cost. PM me if you want more details.

Bob K

monn

Aug 8, 2007
Bob, pls tell me more. In reference to the timing, will I need to get my residency rolling in the US or should I do it all there?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Here's my experience: Forget bringing in anything with an electrical cord attached. The people working in Customs have an anal fixation on anything with a cord attached to it (and probably some DR1ers can personally testify to that, jajaja)

I brought in a 40' container of drums, bags, etc of chemicals, and one small box with a replacement 1/4 hp motor inside. Three Customs officials spent 3 hours on that motor, and ignored the rest of the shipment, even when I asked my pal if they were going to check the nuclear waste in the drums. They didn't bother. After 3 hours, they decided that the paperwork was correct, they had all of the numbers recorded for whatever office would want them, and that it would be OK to release the shipment.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
To my understanding your container needs to arrive here within 6 months of your temporary (first) residency. You then have to go to SD to apply for an exoneration of taxes. This is a whole day process but worth the experience. You also need a good reputable customs agent on this end. Having done all of that we shipped a full 40 ft. container and ended up paying less then 10% or what the original tax bill was going to be. This included shipping all kinds of appliances and electronics. You hear horror stories, but ours was a piece of cake.

Bob K