Lets Just Say a Storm hits the Island....

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
As we all know, Tropical Depression #4 is bearing down on the carribean and forecasters are predicting that the storm will strengthen into a more formidable storm. - - -

I am heading to SD this weekend for 18 days. - Does anyone know or have experience with this type of storm coming through the DR/SD area? - Here is what I mean. I will be staying at a small hotel and I beleive they have a generator - but...... who knows..... I plan to email the hotel now for details on their preparedness.

Overall, what should I be expecting. - --

Thanks! :paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If I were in Santo Domingo with a hurricane bearing down on me, I would jump on the Caribe tours bus and go to the North coast (POP-Sosua-Cabarete).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You can never tell until the storm is almost here. Could be lots of rain, could form into something bigger. We don't know right now.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can never tell until the storm is almost here. Could be lots of rain, could form into something bigger. We don't know right now.
Typically, how many hours warning would you have to get out of town, once your convinced the city's going to get slammed?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you keep following the hurricane tracks, I guess 2-12 hours.
Hurricane's can turn quickly, all depends on the size, speed etc.

You don't have to go very far inland to be safe.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Hopefully Chris will keep posting updates in the Weather forum daily or more often like 12 hours for those are really concerned.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With a typical concrete reinforced house w/concrete roof NOT in a drainageway, floodway/surge area you will have little to worry about, other than not having power for a few weeks.

Being from South Carolina myself and my family have been through too many hurricanes and if I had a good DR built home back in the States and wasn't in one of the described areas, I doubt anybody could get me to leave.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I would agree with you Chip, for anything less than a Cat 3. For anything more than that, it won't cost you much to evacuate and you'll be safer for it. Anything that strong tears concrete apart like a can opener with a tin can.

Friends of ours on another island sat out a Cat 3 in their hurricane safe room for three days a few years ago. They've done this three times. This time, they're taking an early flight out. It gets old.

Generally, it is early days for this storm. Usually one would have up to 12 hours warning. But, you need to know that a storm can turn even two hours off the coast. So, I am of the opinion, evacuate at the right time, evacuate early enough and be safe. If the storm turns, have a hell of a party and go back home ... safely.

Once, my husband was on the boat, I was at home hunkered down. Hubby was going to do the manly thing and keep the boat safe! I was the coward (checking out the 'hubby insurances' just for incase). The storm turned away from the coast when it was about two hours out. Hubby felt like he was 'cheated' from a 'manly experience' and when he got home, everyone was drunk and disorderly. Hurricane parties are the best!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Generally speaking, Sto Dgo. usually get just "sideswiped" by hurricanes. However, they can be evil things and make quirky turns, like David in 79 or Allen in 80.

Looking at the central part of Santo Domingo, I do worry that a close call will cause havoc on all those high-rises. Might be a good idea to invest in plate glass!!

As for riding out hurricanes, been there and done that. Back in the early 50's along the Carolina coast! and then in the 60s along the Malecon....not the smartest thing to do, IMO. Especially in a town where tin roofing can go flying about....

However, much of the city is fairly well built.

On the North Coast.....heck, I'd even stay at the house in Punta Rucia.!!!

HB

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
If a major Cat 4 or 5 Storm made a direct hit on Santo Domingo today, it would be disaterous. There would be major looting (followed by martial law/cerfews) as the metropolitan electrical grid/infrastructure would be totally detroyed and not rebuilt for at least 3-6 weeks minimum. Country would run out of fuel, as Haina would be shut down, thus tankers would not be able to dock. It would not be fun... no party time. If you could leave before hand, do so. You will be much happier.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
My worries still go on..

My hotel is 200 yards from the Ocean! - - Right now, I am planning to arrive in SD at 3:20 Local on Saturday the 18th. According to the latest NWS projections, the storm track has a 5-day cone of reaching South West of Puerto Rico on Sunday morning.

Looks like I will make to to SD, but who knows after that....

Party at my hotel room on Sunday and Monday.....

:surprised