OH no , there goes my secret!!

Sep 19, 2005
Saw this on the DR1 news. That they list hunting as a possiblity, says they are looking for lots of versatility. I know that the big resort over in La Romana offers pheasant hunting. But otherwise the DR as a hunting spot has been a little known secret. probably because of the lack of participation.

The mere fatc that the farmwer up on the north coast are poisoning the ducks that migrate there to feed in the rice fields says there has to be SOME opportunities!!!!!!!!!

lots of other latin countries offer dove hunting and they rake in millions, because of the sheer numbers of birds and the lack of local hunting pressure.

I know my buddy wanted to offer guided wild boar hunts on a mutual friends 30,000 acre ranch in batero.

and he also met with some people involved in trying to decide if stocking certain non native fish in selected lakes for trying to lure vacationing fishermen.( you always have to worry about non native introducions!!)

Tourism will break the mold
Tourism Minister Felix Jimenez says that the DR is in the process of breaking the "sun and sand" tourism mold and working towards a development model consisting of a range of tourism offers, all involving the local community. He foresees new developments in wellness, scuba, golf, hunting, business and cultural tourism.
He said that it was important to support the tourism sector because it provided 21% of the country's revenue, adding that this figure is set to increase over the next 10 to 15 years.
According to Jimenez, RD$1.6 billion has been invested in infrastructure for the tourism sector to build aqueducts, sewage systems and housing projects in Puerto Plata, Samana and San Pedro de Macoris provinces and for regenerating beaches. Jimenez made his comments during an interview with Listin Diario. Jimenez added that only RD$1.1 million of the investment was spent on administrative costs.

bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Hey Bob, what's the hunting regulations or laws in the DR? Regarding what you can hunt, where, and firearm you can use.

Ricardo

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I don't understand why thy would allow hunting in a country that has over 100 species in the border of extinction? Besides, raising fish in a farm or birds in an aviary means that the prey is not going to be good quality.

Sep 19, 2005
I don't understand why thy would allow hunting in a country that has over 100 species in the border of extinction? Besides, raising fish in a farm or birds in an aviary means that the prey is not going to be good quality.

well........................I figured this might be OBVIOUS

......but hey you never know....

I bet they only allow hunting for species that ARE NOT on the border of extinction.. sheeese!!!

unless you mean the border of extinction being Hait( on the verge of extinction ha ha ha)

they dont need to raise anything for hunting... there are millions upon millions of wild game birds in the DR....

dont fight HUNTING...it is already proven to be a totally viable tool for game management......its only drawback is that some people cant except any form of killing animlas ...period

no need to debate hunting or fishing.....the subject is that tourism is looking at that.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
"The tourism infrastructure program, according to Jim?nez, will require an investment of RD$8,500 million for the 2007-2009 period. Resources for this will be generated by raising the airport fee from US$15 to US$23. This increase will come into effect in mid-2007.
The Ministry?s plans also include developing the southern region?s tourism potential, BUILDING ROADS TO LINK THE CENTRAL-NORTHERN HIGHLAND AREAS building of Monci?n (i.e. Santiago Rodriguez province) , J?nico and San Jos? de las Matas, as well as Jarabacoa and Constanza with the aim of increasing eco-tourist activity in these areas."

"Refiri? adem?s la terminaci?n y CONSTRUCCI?N DEL CORREDOR TUR?STICO DE MONTA?A. ?Nos referimos a la carretera que deber? unir el norte y el noroeste con el sur: La carretera Monci?n (i.e. Santiago Rodriguezprovince), [san Jose de la Maguana] , J?nico, Jarabacoa, Constanza y Ocoa, incluido el tramo carretero Valle Nuevo y Padre Las Casa?. Aclar? que en esa carretera construir?n paradores tur?sticos, desarrollo de hoteles, restaurantes y FINCAS PARA LA CACE?A DE PERDICES Y OTRAS AVES CRIADAS."

"Inversionistas
Dijo adem?s, que llegar?n pr?ximamente inversionistas de Espa?a, Andaluc?a, para desarrollar tres o cuatro fincas privadas de cacer?a de perdices de crianza, no silvestres ( en Monci?n (i.e. Santiago Rodriguez province), Constanza, y San Jos? de las Matas). Se trata, de una pol?tica planificada del turismo, que ha sido consensuada con el sector privado (Asonahores, y las empresas inmobiliarias tur?sticas) tal como se plantea en el Plan Nacional de Competitividad Tur?stica 2007, a?adi?."

El Dinero - El pa?*s romperá esquema tur?*stico de “sol y playa”*

http://dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=21944

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
A ver si le gusta.....

Ever wondered how the "hunters" would feel if the "prey" were the ones with the guns and the "hunters" the "preys"?.

El diablo, a correr se ha dicho.......

It would be so FUNNY to see them running as if their axxes were on fire......

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

I don't expect them to be hunting endangered species.

As far as hunting/fishing the farmed ones there is not distinguishible difference, if anything the farmed varieties of fish and fowl are typically bigger and more tasty because they are raised on a controlled diet like with corn meal.

