traffic light

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
4k9zls0.jpg

the counter lets you know when the traffic light will turn red or green ?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Gee Kyle, are you having a blonde moment or what? The light is red and it is counting..... do you think maybe it is counting to when it turns green......LOL
Then when it is green it will count down again to when it turns red.

I love these new lights. We have them in Puerto Plata now too......

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They are excellent and I hope we get lots of them in Santo Domingo, it will cut down on the chaos and accidents. The only other country I have seen these being used in is Colombia.

They are LED based, so last longer and use less power.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
They are excellent and I hope we get lots of them in Santo Domingo, it will cut down on the chaos and accidents. The only other country I have seen these being used in is Colombia.

They are LED based, so last longer and use less power.
The results are fantastic.
People seem to be so much more patient, as watching the countdown keeps them busy while they wait.
I bet you they reduce intersection accidents in a big way.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
People seem to be so much more patient, as watching the countdown keeps them busy while they wait.

Yeah... unless when they re-start their "red" count down after reaching "0" because the can't be set to a higher value than 99 seconds when additional time is needed to handle complicated intersections (Eg: Cicumvalacion & Kunhardt, Lora & Hospital in Puerto Plata).

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

When we first had them in Puerto Plata the results were great for numeracy too. The kids stood by the lights & counted down outloud. :) They've tired of that now because we've had the lights several months.

Just watch for the conchos if you're at the front of the line..........03 on red seems to equal 30 on green for them.

These lights can be differentially set btw. The 'nightmare' junction in PP (on Manolo Tavarez Justo outside Ricardo Limardo hospital) has them set to 60 seconds. Elsewhere it is 30.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I agree. They put one of those @ Sadhala & Argentina in STI, a nasty intersection. Makes a TON of difference there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The least the country needs, IMO.
But well, its procurement served the needs of somebody... ;)

Janin
My goodness!

When politicians do nothing, people complain.

When politicians do something positive, people complain anyway. :tired:

-NALs

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
These lights a great, especially for busy intersections. love them in Santiago.

Zeus..

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah... unless when they re-start their "red" count down after reaching "0" because the can't be set to a higher value than 99 seconds when additional time is needed to handle complicated intersections (Eg: Cicumvalacion & Kunhardt, Lora & Hospital in Puerto Plata).

... J-D.

This is how it is on some of the intersections in Santiago. So when it gets to 0 it starts over again at 99. Someone invariabley jumps the light with the first countdown. Have you noticed that the second it turns to green the guy 20 cars back starts honking his horn.
It also still pays to look before you go if you are the fist car at the light as the cross traffic doesn't necessarily stop when it turns red. At least 2 or 3 more cars or motos try to sneak through.
So beware.

Bob K

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The countdown has a tendency to make the drivers who have the green light speed up in order to make it through the intersection.

Opps, only 5 seconds left, pedal to the metal..........
I?m only half a block away, I can make it!

Zoom, Zoom!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My goodness!

When politicians do nothing, people complain.

When politicians do something positive, people complain anyway. :tired:

-NALs

Yep Nals,

The politicians will do anything except repair the roads....... no money in that!

BTW, in Santiago I have seen the light turn Green before the counter got down to Zero.
I believe it is the one at the intersection where Supermercado Nacional is located (Heading toward Nacional from Santiago on 27 de Feb).

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yep Nals,

The politicians will do anything except repair the roads....... no money in that!

BTW, in Santiago I have seen the light turn Green before the counter got down to Zero.
I believe it is the one at the intersection where Supermercado Nacional is located (Heading toward Nacional from Santiago on 27 de Feb).
You're sounding like Janin.
Is your glass half empty?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The countdown has a tendency to make the drivers who have the green light speed up in order to make it through the intersection.

Opps, only 5 seconds left, pedal to the metal..........
I?m only half a block away, I can make it!

Zoom, Zoom!

So would orange/yellow before red.
I feared the same you posted, but actually, at least here in Puerto Plata, I have not (yet) witnessed too much of a tendency in that direction.
A far bigger issue are some bone heads who just don't seem to grasp the concept of red and green yet.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A far bigger issue are some bone heads who just don't seem to grasp the concept of red and green yet. ... J-D.

Oh you found out about Bushbaby's colour blindness.............? :laugh::laugh:

Actually the boneheads to whom you refer understand the concept of red & green ok it's just that it doesn't apply to them. It's all the other folk who need to observe it............;) another facet of the local psyche......

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
planner, a blonde moment ? you've seen me and know that's quite impossible :laugh:
but thanks for the comment. you know what i meant.

i love you too...