If you don't believe me go back to the states and catch you a catfish and then go to a restaurant and order some corn fed farm raised catfish and you will see the difference. Now I'm hungry - I think I will need to get some fried mero tonight!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Shad, I don't see anything there about catfish or rainbow trout or pheasant in the latter two articles. Sure one can find cases where the quality is suspect but is that endemic or isolated?

Also, in the first link don't see anything negative about the practices.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Uh-Oh, somehow I feel "Bob & Tavina's Wild Game Hunt", is going to replace the pig farm.:eek:

Let's talk about the plans on Sunday. :laugh:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Shad, I don't see anything there about catfish or rainbow trout or pheasant in the latter two articles. Sure one can find cases where the quality is suspect but is that endemic or isolated?

Also, in the first link don't see anything negative about the practices.
Not those species you mentioned above. But there were many cases in Atlantic Canada and BC where fish farms produced excessive pollution and increased levels of dioxins were found in the fish. As with any commercial farming operation (like feedlots for cattle), large amount waste is produced and unless proper waste management facilities exist, contamination of other agricultural products can occur - last year in America, spinach was contaminated with e coli from cattle waste.

You're right, that 1st link from USDA doesn't hi-lite any negative aspects of commercial farming operations, rather it deals specifically with differences between game and farm raised animals. I included that link only to illustrate that farm raised meat is not the same as game meat.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You're right, that 1st link from USDA doesn't hi-lite any negative aspects of commercial farming operations, rather it deals specifically with differences between game and farm raised animals. I included that link only to illustrate that farm raised meat is not the same as game meat.

If someone prepared you a plate of wild pheasant compared to farm raised pheasant you would more than likely find the farm raised variet superior. Ditto with all farm raised fowl.

As far as fish goes it depends on the variety to be able to recognize the difference. For example, farm raised rainbow trout stocked in the rivers of NC won't taste typicall a whole lot different than the native cutthroats, maybe just a little less fishy. However, there is a huge difference in taste between farm raised catfish and the wild variety. the farm raised stuff is clearly superior and in fact there are many people who don't even bother to fish for the wild version as most catfish varieties are bottom feeders and eat whatever crap falls to the bottom of the lake(with the exception of the blue, which is a game fish found in rivers.

Therefore, in summary, the statement that the farm raised variety of game is inferior to the wild version is false. On the contrary, the farm raised stuff is typically superior, notwithstanding some products from compromised operations.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
If someone prepared you a plate of wild pheasant compared to farm raised pheasant you would more than likely find the farm raised variet superior. Ditto with all farm raised fowl.
Ok, on my next trip, we'll conduct a taste test. I'l provide the meat (from the supermarket) ... darn, I hate seeing animals slaughterd or shot.

Sep 19, 2005
Ok, on my next trip, we'll conduct a taste test. I'l provide the meat (from the supermarket) ... darn, I hate seeing animals slaughterd or shot.

I guess not seeing them slaughtered, or "harvested" makes them less dead and more palatable....NO?

ha ha ha

anyway, back to topic at hand....lets get a hunting party together!! ha ha ha...of course you got to be a tourist to join....sorry!!

bob

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Brilliant

Hmmm...(while greedily rubbing my hands together).

All jokes aside this is a great idea. I am not an avid hunter myself. However, I am an attorney. And that particular occupation instills one with the ability to smell profit.

Managed correctly, gaming preserves make millions for the enterprising individuals that invest in them. If you don't believe me, just ask those enterprising Southwest Texas landowners who decided to import African game animals onto their properties. And now make millions because enthusiasts pay enormous amounts to be able to shoot a black buck or a wildebeast without buying a ticket to Africa. And the state of Texas nets millions annually charging the aforementioned enthusiasts big bucks for special hunting licenses.

Or ask the state of Mexico how much money is made from hunters flocking to their country every year to hunt dove or fish in "El Salto", reputed to be the best bass fishing in the world.

Unfortunately, these investment require quite a bit of organization and maintenance. Something the Dominican government is not especially known for. Therefore, if this is to be done, it will probably be done by some enterprising (and deep pocketed) gringos. But it would add a potentially lucrative aspect to tourism.

Vince.

vpaul

Aug 13, 2007

I'm an American Sportsman who lives and works in the Santiago area. I saw here in the forum where Laurapasinifan said that he/she had a friend that had 30,000 acreas in batero that was available to hunt wild boar. I travel most years to bow hunt in the US during the game season there. I'd certainly like to do a little boar hunting here. Could someone direct me to someone that could educate me on what is necessary to hunt here in the DR and maybe to some guides. Also are there any other bow hunters here?

vpaul

Aug 13, 2007
New thread - Wild game on Hispanolia

Maybe this should be a new thread. Whatta think?

Someone once told me that years ago Triullio imported mongoose from India to combat the snake issues here on Hispanolia in '37. I also was told that there were White Tail deer imported from the US and released into Cordillera Centro around Constanza. Anyone know anything about these things?

I'm a sportsman (Bow-Hunter) that greatly enjoys stealth in hunting, ie. camouflaged in the woods, scent camo, etc. I've been here 13 yrs and would love to hook-up with some like minded individuals. Anyone with any comments?